Replacing damaged awning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Bojangles

Hello:

I have a small awning (13?) which needs replacing. Has anyone replaced an awning on a TT and willing to share experience and knowledge gained in doing this task?
In my mind, the big problem is the need for a table or bench to stand on, and a second set of hands as one connects the awning to body of trailer, as well as each end of support struts.
?
My trailer is a trail-Sport made by R-Vision. Model TS19RDB. I believe the Awning with aluminum roller support is 12?, 9? long.? Dealer calls this a 13? Awning.

Price of Awning (cloth) and roller is $389? cloth alone is $166, but, technician at dealer suggesting too hard without proper tools and set-up. I agree! Going to replace aluminum roller and cloth (vinyl)

Thanking you?.
?

Jim,

I don't know of anyone who has tackled that particular job themselves, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I've heard that the roll-up springs can be a real bear to work with. I will attempt almost anything myself, but would leave awnings to the experts; then again, mine is about 24' long so the weight is an important factor too.

I have removed and reworked a slidout awning but as far as a big awning I am in full agreement with Karl, leave that to the professionals.? It might be that you can get the pros to change the fabric for about the same price or less as trying to replace the whole thing yourself.? Come to think about it it might be a whole lot cheaper since you wouldn't be placing yourself in position for potential serious injury.? Those springs can bite if they slip.

I replaced the awning on a MB34 Coachman MH a few years back with the help of a friend. Time consuming and aggrevating? to do.? However,? We got her done. Not really that hard and after it's done you think I could have done that more easily.? ?The next one I had done? took it to a dealer cause it was under warranty.? Much easier.? Hardest thing? is pulling it and up and down on the ladder.

I have done work on my awning with a so called expert to help me. The spring is the worst by far. The so called expert was winding the spring when I don't now he forgot to hang on to it.I don't now what happend first the vice grips stopped spinning or the blood started pooring out of his head. Lucky for him I ran an ambulance for 10 years. Then after I got the awning all bungee corded up I took it to a service center.

Thanks all for taking time to respond....

I will take to dealer and have material replaced......

Jigg's comments (story) was most influential, and I hope time did not allow his story to grow too much (If he is anything like me, his nose is bigger). But, others were cautioning me about danger and my ego was not listening. The mention of "BLOOD" got my attention.
THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!! site is very valuable to people like myself.

Just to up date you I did get my awning fixed { from a pro ] And I still know my so called expert. We changed his name to flat head. Go spend some money and save your self some who knows what.
Good luck jiggs

Back
Top Bottom