Refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dick Papaleo

Hi folks, I have a new class A MH with a 120volt only refrigerator. My question is can I run the unit with my inverter while traveling or do I need to run the generator. And if so how long will the inverter support it. I have a 2000 watt inverter and four six volt batt.  Most of the questions I see on the forum are related to 12V or propane. I know some one out there can help.

Thanks

Your four six volt batteries are wired in a series parallel fashion to produce 12 volts.  You should be able to run the refer on the inverter anytime you are traveling and when boondocking.  Your batteries should be charging while driving so go ahead and have fun.

Dick,

As Lou said, you can run the refridgerator off the inverter while travelling or while boondocking. You do need to calculate how long you can run before the batteries need recharging though. Let us know which make/model of your refridgerator and we should be able to help you calculate that.

FYI the four 6 volt batteries will have a total capacity of 440 amp-hours but, since you shouldn't regularly disharge them below 50%, you really have 220 amp-hours.

Edit: Just saw Ned's note - he's right, some (many?) RVs dont have their refridgerator wired to the inverter.

Are you sure your refrigerator is on the inverter circuit?  Many are wired to only use shore or generator power and run on propane when no AC is available.

Thanks for the quick response, The refrigerator is a G.E. Model GSS23KGSA BB 110 Volt 60HZ 11.6 amps. I will need to contact Gulf Stream to find out if they limited the operation to generator or electric hook up, buy the way this is in a 2006 Gulf Steam Tour Master if that makes any difference. Look forward to more input.

Thanks

Dick,

Mine is a 12vdc/120vac unit that is wired for either shore power, genset, or inverter. I found that out the hard way. An electric only unit like yours will take roughly 1276 Watts, but I think that is starting power; not continuous running power. An easy way to check yours is to run on the inverter (unplug from shore power), then turn the fridge thermostat to its' coldest setting. If the compressor starts (and/or the lights dim ;)), you'll know. Don't forget to return the thermostat back to its' original setting

We always run our Norcold on the inverter while on the road.  The engine alternator does a dandy job of keeping up with the occasional ~400 watt load (our usual house inverter load is about 100 watts, the fridge adds about 300 watts when it is 'running'.) 

I'm assuming here, but it sounds like you have a house type of fridge with a compressor (instead of a gas absorbion fridge like Norcold or Dometic) - your 11.6 amp rating means it will draw about 1400 watts while running and probably a little more on compressor start.  I don't think I'd want my alternator cranking out 110 amps to feed the inverter to feed the fridge for hours at a time.

Maybe the thing to do is run the gen set for one hour out of every three or so while on the road.

Here is an update to my question about my refrigerator. I contacted Gulf Stream and they said my MH was wired for generator, shore power and inverter. They also said I could use the inverter while traveling to power the refrigerator. Good news!

Thanks for the help

Dick

Back
Top Bottom