Recommended handheld radios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
I'm looking for a quality set of 2-way handheld radios (walkie talkie style) mostly for camping, nature walks, etc.  Most often I'd probably hand one radio to one of my older kids when they want to go out exploring, and keep the other radio in the house or RV.

I ran across this pair of BaoFeng BF-888S on Amazon, highly rated and labeled as "Amazon's Choice" in the walkie talkie category.  However several reviews/questions/answers mention that these operate on radio frequencies that require a Ham license... and then others claim there is no problems with using them and/or they can be programmed to be used on "safe" frequencies.

Can anyone with knowledge of these issues advise?  And/or recommend a good set of 2-way radios that won't break the bank?

Whoever said you needed a license is correct.

The FCC allows only certain radio types to be operated with the power output of those radios without a license. FRS radios, for instance, are licenseless, but operate at 250mw, with a fixed, built-in, specifically designed antenna. The Baofeng radios do not meet that definition. Even GMRS require a license, and is limited in power to 1/2 of the radio's high power output.

There is a lot of confusion since these cheap devices have hit the market, but the bottom line is, in China, they can manufacture devices that operate outside the limits of the law here in the US. Since they seem to also be able to convince the FCC that they can and will be operated by people knowledgeable in the arcane rules of the FCC, and will operate them in a licensed, lawful manner,  the FCC lets them sell the devices.

Sorry, GMRS is your best option - Get a license (it will apply to your immediate family), and use the licensed GMRS channel (Read the book) for your best communications.

Or, get everyone a HAM license - It's cheap, easy, and useful in emergencies or out in the wilds.

Michael Soots, KD7YPY, Amateur Radio Instructor and Public Safety Radio System manager.

We have a couple pairs of Motorola TalkAbout FRS radios. About $50 a pair with rechargeable battery and drop-in charger.

I also have a BaoFeng UV-5R, quite a radio for 35 bucks. At that price, who cares if you break it or lose it?

HappyWanderer said:
I also have a BaoFeng UV-5R, quite a radio for 35 bucks. At that price, who cares if you break it or lose it?

I ran across that one too, and currently priced at $24.86 (each) on Amazon.

How would a GMRS radio (and being a licensed user) be superior to an "over the counter" walkie talkie bought from some retail store?  More power and better range I assume?

scottydl said:
How would a GMRS radio (and being a licensed user) be superior to an "over the counter" walkie talkie bought from some retail store?  More power and better range I assume?

I presume that by "walkie talkie" you're referring to an FRS (Family Radio Service) radio? GMRS allows more power and (if not on an FRS radio) it also allows better antennas, which can be more important than power.

The rules are very confusing, which is probably why they are so frequently ignored.

FRS (Family Radio Service) is limited to 1/2 watt and cannot use detachable antennas. No license is required.

GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) requires a license, and 50 watts is allowed on eight certain channels, as are repeaters.

There are seven other GMRS channels limited to 5 watts with base station antennas no taller than 20 feet. Unlicensed FRS radios are also allowed to use these seven channels, but with the FRS power and antenna restrictions.

Aren't you glad you asked?

No antennas would be exchanged with my use... ;)  I'm just talking just about using these handhelds around campgrounds (no base stations or repeaters), but for wooded areas it would be nice to have something with some extra power/range capabilities.

We use 22-channel Cobra's that we bought at Walmart.  If you are not talking about more than a couple of miles, these work great.  I think we paid about $50.00 for them.

scottydl said:
Most often I'd probably hand one radio to one of my older kids when they want to go out exploring, and keep the other radio in the house or RV.

jsetti said:
We use 22-channel Cobra's that we bought at Walmart.  If you are not talking about more than a couple of miles, these work great.  I think we paid about $50.00 for them.

Which brings me to my question...
When you hand a handset to one of your kids and they run out into the woods, what kind of distance are we talking? Do you really need to get a ham license for anything inside a mile?
Sounds like overkill to me. A simple 11 meter (CB) handset should work just fine. Unless you're camping in the mountains.

Besides, I thought all parents bought their kids cell phones now days?!  ;)

denmarc said:
Sounds like overkill to me. A simple 11 meter (CB) handset should work just fine.

It probably is.  What even got me on this topic was that original set of cheap (but very highly rated) BaoFeng radios on Amazon, that I was about to buy until I ran across the user comments about needing a license to operate them.

denmarc said:
Besides, I thought all parents bought their kids cell phones now days?!  ;)

That's an option... but not free.  My son's phone is a prepaid Tracfone, and he knows he is responsible for keeping track of his minutes/texts (which are not unlimited.

Additionally we've been in plenty of campground areas that have little/no cell service.

Scott

Probably more than you want to spend...https://www.amazon.com/Icom-IC-F4011-41-RC-Two-Way-Radio/dp/B002UEXYQG

They have a good 2-3 mile range, unlike those cheap FRS radios

Unless you get a ham license, you're going to be legally restricted to either CB with it's long, ungainly antennas or the little 1/2 watt FRS radios.

Anything bigger than that requires a license of some kind - either a ham radio license or GMRS (fill out and send in the license form along with $70 for a 5 year license).  The no-code Technician class ham radio license isn't that hard to get and would be a good exercise for your kids.

If you want to be 100% legal without getting ham licenses, I recommend a licensed GMRS radio with a good antenna mounted on the RV, then give each kid a little FRS radio tuned to one of the combined GMRS/FRS channels.

They'll be able to talk among themselves, and the GMRS radio and good antenna on the RV will let you call out a good distance to them.  Their little FRS radios might not make it back with a reply, but the superior antenna on the RV will pull out the weak signals over a longer distance than trying to talk directly from one FRS handheld to the other.

If you're not concerned about being strictly legal, a pair of the Baofengs tuned to the FRS/GMRS frequencies will work well, especially if you have one connected to a good external antenna on the RV.  Program it and lock it down (via the front panel keyboard button) so you don't stray from the GMRS/FRS frequencies and you should be OK unless someone asks about it.  Kind of like being a little bit overlength / overweight in an RV.

There is another aspect to this. If you got the radios you want and didn't get the license, you don't really think the FCC police are going to track you down and throw your family in jail? Do ya?

I'm not condoning breaking the law. But sometimes common sense and practicality just seems to trump sending the gubment more money.

I'm curious as to why certain radio bands require licensing (especially where no particular skills are required, i.e. no test or increased knowledge are needed), when not used/protected for use by emergency services such as police, fire, rescue, airline traffic, etc.

scottydl said:
I'm curious as to why certain radio bands require licensing (especially where no particular skills are required, i.e. no test or increased knowledge are needed), when not used/protected for use by emergency services such as police, fire, rescue, airline traffic, etc.

Can you imagine the choas if it wasn't this way? A free-for-all where anyone could do as they wanted.

Most bands have a detailed process of frequency coordination to limit interference.

HappyWanderer said:
Can you imagine the choas if it wasn't this way? A free-for-all where anyone could do as they wanted.

Is this sarcasm?  (I honestly cannot tell.)

I asked my question because it really doesn't seem like problems would result from limited public use of certain radio waves.  I say "limited" since radio communication (by voice, i.e. Handheld or console radios) is fairly rare these days.  I can't imagine any particular kind of chaos ensuing.

scottydl said:
Is this sarcasm?  (I honestly cannot tell.)

I asked my question because it really doesn't seem like problems would result from limited public use of certain radio waves.  I say "limited" since radio communication (by voice, i.e. Handheld or console radios) is fairly rare these days.  I can't imagine any particular kind of chaos ensuing.

No, very serious. Competition for radio spectrum space is fierce, just the opposite from how you describe it.

HappyWanderer said:
Competition for radio spectrum space is fierce, just the opposite from how you describe it.

How so?  I'm seriously interested in learning here.

And just to reinterate, I'm not talking about the airspace related to commercial aspects like cell phone communication, etc.  Obviously there are millions of dollars at stake there, so I can see how competition would be a huge factor.

But GMRS?  You are magically licensed by mailing a check.  There are no other standards or requirements in place.  Heck even my dog has to have proof of the annual rabies shot before my county will license her.  ;)

Like HappyWanderer said, competition for radio spectrum is intense.  Cellular and data comms are merely the latest fad - there's a deep, entrenched network of users including military and public safety that depend on reliable use of conventional radio spectrum.  To the point where the government is shuffling the deck and re-assigning TV station frequencies at a cost of billions of dollars to free up more spectrum for voice and data use.

It's not that conventional radio use has become more "rare" but that wireless communication has become ubiquitous.  Cellular is just a way to slice the frequency pie more thinly, allowing more users to share the spectrum.

That magic GMRS license enters you into a database that makes it easier to find the responsible party if there's a problem.  Pretty much the same way vehicle and drivers licenses make it easier to identify who's responsible for that multi-ton vehicle careening down the highway.

FRS radios are like the bicycle or moped of the airways.  The don't need a license because they're pretty much foolproof, without the power or frequency flexibility to interfere with other licensed users.

GMRS takes it a step further, still pretty much foolproof to operate, but with more power comes more potential to create interference over a wider area.  The license makes it easier to locate the responsible party if there is a problem.

Ham radios can transmit over virtually unlimited frequencies, including those used by public safety and commercial users.  As such, users have to pass a knowledge test showing they know how to use them without causing interference to others.  Note that the GMRS license is issued to a particular radio, while a ham license is issued to an individual who is then able to use any radio.

All of this may not be much of an issue deep in the woods where there's no one else within range, but how about in the middle of a crowded city?  Or maybe there's a repeater tower hidden in the woods that retransmits your off-frequency signal to half the state?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom