Reece Sidewinder & Curt A20 hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jrmed

I have a problem with my Reece Sidewinder and my Curt A20 hitch. I purchased the wedge that is supposed to work with the Curt A20 hitch and installed it on the sidewinder. With the wedge all the way forward it still didn’t make good contact resulting in a noticeable shift of the sidewinder ( which is supposed to be stationary) when changing lanes or making turns at speed. It’s a noticeable weight shift. It will get your attention. I talked to Reece ( which is now Horizon Global) and they said there must have need a spec change somewhere and they sent me another wedge. This one is tighter, but the angle of the wedge and the angle of the Curt guide plate is not the same. There is a gap from contact on the rear of the wedge forward. I believe this is where the shift is occurring. Has anyone else experienced this? I’m sure that weight shift can’t be normal from a safety standpoint. Anyone experienced this issue? Thanks

I think you have identified the problem correctly but only the Sidewinder people can help you with the correct locking wedge. Is this the one you originally used? If so, what did Sidewinder offer as an alternative? It sounds as though the 2nd one isn't right either. Did you advise them their second choice doesn't work either?

The A in A20 stands for articulating the head unit moves around a lot i have an A25 and ive noticed it can be a little finicky unhooking sometimes, things have to be very straight and balanced if not it doesnt like to release the jaws - im GUESSING that the sidewinder is not compatible with the jaws - they changed them from the Q20, we have had issues with them not liking hitches before at the shop and even the reese rep acknowledged some issues

I’m hauling a 2021 Jayco 35’ fifth wheel with a 2020 Dosge Ram 2500. I do have the ram box which is why I had to buy the sidewinder. Wish I had a do over on that. When I contacted Reece they acknowledged a change had occurred somewhere either with them or Curt. They overnighted a new one that as I said was better, but still not quite right. I’m in contact with them again and they have suggested trying some things when hooking up to get the kingpin all the was back in the jaws and moving the wedge forward as far as I can. I’ve done all that initially. I guess I was just curious to see if anyone else with my setup experienced the same problem. If I can’t get a solution through Reece guess might next option would be to purchase a Reece fifth wheel hitch for my bed. More $$$. Thanks for everyone’s reply.

I’m hauling a 2021 Jayco 35’ fifth wheel with a 2020 Dosge Ram 2500. I do have the ram box which is why I had to buy the sidewinder. Wish I had a do over on that. When I contacted Reece they acknowledged a change had occurred somewhere either with them or Curt. They overnighted a new one that as I said was better, but still not quite right. I’m in contact with them again and they have suggested trying some things when hooking up to get the kingpin all the was back in the jaws and moving the wedge forward as far as I can. I’ve done all that initially. I guess I was just curious to see if anyone else with my setup experienced the same problem. If I can’t get a solution through Reece guess might next option would be to purchase a Reece fifth wheel hitch for my bed. More $$$. Thanks for everyone’s reply.
Good luck keep us posted. The Q20 may be a better fit and cheaper because your only switching heads and not the base as well. I would call curts cs line

Just an update, after discussions with Reece, I’m going to change the fifth wheel hitch to a Reece M5. Hopefully having everything Reece will solve my problem. For anyone that is considering the combination I had the issues with, you may want to reconsider. It may save a few headaches down the road. Thanks for all the comments.

Just an update, after discussions with Reece, I’m going to change the fifth wheel hitch to a Reece M5. Hopefully having everything Reece will solve my problem. For anyone that is considering the combination I had the issues with, you may want to reconsider. It may save a few headaches down the road. Thanks for all the comments.
Good luck hopefully it will solve your problem

Back
Top Bottom