Repairs at factory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob&Deryl

I have a problem ( not urgent ) that I think would be best resolved at the factory.

What experience have all y’all had with this?

I was thinking that on my way east next spring I could plan a stop at the factory (with an advanced reservation) to get the issue fixed.

thanks for your insight

I have a problem ( not urgent ) that I think would be best resolved at the factory.

I was thinking that on my way east next spring I could plan a stop at the factory (with an advanced reservation) to get the issue fixed.

thanks for your insight
If the factory offers service/repair facilities, go for it. We've stopped at several Monaco service centers over the years. They offered a campground to stay as long as the repairs needed. I have no experience with Monaco's current owners.

Call them up, explain the problem amd make an appointment.

About seven years ago when I had a Columbus FW, I took it to Middlebury for some warranty work. They did a very good job at the factory. They were one day late, but otherwise it was a good experience.

I have had very good experiences at the REV factory customer service facilities in both Decatur, IN, and in Coburg, OR. At least in Decatur, I was told that most of the service people started out working in the nearby factory, so they know how the things are put together. The Decatur facility has a paved parking lot with electrical hookups and a nearby water fill and dump station. (Those last two could be improved.) They also have a new waiting facility that includes access to a very nice laundry facility after hours. Pets allowed on first floor, but no pets on second floor.

Except for my last trip, they have always fixed things right the first time. I recently had a problems with tail lights not working. This had been checked and "fixed" by a truck repair place, an RV dealer, and an electrical auto person, but would not stay fixed for more than an hour. Factory repair found crimped wire, and it is now really fixed. Also my Class C cab was coming detached from motorhome bunk area, so they put in new screws, etc. No more squeaking or leaking. Had broken slide roller and loose kitchen upper cabinets fixed in Coburg in 2019.

My problem with the last repair was that when they installed one of my new slide toppers, the new bracket stuck out too much, making my slide jump and make a horrible noise. Problem occurred because they did not test it when finished, and I left also without testing it.

Last edited:
I have had two experiences with factory service centers. One at HWH in Moscow, Iowa when I had a hydraulic problem, and the other at Thor factory service in Elkhart, Indiana when I had a floor beam issue in the house. Both experiences were very good.

I also go to the Freightliner Factory Service Center in Gaffney, SC every year for the annual chassis inspection and maintenance. That has also been a very good experience.

If your rig’s factory does warranty service (not all do), check out reviews from folks who have used it. The service center for Tiffin Class As in Red Bay, AL gets outstanding marks, but they don’t do appointments - first come/first served. Since the wait times can run into weeks during snowbird migrations, we just use the outside vendors nearby. Many of them moonlight after factory hours, and many have left the factory and service center to strike out on their own. We have gotten service just as good as the SC at a much more reasonable schedule. See if the same situation exists near your production facility.

Way back in 1999 we some problems with our Thor Signature 5th wheel. I made an appointment with the factory in Indiana. before we got there two additional problems manifested; a bent axle and an electrical problem. They said the axle was my fault. It was the middle axle so they quickly realized their error and agreed to replace it. The electrical problem ended up being a fried wiring harness which they replaced. I also convinced them we needed hotel accommodations for the duration of our visit and they reluctantly agreed to pay for that.
We also had to take our little Winnebago TT the factory a couple years ago. They replaced a window w/o hassle.

I have had very good experiences at the REV factory customer service facilities in both Decatur, IN, and in Coburg, OR. At least in Decatur, I was told that most of the service people started out working in the nearby factory, so they know how the things are put together. The Decatur facility has a paved parking lot with electrical hookups and a nearby water fill and dump station. (Those last two could be improved.) They also have a new waiting facility that includes access to a very nice laundry facility after hours. Pets allowed on first floor, but no pets on second floor.

Except for my last trip, they have always fixed things right the first time. I recently had a problems with tail lights not working. This had been checked and "fixed" by a truck repair place, an RV dealer, and an electrical auto person, but would not stay fixed for more than an hour. Factory repair found crimped wire, and it is now really fixed. Also my Class C cab was coming detached from motorhome bunk area, so they put in new screws, etc. No more squeaking or leaking. Had broken slide roller and loose kitchen upper cabinets fixed in Coburg in 2019.

My problem with the last repair was that when they installed one of my new slide toppers, the new bracket stuck out too much, making my slide jump and make a horrible noise. Problem occurred because they did not test it when finished, and I left also without testing it.
My experience with Coburg was less than good. Three of the five of their "repairs" were botched, and I have doubts of one of the others. 100% of the three phone calls to the service "advisor" un-returned, even though he told me he always returned calls.

Might as well have had my dealer do the repairs at least they would have saved the gas money.

You can only call and ask. In my situation, the plant doesn't do warranty, and, frankly, I would not want them attempting to fix a problem they may have built in with their quick construction technique on the assy line.

In my case, I need the whole door assembly replaced. The hinge broke on the screen door and it is intregal to the door. I don’t see how to replace it. Can’t find the way to replace.

Newmar does excellent repair work. Like suggested above call the company and tell them of your issues.

I took my Winnie to the Winnie factory service center in Iowa this past summer. They're booked out months in advance but you can kinda sneak into their queue by calling a couple of times a week to check for an opening. This approach worked for me but the facility is only 3 hours away for me so easier to respond to a short notice opening. I was mostly satisfied with the work they did.

I had a positive experience at the Dutchmen factory service center. Approx. 6 mos. after purchase one slide mechanism began shearing pins.
The end result was, the Dutchmen factory service center installed an entire new movement mechanism under that slide-room, the original was bent.
We arrived the evening prior, stayed the night in their parking lot (with E). Next day all repairs were completed under warranty.

thanks for your insight
typical 2-4 months wait time after you drop your rig off

I did two factory visits with my Damon.. Both went well
One was scheduled and the other was drop in
But the drop in all I really wanted was the part.. (Gas Cap surround) they went ahead and replaced it for me.... I did not even ask 'em to do that.

Of course that was BEFORE THOR bought 'em.

Let them know what the problem is so they will have parts available, but if you have an appointment, you should be able to have it at least evaluated immediately. Most factory customer service centers have parking lots with at least electrical hookups so you can arrive the night before and have your rig started the next morning. They probably also will have water fills and dump stations available for customers. No need to leave it for months like dealers want you to do, although some people do drop off rigs and then go off in their car someplace instead of hanging around.

REV has a huge two-story customer lounge and a free laundry for waiting customers. Only problem is their work day starts at 6:00 am, which is why almost everyone arrives the night before!!

Also, they schedule most work to start on Monday, so it is easier to drop in later in the week.

Back
Top Bottom