Replacing flooring - recommendations?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chesikatter

Hi all! We're looking to replace the flooring in our 1984 Ford Ambassador Holiday Rambler.
It's the original carpet right now. I want something that has the appearance of wood but lightweight is the top priority!
We have a kiddo so I just think wood is much easier to clean for spills/dust & looks a lot nicer ;)
What are your recommendations for a lightweight wood (laminate maybe?) I'd love to see pics!

And also how to go about installing it... honestly I'm doing all the renovations on the interior myself so I am looking to hire someone to do the flooring for us. I got a quote for $3,000 on Yelp but oh my gosh, that's so much! A friend got theirs done for $700 and that's much more in-budgetl - that was ages ago though and they've since lost the number and forgot the person. We're in San Diego if anyone has recommendations for that too!

Here is a link to the write up I did when I replaced mine.

Do not bother to click on the Photobucket links as the pictures are reduced and posted later in the post and this will not use up your data allowance.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,69841.msg1083688.html#msg1083688

chesikatter said:
Hi all! We're looking to replace the flooring in our 1984 Ford Ambassador Holiday Rambler.
It's the original carpet right now. I want something that has the appearance of wood but lightweight is the top priority!
We have a kiddo so I just think wood is much easier to clean for spills/dust & looks a lot nicer ;)
What are your recommendations for a lightweight wood (laminate maybe?) I'd love to see pics!

And also how to go about installing it... honestly I'm doing all the renovations on the interior myself so I am looking to hire someone to do the flooring for us. I got a quote for $3,000 on Yelp but oh my gosh, that's so much! A friend got theirs done for $700 and that's much more in-budgetl - that was ages ago though and they've since lost the number and forgot the person. We're in San Diego if anyone has recommendations for that too!
dont pay someone 3K, thats highway robbery. I have less than 400 dollars in my bamboo flooring and if you can use a chop saw you can do it fairly easily.Remove the sofa and dinette booth and anything else that you can to reduce cutting, follow instructions and watch some youtube videos

I just put a solid (luxury) vinyl floor in my daughters basement.
Totally water proof. I was impressed with how how tight the seams were.
Even a single water spill can permanently deform a basic laminate floor. Real wood is better, but much heavier.
When it comes time to do my rv floor I'm going with the vinyl.

Ps, I'm talking about click connect stuff that's about 3/16 thick, not the thin adhesive strip stuff that will migrate on you.

I had a guy install wood flooring in my bedroom and bathroom. I love it except he did the bedroom first and didn't remove the carpet telling me it would cost less and provide more insulation. Bah humbug.
The floor is not very stable. It moves around. Also the wood flooring is very slippery compared to carpeting so be careful.

Even thin ozite indoor/outdoor carpet is too spongy to put wood on top.

Was that a professional Installer?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom