Release EQ spring bars before a sharp dip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank B

We have been boondocking in BLM lands in Southern Arizona and Southern California most of the winter. Our 30' Arctic Fox travel trailer is quite tall, as is our one-ton truck. Both have lots of clearance. There was one wash, however, that I decided to avoid. It had a very sharp angle both going in and coming out. I was concerned that the increased angle between truck and trailer might force the spring bars on our Reese 1700 lb dual cam hitch, or even bend the tongue of the trailer. Any real concern over that, or am I more likely to drag the front or rear of the trailer before it gets to that point?

grashley

I believe you have a valid concern.  The WD system is placing a force to LIFT the hitch.  The wash will try to completely undo this force, pushing the hitch down with respect to flat ground.

Rene T

Site Team
grashley said:
I believe you have a valid concern.  The WD system is placing a force to LIFT the hitch.  The wash will try to completely undo this force, pushing the hitch down with respect to flat ground.

And it will have the tendency to lift the real wheels of your tow vehicle off the ground possibly affecting traction

Gizmo100

Rene T said:
And it will have the tendency to lift the real wheels of your tow vehicle off the ground possibly affecting traction

Something I never would have thought of....I learn something when I least expect it.

Top Bottom