Redneck yobs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carl L

Moderator Emeritus
You made the one about the shark fishing up, right?

I couldn't make up something like that.  It was in an Outdoor Life or Field and Stream article a million years ago, complete with piccys of the yobs.  Looking at them, I would kinda root for the shark.

Carl
Having fished off Padre Island many times for shark (very good eating by the way) I guess that makes me a redneck yob. Actually Hatteras is also a good place for shark fishing. A friend pulled in a 12 footer on 20 pound test there one day.

Robert

Carl has been spending too much time in the UK forum and no longer realizes if he's speaking Britspeak or Amerispeak  ;D

Tom said:
I was referring to the term "yob".

The Chicago Tribune has an article this morning on "Happy Slap Yobs". I just kept picturing Clockwork Orange while reading it.

One dictionary's definition:

"a cruel and brutal fellow [syn: bully, tough, hooligan, ruffian, roughneck, rowdy, yobo, yobbo"  :)

Tom said:
One dictionary's definition:

"a cruel and brutal fellow [syn: bully, tough, hooligan, ruffian, roughneck, rowdy, yobo, yobbo"  :)

And of course, 'yob' is 'boy' spelled backward.

BernieD said:
And of course, 'yob' is 'boy' spelled backward.

LOL Bernie, that's the first time I've seen it used in that context. In Britspeak the term 'yob' is clearly understood, although sometimes undeservedly applied.

Tom said:
LOL Bernie, that's the first time I've seen it used in that context. In Britspeak the term 'yob' is clearly understood, although sometimes undeservedly applied.

Actually I learned about yob from the Chicago Tribune article this morning. It apparently goes back a long time. I've copied the Tribune article paragraph where it talks about the origin.

"Happy slapping is the latest manifestation of what Britons call "yob culture." The word "yob" dates to the 19th Century--it likely derives from "boy" spelled backward--and it denotes a kind of loutish, anti-social behavior associated with working-class youth in Britain's urban centers. The British soccer hooligan is the quintessential yob"

BernieD said:
The word "yob" dates to the 19th Century--it likely derives from "boy" spelled backward

Didn't know that, although I suppose it wouldn't have been hard to figure out  :)  Just never thought of it.

it denotes a kind of loutish, anti-social behavior associated with working-class youth in Britain's urban centers. The British soccer hooligan is the quintessential yob"

Quite accurate in respect of the way in which it's used.

Isn't the English language interesting?  ;D

caltex said:
Carl
Having fished off Padre Island many times for shark (very good eating by the way) I guess that makes me a redneck yob. Actually Hatteras is also a good place for shark fishing. A friend pulled in a 12 footer on 20 pound test there one day.

Only if you have a full beard and a leather chain festooned vest and greasy jeans.  Just reporting on the lads featured in the pictures with the article. 

LOL Carl, I have a full beard and used to wear a leather jacket for protection on my motorcycle. I've been known to wear jeans that got greasy when I had to fix something on the bike. So what does that make me?  ;D

LOL Carl, I have a full beard and used to wear a leather jacket for protection on my motorcycle. I've been known to wear jeans that got greasy when I had to fix something on the bike. So what does that make me? 

Hmmm.  So who you rooting for, Man U?  Arsenal? 

LOL Carl, neither. I'm not a soccer fan. Much prefer rugby and you won't see hooliganism at a rugby game, on or off the field.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom