replace floor carpeting with wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

changyrlif

hey folks I have torn out the carpet in a 1996 Rexhall Areo bus and want to replace with Bruce 3/8 pre finish . Is there a pad that can be put down such as a thin rubber so I can glue the flooring in place
Thanks John

Try MPglobal, they have a variety of underlayments, including rubber,
that will work with glue or nail down. You can see what's available, and then shop around.

I put down laminate tile when I finished my basement. I know the "system" had a very thin underlayment to be used over the concrete floor.

It was tongue and groove flooring and I am 100% sure there was no gluing required and in 5 years I never had anything shift. Knowing me everything was purchased at Home Depot or Lowes.

I put down laminate tile when I finished my basement. I know the "system" had a very thin underlayment to be used over the concrete floor.

It was tongue and groove flooring and I am 100% sure there was no gluing required and in 5 years I never had anything shift. Knowing me everything was purchased at Home Depot or Lowes.
My only caveat to an interlocking only laminate in a MH/RV would be to leave an ample expansion gap at the walls and don't nail the shoe mold through the laminate and into the subfloor. If you're storing it in a non climate controlled environment where daytime temps can be extreme and the laminate can't expand out it's going to expand up.

My only caveat to an interlocking only laminate in a MH/RV would be to leave an ample expansion gap at the walls and don't nail the shoe mold through the laminate and into the subfloor. If you're storing it in a non climate controlled environment where daytime temps can be extreme and the laminate can't expand out it's going to expand up.
Agree - I wasn't advocating tongue and groove. Just suggesting the thin underlayment that is made for such systems.

Agree - I wasn't advocating tongue and groove. Just suggesting the thin underlayment that is made for such systems.
Used Laminate on another unit we use to have, an older one, it worked fine, but this flooring is much lighter in weight. Still is a T&G like the original that is in the Gally area.Thanks for the info folks

Yeah, those underlayments are typically cushioning, were you to lay an interlocking system (floating) over uncushioned subfloor it would make a hellua racket when you walk over it. The old fasioned way on 3/4" tongue and groove nail down applications was roofing felt. Nowadays in many upscale homes where distressed 3/4" nail down is installed over 3/4" plywood shot onto slabs, they'll intentionally lay the floors directly on the subfloor ( no cushion), so the floors will intentionally squeak, for that bygone era ambiance.

We just had a bunch of carpet pulled up in the house and replaced with hard flooring. Laminate is going away, they are using HVT vinyl flooring now. It's waterproof, and there is no expansion or contraction - which is constant with the laminate we still have in the living room and dining room. This time of the year through Sep when you walk on it, it pops and cracks because it has expanded due to the humidity, and in the winter the air is dry enough that the panels separate on the ends and I'm constantly kicking them back together. The other rooms that we put the HVT in do not have that problem.

Padding goes down first. You don't have to leave room for expansion because vinyl doesn't do that.

Last edited:
Why are you glueing the flooring? I placed laminate in the kitchen area of our Pace Arrow. It's maybe 22 x 3 feet so not a huge area. I just laid the laminate over a thin pad and it doesn't more. The install guidelines says to leave space for expansion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom