Refilling 1lb propane cans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeandJane

There is LOTS of info and videos about refilling your 1lb propane cans, and a little info about how dangerous it is.  I really can?t stand just throwing these away and the recyclers will not take them.  Have you done your own refills or have any experience positive or negative on this??

Yes, I have refilled them. I found that they didn't hold as much. It is legal to refill them. But it is illegal to transport refilled bottles. Of course, we would never do that would we? (wink)

I used to refill mine but found it easier to buy them. Like ChasA said they dont hold as much on the refill but there is a way to get a complete fill. Either connect empty tank to a vacuum pump or heat the tank, bleed it off then connect to full tank and refrigerate the 1 lb canister while filling. Thats a lot more involved just for a small tank.

Agree with the others - refilling is somewhat of a pain and the bottles don't completely refill anyway.  I found I had to put the bottles in the freezer for 30 minutes before refilling to get them to accept even 1/2-3/4 lb of LP.  After doing several for one season of travel, I gave up on refills and went back to buying them. The off-brands that sell at discount prices work fine and 4 or 6-packs often go on sale. Refilling is just a PITA for only a small reward.

I suppose the safety experts can think of many ways things could go wrong with the refill procedure, but I don't see it as particularity unsafe for anybody who is moderately handy.  It's mostly just awkward (inverting a 20# tank over a little bottle).

My ultimate solution was to carry a small 5# LP tank and an adapter hose to connect to the grill.  Works like a champ and doesn't take much space.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Worthington-Pro-Grade-4-25-lbs-Empty-Steel-Propane-Tank-281149/202034835

Gary RV_Wizard said:
My ultimate solution was to carry a small 5# LP tank and an adapter hose to connect to the grill.  Works like a champ and doesn't take much space.

And (obviously) lasts five times as long. Refilled mine at Uhaul last week, $3

Sun2Retire said:
And (obviously) lasts five times as long. Refilled mine at Uhaul last week, $3

Take it back. I think you were ripped off.  ;D ;D ;D  That's a outrageous price, How can people afford it.

JoeandJane said:
There is LOTS of info and videos about refilling your 1lb propane cans, and a little info about how dangerous it is.  I really can?t stand just throwing these away and the recyclers will not take them.  Have you done your own refills or have any experience positive or negative on this??

Target practice.  :)

I have a lot of things that use the 1lb cylinders, especially for my bug fogger, so I absolutely refill. I spent $8 on the adapter from amazon and it has already paid for itself. It's almost $4 for a 1lb cylinder where I am and it costs $16 to refill a 20lb cylinder.

It's actually cheaper for me to use an external tank than fill my onboard because they only place in town that fills is inflated over market price, but I pay the extra for the convenience. Last time I filled, it was $30 for 8.5 gallons which equates to about $3.50/gallon vs national average of about $2.50.

When filling, I do not freeze my cans and they are almost full every time. The trick is to use a bent nose hemostat to pull up on the external release valve until a little bit of fluid comes out. That releases the gasses that are trapped inside. It is perfectly safe. Every time I fill our onboard propane tank on our MH, that's how they tell that its full.  But obviously you shouldn't have an open flame nearby or be smoking when you do it.

Though I do keep a disposable or 2 about for when I need to use a torch.

For Grilling I went with one of two choicces

An Extend-a-Stay (motor home) or Extend-a-flow (Trailer with removable tanks) and hose when close enough... or....

A 20-25 pound (originally a 5 pounder) luggable with the proper adapter hose .

NOTE. the luggable also can supply the RV should the main tank run DRY.  Had to do that for a while last year.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Worthington-Pro-Grade-4-25-lbs-Empty-Steel-Propane-Tank-281149/202034835

I bought one of these on Amazon Gary and it works great. I use it for the BBQ or even my propane fire pit. The fire pit gets about 2 uses out of a fill. Fits easily in the slide out tray.  I bought the adapter hose as well to hook it to the BBQ.

Back
Top Bottom