Replacing damaged crank up roof vents/skylights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PackmanJim

A low hanging limb cracked all three of my roof vents on my 2016 Class C Coachman Leprechaun.  They seem to be made of pretty cheap plastic.  Can i just replace the dome or do I have to replace the whole crank out mechanism?  Thanks in advance, Jim.

Sorry to read about the bad luck. No damage to the roof or a/c unit?

You need to know the brand (and maybe the model) of the roof vent, but that dome can be replaced in all the ones I'm aware of.  Presumably the dome on a 2016 isn't obsolete yet, so the part should be available.

I'll bet that that tree did it all alone to right? ;D  If the skylight dome is only cracked and no holes,, you can use a polyeuathane ADHESIVE on all the cracks and it won't show on the inside.. I repaired mine that way 8 years ago and still great.>>>Dan

I replaced just the dome on my box trailer. Ordered it from E-trailer, they are a standard size and the replacement fit fine.

My local RV dealer recommends bringing the old one in to compare and match the hinges (which is what matters).

Since I had their catalog, I was able to do the math on which one I needed. Standard replacements are $15, but they seem to only last 1-2 years. Yesterday, I picked up some Camco "unbreakable polycarbonate" vents from the dealer for $30 each which have a 5 year warranty, so we will see how much better they hold up.

In my MH, the vents had some air noise that annoyed me while driving, so I put the semi-round covers over them. I ordered those on Amazon for $17 each, but my local Menards hardware store sells them for $20. The dealer sells them for $35.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.  Yes the hinges are the main thing you have to match but I think I have it figured out.

Back
Top Bottom