Removing the 3-M stone shield on the front of MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webber46

As we all know the projects on MH's are endless !! I have spent a lot of time already trying to remove this stone shield and half way thru and a number of different methods have found one that really works. the right tools is the key !!! (1)Plastic Razor/Scraper Knife by FOSHIO comes with two scrapers and 100 double edged plastic blades ($10.00) on Amazon. There is one that has a longer handle that would have been handier but didn't have the extra blades. (2)Hairdryer- this works to have the heat ahead of the area you are scraping. It takes very little heat, that's where the dryer works best (3) Goo Gone, you'll need this after the shield is all removed. With the shield removed it leaves the adhesive behind. This is where the Goo Gone comes in. I sprayed the surface and let it set for an hour and started removing the glue with the razor knife. no heat for this step. It left a lot of spots with a slight film of glue that has to be buffed out That's is where I'm at now. Again only the top half has been done and I've been at it for over a week and a half. I got the right tools and process and it changed everything. I think this process could be completed in two days now. Hope this helps others that need this type of repair, sure makes my MH look GREAT !!!
Thanks for being here when I needed help. Will post pics, all after the fact, Sorry!!

Yeah, removing the 3M film is a pain.  Mine was old with lots of mold, took ages to remove.  I used your same system... mild heat with plastic razor/scraper.

For removing the adhesive, try using "Jack Mfg Paint & Graffiti Wipes" (Amazon, Wallmart, TruValue etc.)  I used them to remove mine, worked like a charm with no residue left behind. 

Thanks Ed, will try that stuff this afternoon, if I can find it. Seams that's always the problem when trying to find stuff, for me anyway!!!

Here's a before and after on mine using the wipes after the plastic razor treatment...

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Done.jpg
    Done.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 49
What worked for me was a Wagner heat gun, plastic "razor" scraper and ultimately gasoline to remove the adhesive. Gasoline was my very last resort after trying acetone, mineral spirits, MEK, lacquer thinner, naphtha and 3M adhesive remover. What a huge PITA.

Your right John, there hasn't been to many things I haven't tried. Am waiting for the wipes Ed mentioned above. All good things take time !!! Thanks again for the advice from all and will hopefully put an end to this for me anyway.

Mineral spirits will eventually soften the adhesive but gasoline will act almost immediately and the adhesive can be easily scraped/wiped off. It had no effect on the clear coat by the way.

I paid ($800) to have the film removed. They used a heat gun and scrapers as described, but I suspect at higher temperature. Two people completed in a day and did a beautiful job.

Ernie

That's a price I wouldn't have wanted to pay !!!! I've got the time and now I have the knowledge. Am hoping this post will help others avoid that expense. 

Ernie n Tara said:
I paid ($800) to have the film removed. They used a heat gun and scrapers as described, but I suspect at higher temperature. Two people completed in a day and did a beautiful job.

Ernie

$800 is the cheapest I've heard. Where is that place?

Ernie n Tara said:
I don't remember the name but they are a mobile operation in SW Florida (Ft Myers).

Ernie
A friend of mine had it done in Central Fl last year and he was also charged 800.00. Could be the same outfit. I?ll ask him next time I see him.

So, is this 3M shield/guard something you are replacing, or just removing feeling it's not worth the protection it provides?

Can't speak for the OP, but in my case it was removed due to mildew getting under the coating.  See my pics in post #4.  Seems to happen to a lot of these over time.

I just removed this crap from the front nose of my 2017 Class A.  Had been on there since new.  Had mold spots and Yellowing.  I watched every Utube video I could find.  Started with the hair dryer method with little luck.  Was able to peal back most of it by hand and then tried Goo Gone and a plastic razor to scrape off the residue.  Had little luck with Goo Gone and was getting frustrated!  Then I found a product called ?Rapid Remover? which I found on Amazon, see Link below.  I was amazed at how well and easy it was. leave on for about 30 seconds then used plastic razor blade to scrape off, reside came off like butter.  Then followed up by spraying some on a clean rag and wiping off the rest.  Finally washed with soap and water to get the oily stuff off, When dry you can see any left and just use scrapper to remove.  Finished with a good buffer applied coat of wax.  Front looks like new.  Hope this helps.  ??

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSFD50H/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_7482Fb1VBJ39F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The coating seems to last about seven or eight years at best and then fails. In my case it was embedded bugs that I didn't remove fast enough.

I can't imagine replacing the damn stuff.

Ernie

On The Go said:
Then I found a product called ?Rapid Remover? which I found on Amazon, see Link below.  I was amazed at how well and easy it was. leave on for about 30 seconds then used plastic razor blade to scrape off, reside came off like butter.  Then followed up by spraying some on a clean rag and wiping off the rest.  Finally washed with soap and water to get the oily stuff off, When dry you can see any left and just use scrapper to remove.  Finished with a good buffer applied coat of wax.  Front looks like new.  Hope this helps.  ??

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSFD50H/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_7482Fb1VBJ39F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I've used it and agree it is quite effective.  But make sure you are in an area with a lot of air movement.  IIRC, it's not something you want to be breathing. 

The company in Ft Meyers, FL, is called Ugly Shield Removal https://uglyshieldremoval.com/ they have a business location where the work can be done, or they do mobile work also. They also do roof replacement and RV detailing.

In addition they have self help how to videos and a product they sell is called Ugly Juice and it is an adhesive remover.

Charles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom