Replace batteries - Hallmark Guanella

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnsloth

We have a 2016 Hallmark Guanella camper.  We live in an area where it is necessary to remove the camper's batteries in the winter to prevent them from freezing.  The camper needs to lifted off the pickup (Tundra) to remove the batteries which are located in a very tight space at the bottom front of the camper.  As I get older I find that removing and replacing the very heavy batteries is becoming increasingly difficult.  In fact, I no longer have the strength to lift and put them in place w/o assistance. 

Someone told me I should convert to lithium batteries.  Does anyone know whether this can be done and, if so, does it solve the problem of having to remove the batteries each winter and put them back in the spring?  Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks.

Jim in Bend, Oregon

Jim, welcome to the RV Forum.
How cold does it get in Bend? A fully charged won't freeze until about -40? Fahrenheit. If you can keep a charger hooked up, I think you could get away without removing your batteries.

jnsloth said:
Someone told me I should convert to lithium batteries.  Does anyone know whether this can be done and, if so, does it solve the problem of having to remove the batteries each winter and put them back in the spring?  Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks.

Lithium batteries can be quite expensive, and are temperature sensitive as to when the can be charged. In some cases you need to warm the batteries, so it doesn't sound like a good fit for your situation. Further, you'd need to check to see if your charger was compatible with lithium batteries.

ChasA said:
fully charged won't freeze until about -40? Fahrenheit. If you can keep a charger hooked up, I think you could get away without removing your batteries.

Agree. Starting with fully charged batteries putting a 1-2 amp trickle charger or battery maintainer should do the trick.

I assume you are making sure the batteries have the proper amount of water in them at all times.

How do you check the water levels in the battery cells? When they. Are so hard to get at?

The better option, I would think, is the AGM batteries and a compatible trickle maintainer that is wired into them full time. 

That way you could put the trickle maintainer on a timer so that it charges periodically or just remember to plug it in every few weeks. 

Not all that thrilled with AGM.. but will second a battery maintainer (not a trickle charger)

What is the difference:
Trickle chargers keep on charging ....forever

Battery maintainers top off the battery then change to "Float" or if you like KEEP FULL. some of them go to a "Desulfate" mode as well which can improve battery life.  But I've had batteries survive -40 with a a good charge.. What's more I've had 'em survive when the transistors in the Electronic ignition were so cold they would not transist any more (The puppy did not start) Next AM sun up (This was like 1am it would not start) Varoom and off we went.. Merry Christmas (it was indeed 12/25)

Gene50 said:
How do you check the water levels in the battery cells? When they. Are so hard to get at?

The better option, I would think, is the AGM batteries and a compatible trickle maintainer that is wired into them full time. 

That way you could put the trickle maintainer on a timer so that it charges periodically or just remember to plug it in every few weeks.

JN,

I am in the over 50 Club, so I feel your pain Brother. 

Wrestle Mania with Batteries is very Low on the ?I can?t wait to do? list of DIY fantasy tasks for sure.

Oregon, nice! I would probably never leave the State, if I lived in that Beautiful Area.  The Lush Green of the landscape looks so appealing.

Let me apologize in advance for my Anti- Cliff Note Style reply.  You just may want to glace to the next one. 

I do tend to ramble a bit.

By the sound of your Old School (Wet Celled) Battery location, ?No Joy in Mudville? for sure, metaphorically speaking for Maintenance or the dreaded removal of a dead battery carcass. 

// Old School Wet Celled Batts require our love and attention so they can perform at their best. 

Your current Set of X # number old school batts you have Do Require Maintenance.  At least periodic Unscrew the lid and look to ensure Proper Battery Fluid Level in your 12Volt battery (s), (6 Ea, 2V cells, Per). 

Think of the 2 volt cells as your Sextuplets.  They are your Kids. 

Lots of Joy when they are working properly, wink.

Have to Fill ?Em Up with Distilled H20, till you see the cat eye bubble as required. 

Be Careful when Dealing with Batts, Don?t get any battery Juice on ya.  Juice/Acid, that Burns holes in your clothes and real memories in your mind.  You will also find that needs to be washed off rather quickly once you get Splashed on.

//(AGM) Swapping out to AGM would be a no brainer for me if I was in standing there with a -40F in your shoes and the wind in my face, real fast, once the current set goes bad.  I would go for the trickle charger too unless you got a Solar Panel in Play on your rig.

I would not remove them due to weight and try to insulate with foam and keep from the cold if possible.

AGM apparently are Sealed Tight and have a Gel type inside holding the juice to keep the battery plates happy and recharging.  Removes all the joys of cell FLUID Maintenance.  The AGM bring slightly less efficiency when supplying juice to fire your appliances.

The beauty OF AGM is you do not have to check and add distilled H20 as they are sealed.

//(Lithium Ion) (LI) The Battle Born types and all those LI/ sealed are great Batts and are $$uper Expensive, light weight, and can be depleted a lot to almost to Nothing 0% which gives you much more available harnessed power to draw on when out there in the woods doing your thing. 

My Gen Set 4K Onan/ Knock Wood and Hope it starts, House Batts share duty to Crank the Gen Set.  (2 house batts in My Case). 

//The BB flavor of LI, have No Cold Cranking Amps? so food for thought.

I have watched the You Tubers that insulate the LI battery with a padding to combat the cold climates for the LI paired up. There are F degree levels where the LI will not charge so it won?t perform if too Low ?F .  Lots of discussion about that on the internet and YT.  Google says,.. When it comes to recharging lithium-ion batteries, however, there's one hard and fast rule: to prevent irreversible damage to the battery, don't charge them when the temperature falls below freezing (0?C or 32?F) without reducing the charge current.

// Terminals/ Cables: Oh Yea, Don?t forget to shine your terminals.  Corroded Terminals have spoiled a lot of fun too over the years 4 sure, so that is just another bonus awaiting for Maint Fun.

This is Sunday so a Reminder, Never, Never do Battery Maintenance in your Sunday Best. 

Make sure you keep you Terminals shiny as your best Sunday Shoes. 

BTW, I found some good battery terminal sprays at the Auto Parts store.

Keep that Top Side Wiped down and clean.

Checking your Batts are just one of the hazards of being a Good Operator, doing your due diligence, before you Roll your temp house on a wing and an Prayer, Flying Down the Highway. 

?Cliff Note Reply? What is That?  will be the SUBJECT of my next new thread I post in the Shade Tree Section of the Forum.

Have Fun Ya?LL

JD

After 5 months of running LiFePO4  quite impressive how powerful these batteries are. I have 6 batteries on a 24 volt system & runs on average 600 watts per hour at night and I still have a voltage of 25.8 volts in the morning. Batteries also charge so much faster the lead acid I replaced?not to mention being maintenance free. Hmm, I found it here:
https://cleanenergysummit.org/best-solar-batteries/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom