Refrigerator requirements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Henry

Hello,

while I was looking at motorhomes i Sweden i noticed that there are, apart from size, obvious differences in how the refrigerators looks in Sweden compared to the US. This lead me to wonder what the major differences are.

When you buy a motorhome what demands do you have concerning the fridge when it comes to size, interior, extra functions like ice maker and so on?

Is there a difference if you use your RV for shorter or longer periods? Also i wonder if there is a difference in needs depending on which age the user are. I am around 30 and i do not have same demands as my parents.

There are many options, Some folks want more freezer space, some more fridge, some larger, some smaller, I'd have to say the only requirement is "Freezer hits zero degrees "F" (around -15 C) fridge 33-40 F (1 to 5 C)

NOTE conversions are rounded

Beyond that,  Low power consumption and/or propane operation is a must for RVs  I have both a standard 120 vac/ propane RV fridge/freezer and a seperate 12 volt chest freezer in my rig

Ice maker is optional and just now I'm missing a part so it won't make ice.. Don't even know if I'll replace the missing part (Solenoid I remove it in the winter and forgot where I put it, or it got "Cleaned" on me, don't know which, don';t really care)

Size is the biggest concern for us - we live in the coach several months a year and need room for our usual food & drinks, just like we would at home.
Functionally, the two major brands available here are similar, so size and layout are the deciding points. However, you seldom get to choose which make & model you want in an RV anyway, so to a certain extent the fridge size/style is one of many tradeoffs in selecting the RV itself.

Ok so size, layout and power consumption are important factors.

How would the "optimal" refer look like when it comes to function and style?

How would the "optimal" refer look like when it comes to function and style

Not sure what you are asking, Henry. It has shelves and a freezer section. Big doors on the outside, You know, it  looks like a fridge. ;)  I'm sure you meant something different than what I replied with, so maybe restating the question would help. . 

Ok, I'll try restating the question :)

How would your refrigerator look like (size, layout, functions) if you could buy or construct the "perfect" fridge?

The answer depends on your needs.

For us, it needs to have plenty of space for beverages, soda/beer cans & bottles, a couple two  liter soda bottles and some water bottles. Then some fairly deep shelves, sufficient for the occasional casserole dish or tray of hors d'oeuvres (we do rallies and happy hours regularly).  A freezer shelf deep enough for a frozen pizza is also highly desirable! And an ice maker. A total of 12-14 cubic feet of space.

For home appliances a new trend seems to be drawer fridges. I think those are very visionary and also more energy efficient since you don't loose as much cold as in a door model when opening the fridge.

In European motorhomes the size could maybe be a problem for this type of fridge but is it the same for American motorhomes?

Back
Top Bottom