Removing anti-theft TPMS sensors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SC5thWheeler

I bought this MH from a dealer and it has an Eez Tire brand TPMS. The sensors have "theft proof" caps that require a special $6 tool to remove (nowhere to be found now of course).

I've ordered the $6 tool but it might not arrive before our trip. Without removing the cap, I can't manually check the pressure or add pressure. One of the tires is 10 psi lower than what I want and that's if I trust the TPMS.

Does anyone know a hack to remove these without the special tool?

For reference, this is the tool:

1679339798189.png

Auto supply stores used to have thin "ignition wrenches", maybe a place like Harbour Freight?
Then you can get behind it to wrench it, even bend it if needed. Not difficult.

EDIT: In that image you posted, it looks like you could grasp the thin end piece, what is at the top in the pic. That does not look like it would spin.

Last edited:
When are you leaving on your trip?

I have two of them. The extra sensors for the second vehicle came with another one.

I the least expensive solution is to wait for the one that you ordered.

If you are leaving within a couple of days, I could overnight one to you.

PM me.

I just took a picture of the tool. The opening is the same as a 1/2 inch open end wrench.

Take a piece of metal and cut or grind it to match and then bend the metal 90 degrees.

You only have to hold it on the nut when you turn the sensor.

You use the tool by just fitting it around and behind the sensor and put it on the nut.

The way that it locks is that you put a regular nut on the valve stem and then screw the sensor on. Backing off the first nut will lock it so that you cannot remove it.

Attachments

• 20230320_185603.jpg
    20230320_185603.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I just took a picture of the tool. The opening is the same as a 1/2 inch open end wrench.

Take a piece of metal and cut or grind it to match and then bend the metal 90 degrees.
Hey that's a great idea. I should be able to make a crude version with what's in the garage to get by for now.

Thanks very much!

Kinda looks like a bicycle axle wrench. Bike/outdoor stores have them, maybe even wally world. Put it in a vise and bend the end to a 45 angle.

1679400894565.png

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Yup - just need a small adjustable crescent wrench or a set of small open-end crescents. Or even needle-nose pliers - just turn the hex "nut" and remove the sesnsor.

On my eezs I removed the barrel that turns (which is all the security they have) and simply turn the actual sensor/sender onto the stem without the tool. They've worked fine for five years, on-off really easy.

Take a 1/2 inch, or whatever size the lock is, open end wrench and grind it flat to fit under the cap. Cut the handle short to allow you to turn it. Or pickup crow's foot wrench and grind it to fit. The are normally pretty narrow.
1679411500149.png
You should have ordered two of the correct tools though.

I use TST TPMS on my RV and tow car.
I had the anti-theft caps and the removal tool, but, after using them for a number of years, I removed the anti-theft caps as I found that I could spin the sensor off easily by placing my index finger at the base of the cap and grabbing the sensor tightly with my hand and twisting. They come right off. Maybe I’m lucky, but no one has walked off with my sensors.

I can just twist mine off with my fingers and no wrench. My biggest problem is the front sensor falling in the hole of the wheel cover. Then I have to take the cover off to get it out. Chuck

I ended up getting the one sensor off without the tool. Took about 30 minutes of fiddling and cussing but the tire guage agreed with what the sensor read so I topped off that tire and went on the road.

Got back and the tool had arrived. I was able to then check the other 5 tires which were good.

Sensor theft isn't exactly a raging problem for RVers, but RV storage yards make a tempting target for petty theft.
We're over 4 years with our non theft sensors and have never felt particularly vulnerable. Unlike some things thieves might be tempted to grab, a sensor is just one small part of a larger system and most folks that have the monitor, have no need for an "extra" sensor.

Now tomorrow, having said this, I suppose I'll wake up in this park to discover all our sensors have been stolen. Oh well... :unsure:

We're over 4 years with our non theft sensors and have never felt particularly vulnerable. Unlike some things thieves might be tempted to grab, a sensor is just one small part of a larger system and most folks that have the monitor, have no need for an "extra" sensor.

Now tomorrow, having said this, I suppose I'll wake up in this park to discover all our sensors have been stolen. Oh well... :unsure:
I agree. Here I am with theft proof tire sensors and every bay door unlocked with free access to grills, chairs, hoses, etc.

Some external TPMS don't have replaceable batteries, so at $50 each they were a tempting target for some. Perhaps encouraged by widely published internet hand-wringing about how long they last and how easily stolen they are. Most of the TPMS makers brought out anti-theft versions simply to negate the bad publicity, even though it never developed into a common problem. I've seen a few TPMS theft reports from RVs in storage yards, but I don't think even that easy steal was ever commonplace.

I don't have the TPMS sensors, but do have the preset caps that show if the tires are low on pressure. Of course I don't knwo if they are losing pressure while driving. Mine are set at 80lbs and start to turn red when pressure drops to 75. I just look at them whenever we stop for fuel or leave in the morning. We do normally cover the tires when the trailer is stored. Not really worried at a campground, still cover the tires when stopped for more than a few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom