Reflectix and Rmax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

signcut

I'm currently in SW Louisiana, and like much of the south, it can get brutal hot (and humid) over the summer. I spent much of this last hot season in the fifth wheel, and the A/C worked its buns off, sometimes to little avail. Luckily, I worked mostly days, and went home on the weekends, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Plus, fans help!

That said, however, in the future (next summer, to be exact), I'd like to be in better shape for the heat, and to that end will be doing some work on the A/C, but am also going to try to keep the interior of the 5W cooler by using some not-so-extreme measures; mainly, insulation. While the previous owners had used (and left) some Rmax board insulation, I'm thinking of pairing that with Reflectix, with the Reflectix being next to the window, and the Rmax to the inside. The thought is that it appears that the Rmax is more of a barrier to keep what's in, in, and the Reflectix works more to keep heat from sunlight out.

I'd like to think that this is a workable idea; has anyone done something like this (and did it work), or is there just a better solution already out there...?

Reflectix has an R-value of 1, meaning no insulating capability. It is exactly what it says, a reflector.  If you want insulation, use the Rmax. Plus it has aluminum foil surfaces that act as reflectors.
Insulation works in both directions, inhibiting heat flow either in or out.  Reflectors work in whatever direction the radiant energy comes from and are more effective with waves of sun energy or radiant heat.

We bought a roll of Reflectix and cut it to fit each window, shiny side out.  It made a noticeable difference in the temperature inside.  We used it last Christmas too when it was 15 degrees outside and it seemed to help there too - at least it wasn't as cold when sitting right next to a window.

I read a blog one time where someone made a roof cover out of Reflectix and claimed that helped more than anything.  I don't remember how they kept it from blowing off.

Edited:  I found it.  It wasn't a blog after it, it was a youtube video.  Here is the installation and there is another video made 6 months later after a big storm.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkIvvH1Lkr8

Amazon sells this so as a result has many reviews by people who have bought it for RV use.  They all seem to be very positive with noticeable results in that application. 

Graycat said:
We bought a roll of Reflectix and cut it to fit each window, shiny side out.  It made a noticeable difference in the temperature inside.  We used it last Christmas too when it was 15 degrees outside and it seemed to help there too - at least it wasn't as cold when sitting right next to a window.

I read a blog one time where someone made a roof cover out of Reflectix and claimed that helped more than anything.  I don't remember how they kept it from blowing off.

Edited:  I found it.  It wasn't a blog after it, it was a youtube video.  Here is the installation and there is another video made 6 months later after a big storm.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkIvvH1Lkr8

I like it for use as a windshield/side window sun shade...but covering the roof? I'd hate to be driving behind that rig when it blows off the top...

I've cut Reflectix to fit our windshield and side cab windows, since I don't like the curtain that came with the rig.  I use aluminum duct tape around the edges to give it a bit more rigidity.  They are slightly oversized so they fit snugly and don't fall off. 

This makes a noticeable and fairly significant difference in our comfort level.  Really does cut down the heat quite a bit.  Takes less than a minute to put them in or take them out. 

Bonus:  Cuts the sunlight in the morning to almost nil for late sleepers.

I have some cut for my Main (Front) window) and read on..

One day it was very hot I'd not put it in the window so the A/Cs were ont doing the job so I got it out and put in in the window.. By the time I finished it was already nearly 5 Degrees COOLER inside the RV BY MEASUREMENT.

In my half bath.. I used a sheet of aluminum foil (Since the glass is marbled you can't tell it's Tin-Foil overing the window from outside) it fit perfectly and again made a big difference  Almost instantly. I'll do the main bath (Now used only for storage) likely today since I need to "Dig" something out.

BoomerD said:
I like it for use as a windshield/side window sun shade...but covering the roof? I'd hate to be driving behind that rig when it blows off the top...
  I'd have to watch her videos again, but I think she was permanently on her site.

FunSteak said:
Bonus:  Cuts the sunlight in the morning to almost nil for late sleepers.
That's right!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom