Replacing foam on exterior handle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
My TT has an exterior handle (like the one pictured below) and the black foam covering needs to be replaced.  Anyone found a good source for a roll of that foam material?  I've located individual sections on Amazon for all other sorts of specific purposes... bicycle handles, stroller guards, cane covers, etc.  But I'd like to find a larger section that can be cut into smaller segments for various uses.  We have a pull-up bar and some other places I could use it too.

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 45
That looks like the Stromberg-Carlson version. Mine is an ITC and Camco also makes them. Not sure where to get just the foam but the whole handle is about $30. Maybe one of the manufacturers will have a replacement. Not sure it is worth taking it all apart for the foam, I would just replace the whole handle. https://www.amazon.com/ITC-86472-W-B-DB-Folding-Assist/dp/B007H2PU7W/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1523744776&sr=8-5&keywords=rv+entry+handle

Check pipe wrap at any big box store.  Thats all it is.

I replaced mine 4 years ago. Call STROMBERG CARLSON PRODUCTS INC. 1-231-947-8600. Ask for item #FP-1001-R. They charged me $9.95.  Shipping was $10.49. If the prices have gone up, it may be wiser to just buy the entire handle.

https://www.strombergcarlson.com/

Pipe wrap... something like that is what I'm looking for, a similar product that hopefully only costs a few bucks.  The foam doesn't seem that complex, and I'm sure I could order the EXACT replacement (whether the entire handle, or specific foam piece as linked above) but that seems unnecessary and overly expensive.  The handle looks like it would come off of its mount pretty easily (a couple screws) and I could slide on the new foam.

I'm always thinking outside the box, seems like grip tape for fishing rods would be simple and last longer then the foam. I have a D handle on the Camper, and that foam is nothing special or long lasting material. Lots of choices for building fishing rods, including colors for handle grips including foam, which I bet is better quality foam,,,gregg
http://www.mudhole.com/Components-Rod-Building/handles-grips-components/tape-cord-shrink-tubing-handles

scottydl said:
Pipe wrap... something like that is what I'm looking for, a similar product that hopefully only costs a few bucks.  The foam doesn't seem that complex, and I'm sure I could order the EXACT replacement (whether the entire handle, or specific foam piece as linked above) but that seems unnecessary and overly expensive.  The handle looks like it would come off of its mount pretty easily (a couple screws) and I could slide on the new foam.

You'd probably have to replace it every 6 months especially if it sits in the sun and it get's used quite often. That foam is not very strong and it will start falling apart in no time. 
If you do decide to try it, get the foam that's already split with pre installed glue.

SargeW said:
How about a foam swim noodle at Wal Mart? About $2.

A foam noodle would likely be too bulky to leave on permanently. However, I actually cut a foam noodle and place it over the handle while my RV is in storage to prevent sun and weather damage. On that same note, I also place a foam noodle on the bottoms of my slides to prevent my 3 young boys from banging their heads into it. Those noodles are for much more than just swimming! 

I used a piece of the black insulation they use on air conditioner piping.  It fit perfectly, has a smooth outside, and is designed to be outside in the elements.    You could probably get a piece from a HVAC guy for a few dollars.

Thanks for all the great ideas... a search for "tube pipe insulation" brings up a lot of options, with prices around $6-10 for 6-foot lengths in various diameters.  Just what the doctor handle ordered!

After reading all responses, go hybrid.  Use the cheap split foam pipe insulation, wrapped with fly rod grip tape for durability.  And choice of colors!

This is what I used.  It is an EPDM rubber-based elastomeric material that is flexible, lightweight, UV resistant, and requires no outdoor weather protection.  Mine is several years old and it is still in great shape.  It is also solid and slipped on the handle easily and has stayed where I put it.
I'm not sure if this is the size I used.
https://www.grainger.com/product/AEROFLEX-1-Thick-19NG12?cm_sp=Product_Details-_-Products_Based_on_Your_Search-_-IDPPLARECS&cm_vc=IDPPLARECS

Dave2001 said:
This is what I used.  It is an EPDM rubber-based elastomeric material that is flexible, lightweight, UV resistant, and requires no outdoor weather protection.  Mine is several years old and it is still in great shape.  It is also solid and slipped on the handle easily and has stayed where I put it.
I'm not sure if this is the size I used.
https://www.grainger.com/product/AEROFLEX-1-Thick-19NG12?cm_sp=Product_Details-_-Products_Based_on_Your_Search-_-IDPPLARECS&cm_vc=IDPPLARECS

This can't be the right one. The inside diameter is 2-1/8"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom