Registering an RV as a non-resident

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no uniformity in how states charge and collect sales tax. Here in AZ, if you buy from a dealer, you pay the tax, if you buy from an individual, you don't.

In Colorado, you pay sales tax on the purchase price of vehicle purchases, new or used. And in most cities and counties, there's also additional sales tax for those entities.

[From One Auzzi to another.
Go the llc in Montana route
The insurance issue mentioned will be applied because you dont have a US licence. Unless you can find some company that will accomadate you, !!  Progressive they are not!!  Try Good Sam??
So do your research into which LLC provider suits you.
Then when you get the purchase sorted , they will post the plates etc .  Then contact an RV park in Montana , this gives you a Montana address, or use a PO box( not acceptable in some states.)  Get yourself a Montana drivers licence at the RV park address, if the insurance premiums are horrendous ( which some companies are).
We are going back to do it again but for 2 years , we have to leave each 3 months, but you can stay in Canada for 5 months, if you can judge the weather!
It does all work and you have no issues with Taxes etc from other states, as you are not a resident of any other State

Hi everyone, sorry to open up an old topic, but does anyone know of any updates on this situation please? We hope to buy an RV for touring the US (and maybe Canada) for a few months each year, for a few years, so will need to store it between times.

Aye, it's a 10-year old topic. But, reading the prior messages, I don't see anything of significance that has changed that would affect your situation. Because so many things are handled by individual states, you might get a better answer if you could tell us where you plan to purchase and register the RV. Also, do you plan to set up an LLC?

Florida gets a lot of non-resident visitors (often long term) and more than a few who buy Rvs, so the large dealers are accustomed to handling the financing, registration & title, insurance needs, etc. and can often help smooth the process. They also offer a large selection of new & used RVs.  Lazydays, Le Mesa, North Trail, and General are some of the big ones.  Florida DMV procedures are also relatively friendly to non-US residents and people who are in the state only part time.  I'm told Arizona is also a decent place for a non-resident to get a vehicle registered.

If you want to set up a Limited Liability Company (LLC) to own the RV, most people choose Montana because their laws are simple and the taxes are low. You can still buy the RV elsewhere, but you would make all your legal arrangements in Montana.

Tom and Gary,
Thank you for your help.
We're completely flexible where we buy it, but want to store it near Vegas if practicable. Answers to the how to buy, insure and register issues will be the determining factors. So far it sounds like a Montana LLC and asking Florida/Arizona dealers for advice on their current situation would seem the likely ways forward.
I asked the AAA for insurance advice and the reply asks for an address! Any thoughts on insurance would be welcome!
Murray

A major issue re the insurance will be the fact that you don't have a history of driving in the U.S. That will significantly affect premiums, and limit the number of companies who will be willing to provide insurance. Jackie Mackenzie, one of our forum staffers, lives in Scotland and spends 6 months a year travelling the U.S. Hopefully, Jackie will see this discussion and jump in with her experience getting insurance coverage here.

For clarification, an LLC is not a requirement for buying an RV here, but it could make things easier when it comes to registering and could save you money.

Hi

We only managed to get 3 companies to quote - good sam ( national general), RV America and Explorer RV and the prices were similar. We went with Good Sam.

Indoor storage is not easy to come by or cheap, we store in Boulder City. If you are happy to store outdoors it will be easier.

Don't have great Wi-Fi at the moment but can send more info after 1st October if you can wait.

We use a UPS Store p.o. box in Boulder City and opened a Bank of America account in Vegas, transferring cash with Transferwise - if interested let me know as I can send you a
Link and I think you might get a discount on first use.

Meantime read this... might need a few updates

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/25-visitors-to-the-usa/519-visiting-the-us-from-the-uk

Lou Schneider said:
I know nothing about this place, but came across their ad recently.  They say they have a new facility opening in January at the south end of Las Vegas.

http://24-7indoorstorage.com/
Not the cheapest. We pay $330 per month for both truck and trailer although there is no washing and battery charging etc but we just winterize and disconnect the battery.

If you are only going to use the RV for 2 months per year it might be cheaper to rent one and if you wanted to store your belongings get a small cheap storage place.

jackiemac said:
Hi

We only managed to get one company to quote - good sam ( national general).

Indoor storage is not easy to come by or cheap, we store in Boulder City. If you are happy to store outdoors it will be easier.

Don't have great Wi-Fi at the moment but can send more info after 1st October if you can wait.

We use a UPS Store p.o. box in Boulder City and opened a Bank of America account in Vegas, transferring cash with Transferwise - if interested let me know as I can send you a
Link and I think you might get a discount on first use.

Meantime read this... might need a few updates

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/25-visitors-to-the-usa/519-visiting-the-us-from-the-uk

Jackie, that is fantastic, thank you. Anything further would be most welcome!
One thing in particular, how does the mail forwarding work on a day to day basis? Do they automatically forward anything to Scotland, or hold it until you tell them where to send it or collect it?
Murray

We get emails about parcels only as the only mail we expect is registration and insurance, the rest will be junk. They offer different services and will throw out junk mail if you ask them to. They will forward things for a fee. The UPS parcel prices are crazy. You can ship a parcel from say Amazon to any of the UPS stores and they will charge around $5 - $10 to accept it for you so that is handy when on the move. I doubt you need to be a customer.

We don't send anything to or from UK. A friend checks our home mail.

Check their website and call for more info...  and 3 months free for a year long box..

https://www.theupsstorenow.com/arizona/lake_havasu_city/business_services/the_ups_store_mailbox_services/The_Ups_Store_--_5485/?FeedItemId=1511&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxbzdBRCoARIsACzIK2mOHOFvjA5QvANE6QsHMYvS9WufMZZftJ4chMV0Q1mk_jtmLavObicaAu0nEALw_wcB&ct=5

There are other providers who do this too and may be cheaper.

jackiemac said:
We get emails about parcels only as the only mail we expect is registration and insurance, the rest will be junk. They offer different services and will throw out junk mail if you ask them to. They will forward things for a fee. The UPS parcel prices are crazy. You can ship a parcel from say Amazon to any of the UPS stores and they will charge around $5 - $10 to accept it for you so that is handy when on the move. I doubt you need to be a customer.

We don't send anything to or from UK. A friend checks our home mail.

Check their website and call for more info...  and 3 months free for a year long box..

https://www.theupsstorenow.com/arizona/lake_havasu_city/business_services/the_ups_store_mailbox_services/The_Ups_Store_--_5485/?FeedItemId=1511&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxbzdBRCoARIsACzIK2mOHOFvjA5QvANE6QsHMYvS9WufMZZftJ4chMV0Q1mk_jtmLavObicaAu0nEALw_wcB&ct=5

There are other providers who do this too and may be cheaper.

Thanks Jackie,
Looked up UPS and had USA2me come up, states minimum service is a one off $23, nothing further unless you have stuff forwarded or stored ($1pcm!). I've asked Nevada to confirm they will take a mail forwarding service, so hopefully I have something to show the DMV person who might query it. Good Sam stated insurance for a class b of $1000-$1500 p.a., with good discount for storing for 6 months+

Murray said:
I've asked Nevada to confirm they will take a mail forwarding service, so hopefully I have something to show the DMV person who might query it. Good Sam stated insurance for a class b of $1000-$1500 p.a., with good discount for storing for 6 months+

I went through this last year when I moved from California to Nevada.

If you're getting a Nevada driver's license, you need to prove residency by showing a receipt for 30 days continuous occupancy in an RV Park, motel, house or apartment.

http://www.dmvnv.com/dlresidency.htm

To register a vehicle, you need proof of Nevada insurance prior to applying for the registration and license plates.  You'll also need a current smog certificate if it's garaged in the Washoe (Reno) or Clark (Las Vegas) Counties. The insurance must remain in force even if the vehicle is in storage, if there's a lapse of even one day without coverage the registration will be revoked and you'll have to reinstate the insurance and pay a penalty to restore the registration.  Verify with Good Sam that their policy remains valid with the state through the storage periods.

http://www.dmvnv.com/dlresidency.htm

Thanks Lou,
Won't be moving to Nevada, no licence issues, just visiting for a few months each year.
I'll check with Good Sam, but I'm sure (actually hope!) they are aware their insurance needs to remain valid for the state it's issued in? Another thing that appears obvious but needs checking! The call handler just stated they reduce the premium while the vehicle is in store, not the cover.
Planning to buy new, so certificates etc should all be OK.

Murray said:
Thanks Lou,
Won't be moving to Nevada, no licence issues, just visiting for a few months each year.
I'll check with Good Sam, but I'm sure (actually hope!) they are aware their insurance needs to remain valid for the state it's issued in? Another thing that appears obvious but needs checking! The call handler just stated they reduce the premium while the vehicle is in store, not the cover.
Planning to buy new, so certificates etc should all be OK.
We get $50 reduction for putting truck and trailer into storage, but they will reduce the cover, we got around $400 reduction last year because of this.  You don't need certain cover if you are not out on the road. 

The first question I asked was if they covered Nevada.  I have to give them the address the unit is stored in so they know it is in Nevada, I would hope it is covered but I will be double checking this year.  Thanks Lou.

We pay around $4000 per year so you have got quite a cheap quote but we have full time cover so that would make a difference.

All Nevada requires is the public liability coverage remain in force.  Good Sam probably reduces any excess coverage to this amount while the vehicle is in storage so the legal threshold is met.  Or they just reduce the premium based on the extremely low risk that the RV will jump out and cause an accident while it's parked in storage.

I pay around $400 a year for medical, property damage and liability coverage on my motorhome, about the same for the Bronco II tow car that's also my daily driver.  With a 25 year old motorhome and a 30 year old tow car it's irrational to purchase comprehensive coverage for them - within the first year the extra cost would exceed what the insurance company would pay out even if they were completely destroyed.

Diesel powered vehicles over 14,001 lbs GVWR are exempt from emission tests, as are vehicles less than three years old, otherwise it's an annual requirement in Clark and Washoe counties and must be performed within 90 days of the renewal date.  This may affect you as it won't be possible to do a timely renewal unless you're in the area or can get a waiver based apon your absence.

http://www.dmvnv.com/emission.htm

My home base is in Pahrump, in adjacent Nye county that doesn't require the annual smog tests so I'm not affected by this.

Lou,
You're a mine of information! We're buying new, so emissions not a worry for now. Will probably keep in Clark cos Vegas is easy to fly into, so will have to do emissions, but intend to use it mainly late summer, so should be there within the 90 days before period. Will put it in my diary though!
Thanks
Murray

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom