Remote lights for sat modem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ask Ned about the lights on the front of the IBM S/360 CPU's. The Mod 20's had a few, the 30 had more, the 40 was covered with them, the 50 had less, and the 65's had hardly any. Didn't do a thing for the user, but helpful (in some cases) for the C.E.'s.

On the DW modems, the lights give you a quick "is it working" picture, but little else. The "Advanced" pages will give you more info than you ever wanted to know ;)

Thanks Karl. There's just something about a flashing/flickering light that says "I'm doing something"  ;D

No way to set anything useful in the DW6000 or DW7000 (like the date).  You could try a reboot and see if it picks up the correct value.

Flickering lights don't mean much, as the modem is almost always doing something, even if you're not.

Ned, I've rebooted several times over the last few days. I'm told that lots of folks' modems have lost the date. I can't figure out why it wouldn't get that info from the network, just like my cell phone gets it from the nearest tower.

Hey, this is Hughes we're talking about :)? My modem shows Local Time: SUN APR 02 23:34:49 2006.  Of course, that's EDT.

Well, my HughesNet modem shows the wrong date, day & time irrespective which time zone you pick  :(

Ned said:
Hey, this is Hughes we're talking about :)? My modem shows Local Time: SUN APR 02 23:34:49 2006.? Of course, that's EDT.

Mine shows SUN APR 02 23:39:02 2006 now.  I wouldn't worry about what it shows.  Mine showed APR 2005 for quite a while don't know when it changed to 2006 other than it must have changed within the last week or two.

Tom said:
Thanks John. This is getting complexified again.

I might just take some black electrical tape and cover the lenses on the modem so I have no option but to ignore the lights.

Tom:

My 7000 modem has been in a bedroom cabinet  since installation and I am absolutely immune to its blinking. If things lock up I just reboot and it Has always fixed itself but that usually happens once a week.

As I recall, my DW6000 rarely had the correct time.  The DW7000 seems to keep better time.  Another reason to upgrade? :)

Tom,

Actually Ron's idea is pretty good  :eek:  Here's my take on it, Take some fiber optic fishing line and make a small cover to attach them to the modem,so that each strand is in front of each LED, then hang the tip of the lines out side of the cabinet door.

Thanks y'all. I'm currently avoiding contact with the lights and have only slight withdrawal symptoms.

Ned, I was looking for the upgrade screen on their new site last night but didn't find it. The increased of the 7000 is attractive.

Things are in a bit of a muddle right now with the name change.  Check with your dealer for upgrade options :)

The faster upload speeds on the DW7000 are really nice.  I'm also getting more consistent ping times now, but that may be due to the particular transponder I'm on.  Makes VOIP almost usable.

Tom the upgrade information for us  can be found at: http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/upgradesandoffers/index.html

Datastorm users usually gor through their VAR while we go directly through Direcway now Hughes.

Uploads today are running over 190 and downloads  1600 when I checked a couple hours ago.

Thanks Ron. If I read that correctly, it's $10/month extra for the DW7000 and another $10/month to upgrade to Pro  ???

As I understand it and as it was when I upgraded:

If you upgrade and stay with your current level or home account the upgrade is $99 and you remain at $59.95 per month this provides down loads up to 700KB and uploads up to 128KB.

If you upgrade and also upgrade to the professional level the upgrade cost $50 and the monthly raises $10 to $69.95.? With this option the downloads are up to 1.0MB and uploads are up to 200MB

I went tith the professional plan.

OK thanks. I see that I mis-read it. The only $10 increase is for the Pro plan.

Tom,

Here is the best way to do this.  Buy a new Signature like Dave and Al did.  In that way Monaco will build a cabinet that will hold your 7000 modem in any position you may want.

JerryF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom