Registering an out of state RV in California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ukrv

Is this possible?

What does it entail?

I want to purchase an RV from a friend in Arizona, but am not sure if I will be able to register it in California, anyone know the procedure?  I have been to the DMV site........Just can't make head nor tail of the rules.
Thanks in advance

Carol

Do you really want to register it in California? You'll have to pay sales tax. Vehicle registrations are high compared to many other states. Are you a California resident?

wendycoke said:
Do you really want to register it in California? You'll have to pay sales tax. Vehicle registrations are high compared to many other states. Are you a California resident?

Yes we live in California, but as I said I have a chance of a real good deal from a friend, and I would hate to buy the RV then realise I cannot register it in California!

Does anybody know what I would have to do to the RV to bring it upto California specifications?  I guess if it has a EPA sticker on it that mentions California I would be Ok, but what if it doesn't?

Thanks again

Carol

Have your friend drive it to Cal and have it inspected there.  If it paasses inspection  you got a deal, if not  you don't want it anyway.

ukrv said:
Is this possible?

What does it entail?

I want to purchase an RV from a friend in Arizona, but am not sure if I will be able to register it in California, anyone know the procedure?  I have been to the DMV site........Just can't make head nor tail of the rules.
Thanks in advance

Carol

Carol, this DMV page seems pretty clear on what  you can do and how to do it. If its over 7500 miles and can pass the CA smog you should be OK. If its a diesel you don't need smog.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/nonresident.htm

Back
Top Bottom