Replacement patio awning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedT

After 18 years my motorhome patio awning with sun shield is in serious need of replacement. According to info I have, for use in hot, windy weather, acrylic fabric is preferred over vinyl. If you have replaced yours, what fabric did you use, and why?

I've had both, and it's not clear to me that acrylic is superior in hot, windy weather. Is that internet lore, or maybe a quote from some ad? What characteristic of acrylic helps with that?

Vinyl is heavier but has an advantage in that it is not woven, so tree sap, bird poop and dirt don't get down into the weave. It can be cleaned with strong detergents or even solvents if needed. Nor does vinyl ever leak unless a physical hole or tear is made, and those can be easily repaired if it happens. Acrylic, on the other hand, is light weight and colorful but difficult to remove anything other than surface dirt. And since it is a woven fabric, it eventually requires waterproofing to be re-applied. Acrylic is also difficult to repair if something damages it, e.g. a rip or hole.

I've been using redguard to seal cracks in my basement but it's not working anymore as my basement is constantly wet. Then I saw the product semco liquid membrane on facebook. Saw on their website that customers have used it in their basement to seal cracks? Any thoughts of that product?

Back
Top Bottom