renting RV and Travel Trailers Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adt

I am renting an RV and I am frustrated with how the major websites to post an RV for rent handles disputes with customers. I have had only a very small number of bad renters and I would think that as an owner with an outstanding reputation would be taken more seriously when a major issue arises with a renter especially the ones who you reimburseas a courtesy and as part of the reimbursement they should not be allowed to post a negative review. I had this happen just 3 times and these renters post a huge negative review on top of getting monies from me they are not entitled to in the first place and then get slammed with a negative review packed with lies because renter is just that kind of person.

Good news is I am learning the M/O of these people and I am going to shut down the rental right then and there when I smell another rat. :mad:

The whole problem with the Internet is everyone is a publisher and everyone is an expert and many are just plain negative people. If your business model is good then you don't have to worry, negative feedback won't hurt you if there is enough positive feedback to counter balance it. People generally don't make up their mind just reading one review.

Hah! Just one of many common issues when dealing with the general public. Especially via the internet (See Seilerbird's remarks). Renting a complex and expensive item like an RV is fraught with potential issues, for both the owner and the renter.

Your best protection is the one you cited... "when I smell another rat".

No offense intended but I think you're playing with fire renting your rv. People that rent have no attachment to rented equipment and thus will never fully care about it as much as an owner would. Couple that with today's generation of entitled "gimmie gimmies" and it's the perfect storm of potential damage and legal repercussions, no matter what contract is involved.

It's not a generational thing, folks of all ages can ruin a rental.

kdbgoat said:
It's not a generational thing, folks of all ages can ruin a rental.
In my early 60s now, and I know the rental cars I occassionally drive sure don?t get the same care as my own LOL!

I just keep thinking of how complex RV systems are to someone who has always lived with indoor plumbing, unlimited water and electricity, and a dishwasher. Let alone driving something the size of a school bus when their previous ?big vehicle? was a SUV. Definitely prone to problems, many of them not deliberate but serious non the less. Good luck to the OP.

We decided to try renting out our RV this year.  It's an experiment, we weren't sure how it would work out or how long we'd do it.  I think we've had 10 rentals so far and 9 of them were great.  Two even fixed small things and returned the trailer better than they got it!  We've met some nice people who have common interests with us.  It's been some hassle but the money more than covers the payments on the rig, so that's nice. 

The one time we had a renter do some damage on the interior, Outdoorsy worked with us and we collected for the repairs from the security deposit.  It was annoying but in the end it worked out OK.

One important thing is that services like Outdoorsy and RVShare have insurance that the renter is required to pay for, and they collect a security deposit.  So if anything small or large is damaged, we're not out of pocket.  I would not rent without this!

Another thing is that it might be different depending on what kind of RV you have and what customers you attract.  We have a toyhauler trailer, and we did not price it cheap, so we get people who need it and appreciate it.  Usually they are taking their motorcycles to rallies or events or remote places, same as we do.  So we understand each other.  And these people have trucks that can tow 7000 lbs, so mostly they have towed things before and they have a clue.

Maybe if you price your RV cheap you'd get folks who just want to party in it.  And maybe if you have a Class C you'd get more newbies who don't own a tow vehicle and have never driven a big rig.  And maybe we'll get a bad one some day.  But so far I'd say the experience has been positive.

I appreciate these renter experiences being shared. Although many of us have said (and maybe always will say) "No way we'd ever!" to renting out our RV's, it makes sense in many ways and is in line with new trends of short-term users and part-time providers... all available instantly from a smartphone app. We see the same thing with Uber/Lyft for rides and other deliveries, VRBO/AirBNB for home rentals, and several other similar emerging services.

I'll admit I have considered looking into offering our trailer for rent. However, it is NOT a size that could be safely towed by inexperienced 1/2 ton pickup owners, so my potential clientele is limited from the start. I could (and would likely) rent on the condition that I deliver/setup/remove the rig for each rental, but then I'm taking on a lot of extra time & expense... not sure yet if that would be worthwhile just to make a few bucks. I bought my trailer in cash and have owned outright since Day 1, so it doesn't really cost me any money sitting in the driveway either.

Coming from a person living in Guernsey Channel islands we will be renting again next year to go touring.

I was amazed the last time we rented from a big rental dealer (not someone renting their own RV) and the RV was just over a year old and it was a bit worse for wear in places, the steering pulled to the left, rip in the seat where the slide out had caught it trims hanging off or missing etc etc.

The rental company did not seem bothered we pointed all these things out as while we waited for the next bus to take us to the airport a group came in and took it back out straight away, they never even cleaned it (not that it needed cleaning the wife did that before we took it back).

I guess what i am trying to say is if I lived in US (Dream one day)and was fortunate enough to own an RV there is no way in hell I would rent it out, not everyone is like me and the wife and respect other people property.

When I was in California I'd see lots of RVs on Craigslist for rent at outrageously high prices just before Burning Man.  Then afterwards they'd be offered for sale at really low prices.  Coincidence?  ;)

Yeah, Burning Man is a special case.  Our most recent rental was to a couple of Harley riders, they were going to some kind of biker music event at Loretta Lynn's ranch 400 miles from here.  Bikers and country music and beer and our trailer... what could go wrong?  The imagination runs wild.

But in fact they turned out to be really nice people, they loved the trip and the trailer, and they returned it cleaner and in better repair than it left.  No problems at all.  They loved it so much they're probably going to buy a toyhauler of their own, so the only downside is that they probably won't be repeat customers.

Does the site allow you to reply to the reviews? I own a small service business and do about 800 jobs a year. I will always take a few days for a very deeep breath before posting an owner reply to a negative review.

Always remain positive, and try to make the negative reviewer look like an a** without calling them an a**.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom