Replacing front Class C seats with swivel seats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeanAndKaty

(Found a thread on this topic that was ten years old so I figured I?d start over...)

Just wondering how feasible it is to convert one or both of our Class C MH front seats to swivel seats. Space is tight there of course but I know it can work because we?ve seen some of them. Our Nexus Phantom has a pretty typical Ford V-10 front end.... Anyone done it or know anything about it? Is it a $600 project, or a $3,000 project? Thanks in advance...

You may find the info you need here: http://www.discountvantruck.com/rvseatbases/rvpowerbases.htm

Hey, great info; thank you. That gives me hope that only the under-seat mechanisms need to be replaced, as opposed to the whole seat. Don?t know if I?m up to that task, either, but this is a good start. Gotta make sure my wife doesn?t see that site?s ?sofa sleeper replacements? page though! Thanks again...

Did you ever end up getting the swivel base?  How did it work out for you?  I'm considering one myself.

michael2323jordan

michael2323jordan said:
Well I ordered the Ford swivel base from Sportsmobile (https://www.sportsmobilestore.com/ford-e-series-swivel-seat-base/) last week.  It should be here and installed later this week.  I'll post pics.

michael2323jordan

I'm very interested to see how it turns out.  I was looking at this for the passenger seat of our Minnie Winnie.  Is your unit on an E450 chassis?  Seems like on ours there is VERY little swivel room, but I'm told it can work.

i'm also very interested in how it turns out for you.  Are you doing both sides?

I'm in the process now of getting serious about replacing our failed vinyl upholstery.  I figured that sine I'll have to pull the cab seats out to recover them anyway, I might as well convert at least one side to swivel.

Just yesterday I found some mention in a very old thread on some other forum about van conversions where they were discussing the legal and safety considerations of doing this.... which also got me to thinking....

also, I remember a while back stumbling across a vid on youtube where someone was showing his very complex procedure to spin the driver's side around.... slide forward, tilt up, then stand on your left foot while to hop in a circle, slide it back halve way, rotate 10 degrees tilt the seat again, etc...  not really, but it was a trick to get the seat to clear the steering wheel.

When you ask a question in a forum, have the decency to come back and state your resolution. That is common courtesy updated and should be stated in forum rules if it isn't already. Who hasn't experienced the frustration of this when looking for internet information in forums?

Dan23 said:
When you ask a question in a forum, have the decency to come back and state your resolution. That is common courtesy updated and should be stated in forum rules if it isn't already. Who hasn't experienced the frustration of this when looking for internet information in forums?
Yikes, although I agree 100%, he only ordered them 7 days ago. 

You have a point. I was referring to the date of the original post, Nov., 2018. Did I read something else wrong? Thanks for your above reply.

I did the passenger side of mine
https://www.discountvantruck.com/rvseatbases/rvFordseatbases.htm
relatively easy job. 
Had to buy a special torx TP55 bit
The base is not a perfect fit....kinda have to tilt, swivel part way, slide back, swivel some more, etc.... to finagle it around between the door and dash, but it's really not too bad...and I wish I'd done it years ago!

If you have a tilt steering column its pretty easy to rotate. Mine has a full basement with raised floor so both sides will only swivel about 110 degrees.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom