Replacing entry door glass only - '05 Winnebago Aspect 26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motoracerx

So apparently i shut the entry door too enthusiastically, and shattered the glass on my '05 Winnebago Aspect 26.

I have the new glass from Lichtinns.

I can easily remove the inside part of the frame with the 16 or so screws, but the outer frame is sealed with butyl tape it appears, from the factory. So do i just wedge a plastic putty knife between the frame and the the door until i break the butyl seal all the way around the window...?

Also, the frame is split at the buttom and then riveted together with a 'splice' of sorts. It looks like the frame was fastened around the glass and then riveted together.

I'm starting to think that it may be easier just to buy a complete door from AP.

I can't find anything on youtube, only full window replacement. Nothing on GLASS only replacement.

The 2nd picture shows the rivets in the bottom of the frame. So if i get the window out, i'll have to drill out the rivets and re-rivet.

Attachments

• winnebago glass.jpg
    winnebago glass.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 8
  • winnebago glass 1.jpg
    winnebago glass 1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 8
Hi Motoracerx, I replaced my door glass in my 2005 Itasca Meridian last year. It was a double pain glass that started to fog between the pains. I searched and found that the same replacement glass was going to cost a lot. I called my local glass shop here in Rockford, Illinois ( Cardinial Glass co. ) I spoke with them and was told that double pain glass with tint would be the same thickness as I had but without the gas in between. Thus would eliminate the fog issue. I took the frame and all into there shop and had them disassemble it and replace the glass and reassemble it. The total cost was $89.00. They even gave me the butal tape to reinstall it into the door. Best fix I ever did for the cost !!! Good luck !!!

...I can easily remove the inside part of the frame with the 16 or so screws, but the outer frame is sealed with butyl tape it appears, from the factory. So do i just wedge a plastic putty knife between the frame and the the door until i break the butyl seal all the way around the window...?
That's basically the procedure for removing the frame. Start in a corner and work your way around. Naphtha as I recall is sort of solvent for the butyl tape but do a test to see what solvent might assist removal.

Hi Motoracerx, I replaced my door glass in my 2005 Itasca Meridian last year. It was a double pain glass that started to fog between the pains. I searched and found that the same replacement glass was going to cost a lot. I called my local glass shop here in Rockford, Illinois ( Cardinial Glass co. ) I spoke with them and was told that double pain glass with tint would be the same thickness as I had but without the gas in between. Thus would eliminate the fog issue. I took the frame and all into there shop and had them disassemble it and replace the glass and reassemble it. The total cost was $89.00. They even gave me the butal tape to reinstall it into the door. Best fix I ever did for the cost !!! Good luck !!!
Great advice, but unfortunately the $37 glass from Lichtinns cost me $275 already. i was in a panic/rush to fix the window myself before last wknds 500 mile roundtrip, so I 2 day aired the glass.

When i realized i didn't have time to do the repair myself, i taped both sides of the shattered glass and got on with my planned wknd excursion without issue.

Done! Wasn't the most difficult job in the world, but a little worrisome since i really didn't know the steps involved..

Getting the shattered glass out of the frame/channel that it sits in was the most difficult. Looking back, i should have taken the outer weather stripping off first, but i didn't know if it was going to come out at all. And cleaning up the old butyl tape off the frame was a PITA.

So if it wasn't for the $240 in 2 day air shipping charges, i would have had $50 in parts and my free labor. Total cost was $300. Still cheaper than a dealer doing it. :)

Attachments

• winnebago glass1.jpg
    winnebago glass1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 4
Thanks guys....This is my first RV so I definitely don't mind learning how to fix things myself.
I'm still 'learning' the RV itself.

I am mechanically inclined, work in the concrete construction biz, and do my own work on my vehicles and motorcycles. So hopefully IF i need to fix something, i can do it for the most part.

I use the RV mainly for wknd excursions....offroading in KY and TN, and going to racetracks with the motorcycles.

I can't believe i was able to buy it at such a great price in Nov 2020, when COVID was jacking prices up on everything recreational related.

'05 Aspect 26, 27k miles, bought from original owner, all receipts, manuals, etc. $22,000. I can't find these going for less then $40k today, unless they have double/triple the miles.

winnebago trailer.jpgwinnebago trailer1.jpg

motoracerx

As you have found LACK OF PATIENCE is COSTLY.
True, it certainly can be, but i didn't know if tape was going to keep the window intact for a pre-planned/pre-paid 500 mile trip to the racetrack. I broke it on Sunday. Ordered on Monday, and had it wednesday. So i had 2 evenings to get the window fixed but my 12-14 hr work days in 100 degree heat, sucked the ambition out of me. :) Plus the threat of rain each evening kept me from doing the removal.

If i didn't have $1500 invested in the wknd already, and didn't need to be at my next event (I race motorcycles) I surely would have just shipped the glass regular ground.

I"m aaaaallllll about convenience and whatever it takes to get the job done.

Back
Top Bottom