replace blackwater tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

delavan

Hi,

I did read a few very interesting and informative posts about black water tank repairs. In a nutshell, repairs most likely won't last long and leaks will develop again.
Also, getting a tank replaced is fairly expensive.

But how expensive? My old 1978 21ft trailer is obviously not the be all/end all and replacing the tank on it might not be worth it at all. But I believe the trailer holds a sentimental value for the wife. And basically good memories already, even if we just got it a few months ago.

I used some spray-based STOP LEAK stuff...didnt quite work. I "greased" the leaky area with JB Weld compound (2 tubes)...its just a dribble. We don't fill the tank, only a few pee with a water bucket thrown in there, and then we empty it.

anybody got his/her blackwater tank completely replaced and can discuss cost?

Cheers!

I would suggest removing the black tank yourself and taking it to a plastics place and have them fix the leak, then put it back in yourself.  RV mechanics charge $100 per hour and costs add up quickly on a project like that.

I cant imagine a black water tank costing more than 150 dollars for a TT, not worth repairing. Replace it would be my choice

Replaced the black tank on our 32 foot motorhome.  $2,600.  It looked like it had been worked on previously.  At least the piece that connects the tank to the drain pipe.  It didn't start leaking until we had it for two years and put 20,000 miles on the motorhome. 

Here's a couple of suppliers:

https://www.plastic-mart.com/category/34/rv-holding-tanks

https://www.plasticwatertanks.com/c/czf7c/rv-holding-tanks-for-sale

ok, here's one that's probably good for a 22 footer TT.

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/RV-Holding-Tank-Container-Waste-Water-Black-Toilet-33-Gallon-22-x-54-x-8-NEW/605138787?goog_pla=1&gpid=177431040781&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o4&ad_type=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtb_bBRCFARIsAO5fVvHdCpcoMO_qcM8g-v9Q-ooSY68Wb8GCOmIwEBS-nxCiJ1ZQ1c4BUOUaAt3_EALw_wcB

http://www.rvandvansurplus.com/holdingtanks.asp?Vehicletype=RV#

I wonder if there are certain specs that must be met since its for blackwater.  If there are no minimum specs then i would think you would not have to buy a tank from a RV supplier, any tank would do as long as it fit the space, didnt fall out on the road, didnt leak and allowed you to dump.

Seems to me so far that as soon as RV is added to a product, the price skyrockets.    You might also check junk yards, im sure there are tanks out there that are in perfect order that are very affordable.

Thanks all.

Yes, once you add RV into a parts name, the cost goes up. There is some fierce price gouging on some items.
I guess the main consideration for the blackwater tank is that its normally made of ABS and shall hold at least the same amount of liquid as the freshwater tank. Its obvious, but something to definitely keep in mind.

I'll try to price it oput and do it myself. I have the tools. What I miss is the place to do it....I have to replace the main Valterra (guess its a 3 inch). Ill get a better look at the scar/crack, its behind the valve.

durangod said:
I wonder if there are certain specs that must be met since its for blackwater.  If there are no minimum specs then i would think you would not have to buy a tank from a RV supplier, any tank would do as long as it fit the space, didnt fall out on the road, didnt leak and allowed you to dump.

Seems to me so far that as soon as RV is added to a product, the price skyrockets.    You might also check junk yards, im sure there are tanks out there that are in perfect order that are very affordable.
sure go ahead and buy one from an rv dealer and pay 3x the price, black water tank is sewage tank, they are probably hdpe plastic, doubt they are hard plastic (abs) so any will do

delavan said:
Thanks all.

Yes, once you add RV into a parts name, the cost goes up. There is some fierce price gouging on some items.
I guess the main consideration for the blackwater tank is that its normally made of ABS and shall hold at least the same amount of liquid as the freshwater tank. Its obvious, but something to definitely keep in mind.

I'll try to price it oput and do it myself. I have the tools. What I miss is the place to do it....I have to replace the main Valterra (guess its a 3 inch). Ill get a better look at the scar/crack, its behind the valve.
you can do it and, you will save yourself some money for gas in the tank

durangod said:

As for your junkyard comment, its a good one. I started asking around and most junkyards around here refuse to accept trailers, because there isnt enough metal in them to be work their while...there has to some places where they do take them! Need to find the local RV graveyard!

delavan said:
As for your junkyard comment, its a good one. I started asking around and most junkyards around here refuse to accept trailers, because there isnt enough metal in them to be work their while...there has to some places where they do take them! Need to find the local RV graveyard!
Perhaps if you created a signature with your location and type of RV we could hep you. See bottom of my post

5wheel said:
Hi All, maybe have it welded, what do you think?

As far is i know, any attempt at plastic welding or blending a patch in place is very expensive and time consuming as the plastic type and other specifics must be matched perfectly which is very expensive to do.  Also just a basic attempt at patching is also not sufficient enough to last, and having any chance at all of a patch failing could cost much more in environment cleanup than buying a new tank.

In a perfect world the best thing would be to just develope an instant conversion process to convert black water to grey water as you use the toilet, then you can dump almost anywhere in theory.  Im sure one day RV toilets may be able to do just that.

we weld hdpe everyday where I work, welding units cost 3500-5200 and they work well. We also have pvc welders, these both have 1/8" spools of hdpe or pvc cord. Matching up the welding material would be the tricky part as said above. I still would have to think those tanks are made of polyethylene, high density or low I do not know for sure but, they are flexible

Back
Top Bottom