Refrigerator, on or off in storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wsweet2

Fairly new at RVing, have been told in storage, turn the Ref. off.? Not two weeks later was told be sure to keep in running or the ammonia would settle to the bottom.? Our unit is stored about 1/2 the time.? Comments would be appreciated.

We are Square--------------------Dancers that is.

Off, and prop the doors open a tad so it will air out and mold / mildew won't grow. I turn mine on when I pick the trailer up from storage and turn it off when I put it back.

Larry

I know with these absorption units, it will not hurt them to run as there is no moving parts.  Its all about energy and how often you need it.  If mine worked on electric then I would leave it running all the time.  I have a buddy that leaves his on all the time while plugged in.  Just load it up and go.  Once I get mine fixed to run on A/C then it will be on all the time.

If off, I have heard of putting in wadded up news paper to help with humidity and mold.  Propping it open as well.

Good luck either way.

Jeff

We've always left ours off when not in use. Never had a problem. We turn it on a day or two before loading it up, with ice bottles to help cool it down. Why use up electric juice if you're not using the frig?? Parents keep theirs on all the time but they use it as an extra frig.

I use mind hopefully two or three weekends a month. It's turned on when i get it ready in spring and then shut off for winterr. I will turn the temp down when not in use during camping season.

wsweet2 said:
Fairly new at RVing, have been told in storage, turn the Ref. off.  Not two weeks later was told be sure to keep in running or the ammonia would settle to the bottom.  Our unit is stored about 1/2 the time.  Comments would be appreciated.

We are Square--------------------Dancers that is.

There should be no problem with leaving it off when not in use. Be sure to prop the doors open so mold and mildew will not form. Many refers today have an easy way to do that. No need to keep it running when not in use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom