Remote LP Level Sensor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbfeip

Does anyone know of an aftermarket remote LP gas level sensor that can easily be installed on travel trailers?

There are two 30 lb. tanks on my tongue affecting my taste buds.    ;D

I'd like to have the convenience of level detection by monitor panel, like I have in my Class A rig.

My neighbor had a system like this, but it was an older trailer before OPD valves were required.  The tanks had shut off valves with built-in float gauges that measured the amount of liquid propane in the tank.  I don't know if these are compatable with the Overfill Protection Device valves currently required for removable tanks.

I have a travel trailer so the tanks are mounted in plain sight on the tongue, and I just made it a habit to glance at the regulator changeover flag whenever I left the trailer.  If it's red it means it's time to remove the empty tank and get it filled.

There are several ways to do the job, some actually work well, However I don't know anyone who makes one of the systems

One I've seen involved a weight sensor in the tank mount... Literally weighed the tank, You put an empty tank on it and set ZERO

You then fill the tank and set 100% and it will be very, very accurate

Here is one sort-of gauge that signals when a  tank is empty and needs a changeover.

The basic problem is that a remote requires that there be an actual float gauge in the tank for the remote to read and DOT tanks do not have an internal gauge like ASME tanks provide.  And you can't get a reliable indication by sensing tank pressure, though there are some gauges that attach to the outlet line and attempt to do that.

The solution for trailers is to carry two tanks (nearly all trailers are equipped for that) and use an auto-changeover regulator so that you never run out (unless you forget to refill the first tank after switching to the second). That pretty much makes a gauge irrelevant. If you don't have an auto-changeover set up, you can get one here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom