Removing Carpet help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bnd10706

So we just bought a new to us 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35j. It was in great condition, however after 24 hours of ownership we started to strip out the carpet so we can lay laminate.

I have had a hell of a time removing the carpet, specifically under the slide and under the master bedroom bed.

For the front side I was able to use a jack and jack up the slide an inch or so and with sheer will i was able to yank it all out.

However in the bedroom I cannot get the carpet out from under the slide, under my bunks it just wont budge.

I have gone outside and removed the weather stripping and removed all the staples from the outside without any problems. But it did not make any difference with the carpet removal.

I am looking for advice from people who have done this before and maybe some pointers...

Thank you!

I have removed carpet in 2 trailers..I just run a utility knife with a fresh blade along edge of bed and at slide holding knife at a 45degree angle inward..One trailer i replaced carpet with vinyl and other i installed wood laminate never to see carpet again.Any carpet pinched in or under these areas would act as a gasket (my thought). If carpet can be seen maybe wood molding ,1/4 round

I have gone outside and removed the weather stripping and removed all the staples from the outside without any problems. But it did not make any difference with the carpet removal.
So what was the remaining problem? Still some more staples, e.g. in the middle of the floor? Just yank harder and use a tack removal tool or screw driver to pry them up. Carpet under cabinets or even divider walls? Use a razor knife as Tuna1 described. Under slide? If there isn't some sort of removable lip, you may have to leave a narrow strip under the edge after cutting as close as you can. Hard for us to guess without seeing exactly what you are dealing with.

I used the utility knife method to remove the carpet from one of our trailers. I cut at an angle around all of the things I didn't remove. It came out in one piece as shown in the picture. It left some frayed edges and strings hanging out from under the cabinets and such. I used a heat gun and worked around the edges. The fray and strings just balled up, never to be seen again.

I then installed PERGO Max hardwood flooring which is 3/8" thick, consists of 5 plys alternating at right angles, and is 5 1/4" wide. It was glued using flooring adhesive and nailed in the T & G with 18 ga 1" brad nails. The air nailer works great to do this.

Bob

I have removed carpet in 2 trailers..I just run a utility knife with a fresh blade along edge of bed and at slide holding knife at a 45degree angle inward..One trailer i replaced carpet with vinyl and other i installed wood laminate never to see carpet again.Any carpet pinched in or under these areas would act as a gasket (my thought). If carpet can be seen maybe wood molding ,1/4 round

Attachments

• IMG_1505.JPG
    IMG_1505.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 4
So we just bought a new to us 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35j. It was in great condition, however after 24 hours of ownership we started to strip out the carpet so we can lay laminate.

I have had a hell of a time removing the carpet, specifically under the slide and under the master bedroom bed.

For the front side I was able to use a jack and jack up the slide an inch or so and with sheer will i was able to yank it all out.

However in the bedroom I cannot get the carpet out from under the slide, under my bunks it just wont budge.

I am looking for advice from people who have done this before and maybe some pointers...

Thank you!
If it’s similar to a 2007 Sightseer 30’, just did a Reno this year with vinyl plank. The slide room rides on a glide strip that load bears on the carpet portion. If replacing carpet, I would see if you can butt & glue new carpet up to edge of old where you cut it. If going with vinyl, the nylon type glide strip needs to be replaced with one covered in low pile carpet or felt so it doesn’t scratch the vinyl. I removed all the slide interior wood trip then the metal trim underneath it. Now you can run your slide (Kwikee) out beyond the stop. There are bolts and stopper pins, remove those and you can get the slide out about 4” enough to get at the glide strip from outside and under the room. With it out this far, you can tear your carpet out. I had to slide in a few pieces of sheet metal with a 1” 90degree bend, overall it was about 5”wide. The metal releives the room friction when the new felt covered glide strip rides up the wooden ramp at the outer edge of the floor which raises the room to pull the seals in tight.
Note about vinyl plank, our looks awesome, it was glued down but in cold weather it shrinks showing seam lines everywhere which go away when it warms up and expands again.

Back
Top Bottom