Renogy 100W and shore power charger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zaggie

This is my first post and I felt like I've read everything I can to find this answer, so if I missed it, I apologize.  My electrical needs are minimal. No TV, LED lights (usually one or two at a time), etc. It's a 1993 Fleetwood jamboree with the original charger/inverter. I bought and have used the solar charger when camping and haven't permanently installed it yet. My concern is if I install the solar system and leave it connected, will it "fight" with my shore charging system that I usually have plugged into my 110v outlet on my house?

Welcome to The RV Forum!

It's OK to connect multiple DC charging sources, they won't "fight" one another.  What will happen is one may reduce it's charging current if the battery voltage is raised by the other but this isn't cause for concern.  The converter and solar system will play nicely together.

Technically the answer is Yes, but not in any significant way you need to worry about.  At any given point in time one or the other is supplying the higher voltage and that dominates - at that moment.  For example, the solar charging may dominate when the sun is bright, but the converter/charger begins to dominate as the sun goes down or on a cloudy day.

If the Jamboree still has the original charger, it's nowhere near as smart as the Renology and may try to overcharge the battery(s), but no different than it has been doing in the past.  I would seriously consider upgrading it- your batteries will thank you.

Back
Top Bottom