Renovate or Sell 1975 Argosy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewEnglandF150

Hi Everyone,
My family has a 1975 24? White Argosy camper that has been sitting dormant for decades and I was thinking of having it completely remodeled.  I plan on using it with the family but am wondering if I?m better off just selling it to someone else and buying something new?  There is some sentimental value in renovating the old family camper although I?m not so sentimental if it is just throwing money down a money pit.  Would love to hear from some of you that have had to make this decision and how it worked out?  Thanks!
Matt

This really depends on your skill set, vintage campers are popular right now with the glamping crowd, etc.  this does not mean there is any money in fixing them up though.

There is a vintage RV place in Bend,OR that does some really fantastic work.  But to have someone do it wont be cheap.  If your handy it could be a great project, but dont expect to make money on it.

If you can do much of the work yourself, it is a fun project and builds value.  If you hire somebody to do it for you, it's a labor of love and a money pit.

NewEnglandF150 said:
Hi Everyone,
My family has a 1975 24? White Argosy camper that has been sitting dormant for decades and I was thinking of having it completely remodeled.  I plan on using it with the family but am wondering if I?m better off just selling it to someone else and buying something new?  There is some sentimental value in renovating the old family camper although I?m not so sentimental if it is just throwing money down a money pit.  Would love to hear from some of you that have had to make this decision and how it worked out?  Thanks!
Matt

Matt, welcome to the forum. Having been down that road myself I am going to recommend you sell it and upgrade to something (not necessarily new) but that you don't have to do a bunch of work on to use. You will always have projects to keep you busey. Get something you can use now not someday.
Bill

We all will love to participate and help you spend your money, as wisely as possible.  I guess it starts with the condition of the Argosy and your skill level of DIY.  That said, should you decide to sell it, please reach out to me, I have a close friend looking for an Argosy rehab project  :))

As SpencerPJ said, a lot depends on the current condition, and your level of skill, and/or the depth of your wallet if you lack the skill necessary for the project.  Post up some more information on the shape of it, and your skill level, and we can probably give you a better feel for whether or not you should fix or sell.

I was a boater and a car restorer (still am)

The question is, "Do you want to go RV-ing or do you want to restore RVs."

Guys who restore an MGB themselves get a basket case, spend 2 years and $10,000 to end up with a car worth $6-$8k...

Some guys buy a $6,000 MGB and spend their summers driving them...

Same with boats and I presume with RVs.

Some MGB guys (who know what they are doing) spend $10,000 and 3 years then sell their restoration for $15,000 - then they buy another project.

There is a difference in a "restoration" and a "rejuvenation"

You will get plenty of comments on here, you have to make up your mind. I bought a basket case motorhome 6 years ago for 3850$ and still am making it the way I want it. It is road worthy and we have made trips to Pa, Alabama from Illinois and many short trips. If one was really concerned about an investment or a return of your money on a camper of any sort, you shouldn't buy one. These are for enjoyment or pleasure, either you spend money fixing it up to your standards or you make payments or take a good chunk of your savings and buy it outright. I'm the kind of person that will fix or build anything that I'm able rather than paying someone else except electrical. You have to make the choice yourself, if you can make it yours in a year and your family will wait then go for it, if you don't have a year to wait then you have to make a different choice

Back
Top Bottom