Recommendations on Dog Ramps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
Our 45 lb dog has trouble getting into the back seat of our full size one ton, crew cab truck and our fifth wheel.  We're leaving on a two to three month trip and want to find something that will help her.  Thanks.

this one worked well for our grandkids' St Bernard.
https://www.chewy.com/pet-gear-full-length-tri-fold-pet/dp/49524?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Pet%20Gear&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwODlBRDuARIsAMy_28XBWK8Oarrt1WQVJrwO4gjCbdM8iJYeMzq0-kjsR0MvLCrSBWzPQZwaAu2wEALw_wcB

Is she an older dog, or is she just not sure about getting in and out?  Our Boxer had no issues, and she was just about that size.  But as she got older, she could no longer get in and out.  Our lab now was at first a little scared, or unsure of jumping up in the truck.  But with a little work, he now has no problem.  Same with the camper.  He really didn't know what to think of them.  But just a little work (well, more than a little for the camper steps), he jumps in and out like a pro now.  So maybe she just needs some work and help.

If she just won't do it, there's something like these https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dog+camper+steps&ref=nb_sb_noss.  A little pricey, and not sure if that's what you're looking for, but maybe it'll give you some ideas anyway.

Good luck.

edjunior said:
Is she an older dog, or is she just not sure about getting in and out? 

She's not an older dog but I can see how she has to twist to get into the back of the truck and up the stairs for the 5th wheel.

Arch Hoagland said:
Your dog isn't the only one that has trouble getting into today's pickups. I have a hard time too.

They should come with ladders!

Yeppers!  I have trouble getting into our monster full size, RAM truck.

MN Blue Skies said:
Our 45 lb dog has trouble getting into the back seat of our full size one ton, crew cab truck and our fifth wheel.  We're leaving on a two to three month trip and want to find something that will help her.  Thanks.

Our pooch is about the same size and we bought this to help him get in & out easily:
https://www.chewy.com/solvit-deluxe-telescoping-pet-ramp/dp/53678

We bought the smaller size but they do have a longer one. He told me that he would definitely recommend this to you.  ;)

jymbee said:
Our pooch is about the same size and we bought this to help him get in & out easily:
https://www.chewy.com/solvit-deluxe-telescoping-pet-ramp/dp/53678

We bought the smaller size but they do have a longer one. He told me that he would definitely recommend this to you.  ;)

Nothing better than a recommendation from another dog.  Is the ramp very heavy and where you to store while you're on the road?

MN Blue Skies said:
Nothing better than a recommendation from another dog.  Is the ramp very heavy and where you to store while you're on the road?

The one we have is 13 lbs. Not that heavy IM0 given the strength. It stores quite nicely folded up in one of our side bins.

One thing our dog wasn't crazy about was the, sandpaper like covering. Good for traction I suppose but too rough for our dog's liking. The simple solution was to cut some pieces of carpet and use a spray adhesive to attach to the ramp. I've heard others say that wasn't an issue so apparently some dogs have different reactions.

The main issue for our dog was entering the coach, not leaving. He just doesn't like the fairly steep, open steps. No problem at all when I set up the ramp as he scoots right up. I set it up to go from the ground to the bottom of the lower step and that gives him a good start to hop up the last two steps inside the coach.

Exiting the coach is another thing altogether. As soon as I open the door and he sees the ramp, he takes one step down then LEAPS down onto the ramp! Such a showoff given his age (12+ yrs) ...  :)

Back
Top Bottom