replacing couch with something else???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DougJ

I've seen in the thread on favourite mods within the motorhome that some folks have replaced the couch with recliners, or tables, or what ever.

If there are pics somewhere showing what folks have done, please point me there.  If there are none on the board, then any perhaps those of you who have made the mod might post a pic of the results.

TIA,

Doug

Doug:

I will send pics as soon as I have a chance to tidy up.  Newmar is very good about accepting custom orders (they call them "specials") which was one of several reasons we selected them.

We have the 3910 Kountry Star pusher.  The floor plan calls for a premium sofa with air mattress bed on the driver side and a standard sofa with a less luxurious mattress on the passenger side.  I call them premium and standard because I forgot what Newmar calls them.

At any rate, we wanted to keep the premium sofa bed and replace the stnadard sofa bed on the passenger side with two full recliners.  Initially Newmar said that would not be possible.  We persisted and wanted to know why.  They said it had to do with the slide-out construction on the passenger side and the only place the chairs would fit would be on the driver side.

We then asked why we couldn't move the premium sofa over to the passenger side and place the two recliners on the driver side.  Newmar replied that the slide-out on the driver side was level with the floor and the premium sofa had front legs designed with that in mind.  If they moved the premium sofa to the passenger side, the front legs would be two inches off the floor because that slide had a platform above floor level.

After lengthy discussions they agreed to do it that way because we said we would place something ourselves under the front legs. Once the coach was delivered, we decided the front legs were cosmetic, and had nothing to do with the stability of the sofa, as it was securely fastened directly to the slide-out floor.  Most folk who come on to our coach never notice the legs being off the floor.  As a result we have left it that way.  It will be more clear when you see the pics.  I call it our floating sofa.  ;D

Well, Tom, the finished thing pic shows a nice job, inspite of the sawdust on the bed, etc. :)

Thanks also for pointing me into the thread.

At this point I don't know what I want to do.  We have the couch on the driver side of a no-slide Elandan, opposite two captain(?) chairs, one of which reclines, and between which a table pulls out from its vertical storage position against the passenger side wall.

I'm planning on buying a folding table that will fit between those two chairs and be large enough that we no longer have to sit on the edge of the chairs to get up to the table to eat.  And if the table is rotated 90 degrees it will fit in aisle allowing sitters in the couch and the chairs to be able to reach the table comfortably. 

That may do the trick.  An alternative is to get rid of the couch and set up a form of dinette in its place.  The couch is a pull out bed, but we don't use if for that purpose.

Doug--still thinking

Thanks for your reply, Smoky.  Look forward to the pics once you've tidied up; I think they may help me sort out either what change I'd like to make, or what I don't want to make.

Glad you got the specials installed that you wanted.  Your story about the legs off the floor reminds me of the architect of St. Paul's in London (I think) who was using arches to support the roof and wanted pillars for show.  The authorities on the project said we have to have pillars for support; he resisted, but they won the argument.  So he had the arches built, but they didn't touch and hence offered no support.  Of course the great cathedral still stands having survived the London blitz.

Ciao,

Doug

Doug

It is not a couch replacement, but here are some pics of my dining table replacement.

Attachments

• T&B0 (Small).jpeg
    T&B0 (Small).jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 96
  • T&B2 (Small).jpeg
    T&B2 (Small).jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 74
  • T&B3 (Small).jpeg
    T&B3 (Small).jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 64
  • T&B5 (Small).jpeg
    T&B5 (Small).jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 64
  • T&B6 (Small).jpeg
    T&B6 (Small).jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 62
  • T&B9 (Small).jpeg
    T&B9 (Small).jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Corian 6 (Small).jpg
    Corian 6 (Small).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 77
Terry,

Having seen it "in person", I really like the dining table replacement in your coach. It takes up much less space than a dinette or a regular dining table when not being used for meals. Also, between meals, you have a very functional desk, table or whatever.

DougJ said:
Well, Tom, the finished thing pic shows a nice job, inspite of the sawdust on the bed, etc. :)

Thanks Doug. We're very happy with the desk unit. The light cherry wood (noticeable in my photos) is gradually darkening to match the rest of the wood in the coach.

Thanks, Terry, for sharing those pics.  It's a nice piece of kit and it's got me thinking it's a possibility for replacing my couch--except, that somehow I've got to retain some seating capacity, and not just with the straight-back chairs.

Ciao,

Doug

Hi Doug,

Here is what we had done to replace the J-sofa in our American Dream. Shaun Davis in Junction City, OR did the work. The desk replaced the couch along with the shallow cabinets. We also added the cabinets along the dinette wall for additional storage. An Ekornes stressless chair and ottoman sit in front of the shallow cabinets, next to the desk.

Attachments

• DSCN1968 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1968 (Medium).JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN1970 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1970 (Medium).JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 62
Smoky said:
Doug:

I will send pics as soon as I have a chance to tidy up.? Newmar is very good about accepting custom orders (they call them "specials") which was one of several reasons we selected them.

We have the 3910 Kountry Star pusher.? The floor plan calls for a premium sofa with air mattress bed on the driver side and a standard sofa with a less luxurious mattress on the passenger side.? I call them premium and standard because I forgot what Newmar calls them.

At any rate, we wanted to keep the premium sofa bed and replace the stnadard sofa bed on the passenger side with two full recliners.? Initially Newmar said that would not be possible.? We persisted and wanted to know why.? They said it had to do with the slide-out construction on the passenger side and the only place the chairs would fit would be on the driver side.

We then asked why we couldn't move the premium sofa over to the passenger side and place the two recliners on the driver side.? Newmar replied that the slide-out on the driver side was level with the floor and the premium sofa had front legs designed with that in mind.? If they moved the premium sofa to the passenger side, the front legs would be two inches off the floor because that slide had a platform above floor level.

After lengthy discussions they agreed to do it that way because we said we would place something ourselves under the front legs. Once the coach was delivered, we decided the front legs were cosmetic, and had nothing to do with the stability of the sofa, as it was securely fastened directly to the slide-out floor.? Most folk who come on to our coach never notice the legs being off the floor.? As a result we have left it that way.? It will be more clear when you see the pics.? I call it our floating sofa.? ?;D
Hey Smoky, my 3910 came wtih two couches and the one couch on the passenger side that just lays flat has two legs on the front that are two inches off the ground.? It must have come that way from the factory as i don't think it has ever been changed out.? My legs float off the floor as well.? I did not notice it until I read this post.

Gasser,

Two legs in the air is a Newmar hallmark  ;D

LOL Gasser. I heard that Newmar did it to save weight in the coach  ;D

Tom said:
LOL Gasser. I heard that Newmar did it to save weight in the coach? ;D
I think I need to adopt that philosophy myself.  ;)

I notice you are a nite owl like me.  Just can't sleep so time to brows the boards. :p ;D

Gasser said:
I notice you are a nite owl like me.

Yes, I'm online at all hours of the day and night. But last night I was actually in bed "very early" (for me).

Here is what we had done to replace the J-sofa in our American Dream.

Thanks for sharing the pics, Jim.  Peg has said that she doesn't want to lose the couch, so end of story.  If she's not feeling well on a travelling day, she flakes out on the couch as we travel--that's why she doesn't want to lose the couch.

I'm in Burlington, WA, tonight, just north of a new Camping World.  Went to CW today hoping to get a folding/adjustable height table, but they had none in stock and CW has discontinued it as a product.  Oh pooh!

Ciao,

Doug

Hello to Everyone

I'm new here and have a question regarding replacing an existing Sofa.  Our current sofa just folds out, has no mattress and is not quite a double.  We would like to replace it with an actual sofa bed.  I understand that we have to buy the proper height and length and also width for when the slide is open.  My question is is it possible to buy a regular sofa bed to replace this or should we be buying one specifically for RV's.  We have a 2004 Sunseeker 31SS and the sofa is on the slide.  Finding a replacement in the RV type has been a challenge with the decor and leather is not an option as we travel with two cats (with claws) and a small Chihuahua.  The seat belts are bolted to the floor of the RV already and I understand that it would not be difficult to bolt the sofa down either, but would there be a weight problem or what should we be looking at.

Glad you posted that no question is a dumb one but this may be it.  I'm, sure that there are many more knowledgeable people out there than I on this topic.

Thanks

Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne,

That's a gret question and I'll be interested in reading the replies.

One thought that comes to mind is that "RV type sofas" typically have a metal frame underneath and a removable front. Both of these features make it easy to bolt the sofa/bed to the floor. But I assume that they're not all this way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom