Removing door for wheelchair access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GreenLantern33

Hi! In order to make the bunkhouse in our Venture SportTrek ST327VIK wheelchair accessible, I need to completely remove the bunkhouse door and frame. It looks like it would be relatively simple, just a single, non load-bearing panel. Has anyone done something like this?

Attachments

• IMG_1813.jpeg
    IMG_1813.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1812.jpeg
    IMG_1812.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1810.jpeg
    IMG_1810.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1808.jpeg
    IMG_1808.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 9
Hi! In order to make the bunkhouse in our Venture SportTrek ST327VIK wheelchair accessible, I need to completely remove the bunkhouse door and frame. It looks like it would be relatively simple, just a single, non load-bearing panel. Has anyone done something like this?
To clarify, I would not just be taking the door and black trim off. I need the entire panel gone as well - the interior wall panel with the door in it, that sits on an angle between the interior wall on the left and the entertainment center wall on the right. Imagine that entire panel and door gone, making it an opening wide enough to accommodate a small wheelchair.

This is how I would go about it: Remove the door first, probably a full length piano hinge with lots of screws. Then carefully remove all the trim and start prying back the thin paneling with a large screwdriver to remove it and reveal what framing is behind it. A sawzall should make short work of the framing. Use the removed paneling and trim to finish the job neatly.

I agree with Dutch's assessment. That doesn't appear to be a load-bearing wall, so removing the entire panel shouldn't affect structural strength. If privacy is needed, a simple full-length curtain hung on a standard curtain rod should suffice.

I don't know exactly how it would be but he does sound rite. I've widened doorways and entrance ways even gate ways. After reconstruction and if your up to it, it's actually kind of fun if you make it nice and stain it well, you can reframe it and make a door. You'll want to use either a piece of plywood not to heavy and frame it up or make it fancier with using your choice of sizes as you measure 1×3 , 1x4, 1x6 and 2x2s. Choose what's best and do your framing. But let's not be cheesie, you can use the curtain idea for now. Make sure your frame still allows the chair and turning if you need, or if possible just roll up to a walker for the rest of your journey. Remember to place your walker wheels to the inside. Good luck hope it helps and use nice glue, nails and screws, pre screw your hole for screwing and nailing . Be sure of your screws and nails, even those can be fancy. Oh after it's on the way you like then take it off stain it and use some nice high gloss polly. And please if you need to paint use an oil based primer I don't know why water based was ever made, except for drywall . There ya go I think, just cause your in a chair doesn't mean you can't have the finer things. Good luck.

Hey, I was just relooking at your picture's, becareful of the wiring to your heater I'm sure your aware. Looks like you'll have to go towards the opposite way all together anyway so secure the heater side so it doesn't fall apart on ya till you widen.

The wiring for heater "should be" away from that framing, but, yeah, need to double-check that.
What is the distance from that corner by the door frame to the other corner by the TV cabinet. It looks to me like the door is about 26". If so, even cutting out that framing, that going to be a tight squeeze for a wheelchair.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nedh
Back
Top Bottom