Recommendations on fixing AC unit plastic cover after hail storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gateway

Hi, we recently have some really bad hail storms in Lake Tahoe.  My old 94 fleetwood flair got hit pretty hard on the top with the AC unit and some of the vent covers due to just the oldness of the plastic.  I'm a bit concerned about the AC unit sections and was wondering if anyone has any sort of DIY type of ideas to cover the areas where I really don't want any rain, snow etc getting in on the top.

I was thinking of some sort of plastic that then could be glued to the stronger parts or screwed in.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• ac.jpg
    ac.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 55
yeah, looks like it's pretty much brittle.  Hard to do much good with that.  Those forward two mounting screws are doing next to nothing, and would require reinforcement.  I'd think you'd be better off trying to replace it with new. 
Maybe check ebay?

If that's not an option... and I'm just "thinking out loud here...
gluing anything to plastic is sometimes hard to do, but not necessarily impossible.  Eternabond two sided tape might be useful?....I'd look for some sheet metal...aluminum maybe...or some similar plastic sheets...and using screws and adhesive basically line the whole thing. Or maybe mask off some "molds" and use some epoxee to fill in the cracks and such....
If it's ABS, it's possible to get some ABS material (lego bricks are a source) and dissolve it in some MEK to make a slurry and basically chemical weld it to the existing.  Figure a way to tape over the wholes with some release paper... kitchen parchment paper for example...and putty it from the inside for hopefully a smoother surface outside...
Maybe some aluminum angle bars bridging between the 4 attachment points holding the whole contraption down....
or
I have doubts though if any of this will work well since the whole thing is brittle, oxidized...and just pretty well shot.

Or Might be easier to just fab up a new box.  Won't look the same but that shouldn't matter much

blw2 said:
yeah, looks like it's pretty much brittle.  Hard to do much good with that.  Those forward two mounting screws are doing next to nothing, and would require reinforcement.  I'd think you'd be better off trying to replace it with new. 
Maybe check ebay?

If that's not an option... and I'm just "thinking out loud here...
gluing anything to plastic is sometimes hard to do, but not necessarily impossible.  Eternabond two sided tape might be useful?....I'd look for some sheet metal...aluminum maybe...or some similar plastic sheets...and using screws and adhesive basically line the whole thing. Or maybe mask off some "molds" and use some epoxee to fill in the cracks and such....
If it's ABS, it's possible to get some ABS material (lego bricks are a source) and dissolve it in some MEK to make a slurry and basically chemical weld it to the existing.  Figure a way to tape over the wholes with some release paper... kitchen parchment paper for example...and putty it from the inside for hopefully a smoother surface outside...
Maybe some aluminum angle bars bridging between the 4 attachment points holding the whole contraption down....
or
I have doubts though if any of this will work well since the whole thing is brittle, oxidized...and just pretty well shot.

Or Might be easier to just fab up a new box.  Won't look the same but that shouldn't matter much

thank you for taking the time to reply.. I may just look at finding something used or new, the used issue may have similar brittle issues.  If I go new I need to figure out how to properly measure/fit the thing.

I've used Awning repair tape as temp fix. Then took the Make, Model, and Serial number of the unit.. and bought a New Shroud.

HINT ? Bought a sheet of Aluminum (Home Depot) and cut it to just short of the square dimension of the shroud.. Screwed & Glued (Di cor) to the top of the shroud.. It takes the Hits.. instead of the Plastic ?

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/search?categoryId=&query=a%2Fc+shrouds
elmers is not going to fix them. you will probably have to replace them with new as any used one you find will be brittle just like yours

You could always patch the holes with tape or something, then make a new cover using fiberglass using the old one as a mold. It just depends on if you want to put in the time vs a new unit.

not trying to be sarcastic but for that one I would get a roll of gorilla tape until I could find a replacement.  When you do get one I recommend you  paint it with a UV resistant paint.

Thanks everyone, going to patch it up simple for now, we usually do no get any rain during the summer outside of crazy storms randomly.  I also have an email out to a vendor to see if they have something similar that would match.  I dont care about spending the money and im glad I climbed on my roof to see recently :)

Looks like a replacement cover is called for. THere are some products you could use  But short of removing the solar panel. laying a sheet metal sheet over everythign and then re-attaching the solar panel to the sheet metal NO suggestions and if the plastic is as brittle as it appears. that may not work either.

We had a discussion about repairing a shroud a while back. First I'll provide a link to buy a new one:
http://www.icondirect.com/categories/RV-Exterior-Parts/Air-Conditioner-Shrouds/

Here is the discussion. It may help you.
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,111383.msg1004980.html#msg1004980

Looks like an old Coleman Duotherm
I htink this might be the replacement
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Shroud-Artic-White-8335A5261/dp/B004RCP0IE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1532997858&sr=8-7&keywords=rv+air+conditioner+shroud

or on Ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MaxxAir-Ventilation-Solutions-00-325001-Air-Conditioner-Shroud-/132408487087

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom