renew "dish" RV waiver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerryarlyne

Hi all,
I just got an email from Dish Network stating I had 5 working days to "renew" my RV waiver or I would lose my east & west coast feeds due to a new ruling. I called them and was told to print out the RV Declaration from their web site and fill it out and send it in with a copy of my current RV Registration. I did that by fax tonight so hopefully that should take care of it. My understanding is it only effects Dish Network not Direct TV due to some kind of a law suit against Dish.

Check the URL in the email carefully, I have seen a message on Datastormusers that it resolves to a non-Dish web site.  There is some suspicion that this is a phishing scam.  I would recommend you forward the email to Dish Network and ask if it's legitimate.

Hi Ned,
You are right but I did call Dish and they said yes, I needed to renew the declaration page so I went to their site and downloaded the page, filled it out and faxed it to dish networks fax #. I didn't send the email to them but I will do that now just to be safe.
Thanks for the heads up & say hi to Lorna,
Jerry

Ned said:
Check the URL in the email carefully, I have seen a message on Datastormusers that it resolves to a non-Dish web site.  There is some suspicion that this is a phishing scam.  I would recommend you forward the email to Dish Network and ask if it's legitimate.

Better safe than sorry, and it's good you called Dish first to verify the request. 

See you in November.

We just got Direct TV and we had to fill out a waiver with all the same info you said for all the same reasons.

Colleen

Can someone please explain the DISH waiver to me? We are getting our first RV in a few weeks so I called DISH to inquire and they told me I would have to set up a completely new account with new receiver and all for the RV. I don't mind paying 5 bucks for an extra receiver but that's about as far as I will go. It appears that I can by a dish myself and take my home receiver with me. Why would I need to sign, do or say anything? I am not paying 30 plus dollars a month to watch TV 20-30 times per year.

pamwinn said:
Can someone please explain the DISH waiver to me? We are getting our first RV in a few weeks so I called DISH to inquire and they told me I would have to set up a completely new account with new receiver and all for the RV. I don't mind paying 5 bucks for an extra receiver but that's about as far as I will go. It appears that I can by a dish myself and take my home receiver with me. Why would I need to sign, do or say anything? I am not paying 30 plus dollars a month to watch TV 20-30 times per year.
There's nothing to stop you from taking your home receiver with you on a separate dish.  I understand that if you get too far away from home, though, you will lose your local channels since they are transmitted via a spot-beam antenna only to the general area where those stations serve.

If you certify that your receiver is permanently mounted in a mobile RV, then instead of receiving local channels, they authorize you to receive the main network feeds from the east/west coasts.

I'm not clear myself whether an official RV-designated receiver has to be a primary receiver ($30+ per month) or if it can be a second receiver on the home account ($5 per month.)  Perhaps someone else can answer that...

Pamwinn,

Very shortly, the Dish waiver for East/West network feeds will become a moot point. Dish didn't play by the rules, so they will no longer be allowed to provide remote network feeds. As for having to set up a new account, that's just not right. Get a second receiver for your house, use it in your rv, pay the $5/month and be done with it. You don't have to designate ANY receiver as being for rv use regardless if you use it in an rv; you just won't get local network channels while traveling. Better still, switch to DirecTv and you'll be able to get the network feeds once you've supplied them with a waiver. The waiver simple states that you are using a receiver in an rv, can't get local channels therefore you can't receive network affiliate stations. You do pay extra for them, but not much ($5/mo., I think), but you still don't have to have a separate account.

There is a problem with switching to Direc, and that problem is if you only want basic TV on the road, Networks and such, then DISH has the Family plan, no "Adult" channels, and the standard colleciton of pay per view you need to lock out but it's networks, Hallmark, Biography, Science and a few others and KIDS channels (IE DTV)  Nothing "Sexy"

It's 20/month (19.95)

Direc is 40/month minimum price

All prices are plus tax, DNS fee and the like

Distant Network Stations from DirecTV are $2.25/network, or $9.00/month for ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox from both east and west coasts.  For an additional $1.50/month you can also get PBS.  The minimum programming package from DirecTV is the Family Choice for $29.99 per month that has 40 channels and parental controls.

Please research the facts before posting misleading information.

John In Detroit said:
There is a problem with switching to Direc, and that problem is if you only want basic TV on the road, Networks and such, then DISH has the Family plan, no "Adult" channels, and the standard colleciton of pay per view you need to lock out but it's networks, Hallmark, Biography, Science and a few others and KIDS channels (IE DTV)  Nothing "Sexy"

It's 20/month (19.95)

Direc is 40/month minimum price

All prices are plus tax, DNS fee and the like

In addition to Ned's comments, you will no longer be able to receive Networks on Dish while traveling.

I understand this Berine and am hoping for a last minute reprieve  But I'm afraid it won't happen.  There is a lot more to this issue than just the price difference as well.. Though I am upset enough about the price and the fact that the one network which did NOT negotiate in good faith with Dish and thus did not reach settlement, it appears, owns the "High priced spread" (Direc) HAd Hughes not sold Direc to Fox it is my belief that we would not be having this discussion.

If the "Satellite consumer protection act"  passes, this discussion may suddenly end

But till then, I'm well... A bit like two pieces of wood connected together by a tapered threaded rod... SCREWED

BernieD said:
In addition to Ned's comments, you will no longer be able to receive Networks on Dish while traveling.

Not always true Bernie.  I have dish and my local networks are the LA stations. So I will still get networks when traveling. You are correct in that I will no longer get my DNS from New York. 

Jerry

Sigh, this is getting old.  The Fox vs. Echostar situation has NOTHING to do with the court order for Echostar to discontinue the DNS service.  This has been hashed over and over in numerous venues and the facts are clear, Echostar broke the law and they are being punished for it.  The fact they didn't have an agreement with Fox network is IRRELEVANT.

Jerry, you are getting local networks, and the court order is for the Distant Network Stations.  If you moved a bit farther east you wouldn't get your LA networks either.

Ned it has everything to do with it, the suit is a civil case, Had Echostar reached agreement with EVERYONE, which of course INCLUDES FOX, the case would have been "Settled out of court" and the injunction would never have been issued.

However that did not happen, I believe it did not happen because FOX wants to see it's competition fail

So it has EVERYTHING to do with it, it is the reason the injunction was pressed forward.

Given that FOX and Echostar did not reach agreement the judge had no choice, This I understand.

But agreement was reached with everyone else and had Fox joined the chorus instead of being the lone hold out, there would not be an injunction.

I agree with you folks, Wishing won't make it so and Dish should pay the price

I'm not sure DEATH is the proper price though

As I have said before, Part of the problem is that when congress wrote the rules, they did not consider anyone would violate them thus they failed to write in a proper punishment for doing so.  Where as I am not sure that the Satellite users protection act is the proper punishment it is an attempt to correct that oversite.

Another thing I do not have access to is the agreements between all but Fox and Echostar, I'm willing to bet they provide some serious consessions on Echostar's part and a serious comittment to no longer violate the rules, In short, the proper punishment.

The problem is that FOX wants Echostar dead so they have a monolopy on sat service.  This is simply wrong.  Fox is using the court to attain this end.  And even the court feels this is wrong, however the court would like an option, The court expressed this desire by saying it had no choice.

And I also agree with the court.  The court had not choice under the law as written.

Yet another case of a good law, but they forgot something.. The punishment section

Ron said:
Sorry but Dish violated the law and as far as I am concerned they should not be given a free pass.?
I've read the whole thread twice and am still not sure what is going on in the background.  Could one of you provide a link to something that summarizes this?

From what I'm reading here, it sounds like Dish will no longer be able to provide network feeds to mobile receivers that are outside their local channel area.  That doesn't sound like a death knell to me...

mfa, Echostar (Dish Network) was found to be offering the distant network stations to households that were not entitled to receive them.  The court found that the violation of law was so wide spread and flagrant that the only recourse was to order them to discontinue all distant network stations to any subscribers that had been receiving them, whether they were entitled to them or not.  This takes effect on Dec. 1, 2006.

Unfortunately, some misguided congressmen have seen fit to attempt to intervene with legislation to contravene the court decision, but that won't happen any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom