Replacing carpet in motorhome.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

I've done this once before with good results. But that was in a no-slide class A. This time I've got to contend with a 12+ living room slide with carpet that overlaps 6 inches of the living room carpet. The condition of the living room carpet beneath those 6 inches of slide carpet that overlaps it is, to put it nicely, a mess. The living room carpet that it covers is held in place by a tack strip and staples. Fortunately when the slide is extended that 6 inches cover up that mess. While tack strips are used throughout the motorhome, my guess is where the living room carpet meets the slide they were added after the fact. That, and based on the size of the staples used, I'm guessing this was a repair effort.

I've removed the slide area carpet and the plywood floor is in good condition. The leading edge of the slide is a piece of plastic maybe 3 inches wide. As the slide comes in, it lifts up about an inch or so. The living room carpet extends beneath the slide floor a few inches and is likely not easily removed. While I haven't tried, I don't know if I need to, or even how to, remove that small section of carpet. I'm inclined to leave it in place and just use a new section of tack strip to hold the new carpet it in place. I may also staple it but am not sure whether a typical carpet staple will penetrate the plywood floor. I'm pretty sure that's why the heavier staples were used.

I'm buying a 12 x 16 foot section of carpet from Home Depot. I'll cut off a 4 x 16 foot piece for the slide area. The remaining 8 x 16 foot piece is more than enough for the main living area. The slide carpet that extends over the living room carpet will need to be bound. I can either have it done by a seam binding company or do it myself. Doesn't look too difficult.

For the main living area, I'll just use the existing carpet as a template and cut the new carpet a bit wider to minimize cutting errors. When I replaced the carpet in our old motorhome I did not remove the captains chairs. This time I'm thinking about doing it. Only question is how difficult is it and if that's even necessary.

My plan is to simply lay the carpet down, use new tack strips and staples where it meets the wall and a bendable section of metal transition where it meets the linoleum.

For those of you who have done this I'd appreciate any suggestions on the install and how to avoid potential problems.

When you get good at this let me know and I'll come for a visit.
Mine needs it too. Previous owners replaced all the easy stuff and left the old other places.

I've done this once before with good results. But that was in a no-slide class A. This time I've got to contend with a 12+ living room slide with carpet that overlaps 6 inches of the living room carpet. The condition of the living room carpet beneath those 6 inches of slide carpet that overlaps it is, to put it nicely, a mess. The living room carpet that it covers is held in place by a tack strip and staples. Fortunately when the slide is extended that 6 inches cover up that mess. While tack strips are used throughout the motorhome, my guess is where the living room carpet meets the slide they were added after the fact. That, and based on the size of the staples used, I'm guessing this was a repair effort.

I've removed the slide area carpet and the plywood floor is in good condition. The leading edge of the slide is a piece of plastic maybe 3 inches wide. As the slide comes in, it lifts up about an inch or so. The living room carpet extends beneath the slide floor a few inches and is likely not easily removed. While I haven't tried, I don't know if I need to, or even how to, remove that small section of carpet. I'm inclined to leave it in place and just use a new section of tack strip to hold the new carpet it in place. I may also staple it but am not sure whether a typical carpet staple will penetrate the plywood floor. I'm pretty sure that's why the heavier staples were used.

I'm buying a 12 x 16 foot section of carpet from Home Depot. I'll cut off a 4 x 16 foot piece for the slide area. The remaining 8 x 16 foot piece is more than enough for the main living area. The slide carpet that extends over the living room carpet will need to be bound. I can either have it done by a seam binding company or do it myself. Doesn't look too difficult.

For the main living area, I'll just use the existing carpet as a template and cut the new carpet a bit wider to minimize cutting errors. When I replaced the carpet in our old motorhome I did not remove the captains chairs. This time I'm thinking about doing it. Only question is how difficult is it and if that's even necessary.

My plan is to simply lay the carpet down, use new tack strips and staples where it meets the wall and a bendable section of metal transition where it meets the linoleum.

For those of you who have done this I'd appreciate any suggestions on the install and how to avoid potential problems.
We will be expecting detailed images to document this process. ;)

I believe that you should be able to remove that 3 inch wide plastic edge. If you can it should give you more room to access the edge of the carpet.

I replaced the carpet in my 2004 Fleetwood American Tradition but the slide was a little different than yours. There was a removable edge piece about 6" wide that gave access to the edge of the carpet underneath. Once removed, replacing the carpet was simple.

I replaced the carpet in my 2004 Fleetwood American Tradition but the slide was a little different than yours. There was a removable edge piece about 6" wide that gave access to the edge of the carpet underneath. Once removed, replacing the carpet was simple.
How did you access the removable edge? Mine butts up against the plywood subfloor of the slide. The subfloor appears to be screwed down and unless it's also secured some other way it should come right up. I didn't want to pull it up for fear I'd open a can of worms. But maybe that the correct way to do it.

Gary I would also like to know how to remove the carpet under the slide in a Fleetwood. Did you take pictures?

How did you access the removable edge?
Mine was screwed to the edge of the slide floor, which was about 1.5" thick. They were hex head screws, so I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with a long extension to get at the screws. I've got a lot of pictures of the job, but none showing the removal of that strip.

This was on my American Coach and they are built on a different assembly line than other Fleetwood Class Al brands, so I can't comment on the others.

Removed all the carpet except the pieces around and top of the dog house and the small section of carpet under the slides leading edge. The slide and leading edge lifts about an inch when it moves in. I was hoping that would be enough to grab the carpet with a pliers and pull the small piece out. No luck. It wouldn't budge. So it looks like I'll have to go with plan B.

Plan B involves laying the carpet about an inch or two from the leading edge and securing it with tack strips. The slide carpet extends over the living room carpet so it won't be noticeable. As long as the leading edge of the slide clears the carpet it should work.

The carpet under the captains chairs was laid after the chairs were put in so that's how I'm going to lay the new carpet. All they did was join the two pieces by tacking them to a 6" wide board. Crude but effective.

For the dog house I'm thinking of laying the new carpet over the old. Not sure how that will look but I'm hoping it might provide a bit of sound insulation.

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up some tools and ponder the carpet install. I really need a days rest anyway.

One of the things that I'm not looking forward to is binding the edge of the slide carpet that extends over the living room carpet. I'm probably going to use a product called Instabind Carpet Binding tape. Looks like a tedious job. Maybe I can get the DW to do it. :LOL:

I helped my friend re carpet his trailer. We found a local carpet gut who had a binding machine. After we cut the piece for the slide we took it to him and he put the binding on it for $50. You might want to check around your area with local installers. Maybe one of them has a machine.

I had the piece for my slide bound as well, just the loose edge where it overlaps the main floor. It was $35. The other 3 edges butt against the slide walls and don't need binding.

Last edited:
Mine was screwed to the edge of the slide floor, which was about 1.5" thick. They were hex head screws, so I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with a long extension to get at the screws. I've got a lot of pictures of the job, but none showing the removal of that strip.

This was on my American Coach and they are built on a different assembly line than other Fleetwood Class Al brands, so I can't comment on the others.
Mine could be the same. The slide needs to come in about a foot to access 3 screws on each side. They screw into a white plastic piece and likely the leading edge. Also the plywood over the leading edge is screwed down. While I haven't tried, I'm pretty sure removing them would allow me to pull the edge away from the slide floor.

However even without removing the leading edge, I did manage to remove all the carpet. It was stapled beneath it. The staples held it in place not the slide floor as I thought. I took a pry bar, slid it under the carpet and pushed the carpet up. Out came the staples and out came the carpet.

8MuddyPaws said what I was thinking, did you take pics? It might help the rest of us who are going to tackle this at some point.

Our doghouse has a torn/worn spot and it gives a clue to how they covered it originally.

Pie cuts let them wrap it and I figure glue and clamps to hold the carpet until the glue sets.

Re-carpet and laminate flooring about 95% complete. I've attached a few before and after pix. I have more pix and will post if anyone has questions regarding the install.

Attachments

• Living Room Pace .jpg
    Living Room Pace .jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 22
  • kitchen counter dinette.jpg
    kitchen counter dinette.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Comfy chair.jpg
    Comfy chair.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN7368.jpeg
    DSCN7368.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN7379.jpeg
    DSCN7379.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN7378.jpeg
    DSCN7378.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN7366.jpeg
    DSCN7366.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN7408.jpeg
    DSCN7408.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 22
Thanks. The laminate flooring was much more work than I anticipated. For anyone that's thinking about replacing linoleum, I highly recommend vinyl. It's flexible and can be cut with a sharp knife. Laminate requires a miter saw and leaves lots of dust. Also I cut the laminate in my garage which required lots of trips in and out of the motorhome. That in itself was pretty time consuming. Then again, it was great exercise. :( The carpet is more planning than work. Not many Youtube videos on motorhome re-carpeting. The doghouse carpet was relatively easy thanks to the template, the old one I pulled off and used as a pattern. Old doghouse carpet glued down. I used double sided carpet tape and lots of staples in sections of wood cut to fit around the bottom of the doghouse. I used the original pieces which were screwed into the subfloor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom