Recommendations on trucks for towing 5th wheeler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stufoley

Just bought a Keystone Laredo 5th wheel, 1st timer, and keeping it parked at a local campground for now. Just curious to hear thoughts on preferred trucks for towing. Thanks for your time.

Stay away from any 1/2 ton trucks.

If you get a SRW vehicle, get a 1-ton truck.  They cost the same as a 3/4 ton.  All things being equal, Diesel will be better.

If you want a dual wheel truck, get a F450 class truck.  And it should be diesel.

Wise decision to get the RV you want and then start looking for a tow vehicle that can safely tow it. Do you plan to buy a new TV or used?

stufoley said:
Just bought a Keystone Laredo 5th wheel, 1st timer, and keeping it parked at a local campground for now. Just curious to hear thoughts on preferred trucks for towing. Thanks for your time.

If you will post the exact model/year of the 5ver that you bought, that would be a huge help in making suggestions for what TV to get.  As you may or may not know, there are lots of different sizes and weights for trailers, and without that information, it is pretty much impossible for anyone to help you.

It is a very good suggestion to decide on the RV, and then the tow vehicle. Though, I’ll throw in my thought....buy a little more tow vehicle, than you need. You’ll never regret the “little more” truck.....plus many new rv’ers up grade to larger, heavier rv’s after a few years. It would be nice to have a truck already outfitted, the way you want it!  Any of the “big three” trucks will likely do anything you need done.....it comes down to, which you prefer!

xrated said:
If you will post the exact model/year of the 5ver that you bought, that would be a huge help in making suggestions for what TV to get.  As you may or may not know, there are lots of different sizes and weights for trailers, and without that information, it is pretty much impossible for anyone to help you.

THIS.  Can't help without the numbers.

nibroc said:
....I assume TV means tow vehicle-----but I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier...... ???

You would be correct ;D

nibroc said:
....I assume TV means tow vehicle-----but I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier...... ???

Sorry, I try not to use jargon with people new to RVing, but messed up in your case. When I first joined the forum, I was so confused by the term "TV," thinking everyone was talking about their televisions. LOL

nibroc said:

It took me a while to get used to this when I first joined, too.

OP:  Welcome to the Forum! 
Year and model would help, so we know the weight. 
Without that, forget all about ? ton pickups.  The question becomes ? ton or 1 ton.  Since they are exactly the same physical dimension within a manufacturer, get the 1 ton with at least 1000 lb more payload for nearly the same price.

I have a 2018 Dodge Ram 4500 flatbed to pull my 2018 Grand Design 350M toy hauler fifth wheel and LOVE it!  The engine brake on the Cummins diesel makes a world of difference!

As everyone else has said, the devil is in the details. We had first class advice from the clever people on this forum. Ended up with a Ford F350 diesel swb that pulls like a train. Only downside is the difference in fuel cost from regular to diesel. Furnish the details of your fifth wheel and wait for the help to flow.

I tow a 37' FW with a GMC 2500 HD Duramax. It has plenty of power but I put Biltstein shocks on it so it rides a little harsh when not towing. If I used a truck only for towing, I think a long bed dually would be the better truck for the job.

Senator said:
Stay away from any 1/2 ton trucks.

If you get a SRW vehicle, get a 1-ton truck.  They cost the same as a 3/4 ton.  All things being equal, Diesel will be better.

If you want a dual wheel truck, get a F450 class truck.  And it should be diesel.

my 350 has a 500lbs higher payload than a similar equiped 450 - yes you read right - reason being the 450 has a 4.10 rear(standard with no option) and the 350 comes as 3.73 or 3.55 the 3.55 has the higher payload

gravesdiesel said:
I have a 2018 Dodge Ram 4500 flatbed to pull my 2018 Grand Design 350M toy hauler fifth wheel and LOVE it!  The engine brake on the Cummins diesel makes a world of difference!

all 3 big manufactures GM Ford And Ram all have a factory equiped exhaust brake on 350s and up

stufoley said:

First question is how do you plan on using the camper?
Leaving it at a campground year round?
Weekend trips with an occasional week long trip?
Full timing?

Next question is where?
Flatlands, hills, mountains, or a combination of them?

What are the plans with the tow vehicle when its not towing? Parked between trips, or daily driver?

steveblonde said:
my 350 has a 500lbs higher payload than a similar equiped 450 - yes you read right - reason being the 450 has a 4.10 rear(standard with no option) and the 350 comes as 3.73 or 3.55 the 3.55 has the higher payload
The 2017+ Ford F450 only has a 4.30 axle ratio and it was an option before that I believe.

Back
Top Bottom