Replacing Main Power Cord Plug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

Etrailer shows two plugs and I am not sure what the real difference is.

Here is the first one, in the video they specifically mention it is for dry areas only, and i dont know why.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Mighty-Cord/A10-P30VP.html

Here is the other one, and they DO NOT mention in their video that it is for dry areas only, whats the difference.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Camco/CAM55245.html

The yellow one I do not believe will fit in my cord storage hole when put away but the black one will and it is cheaper, but the black one says it is only for dry areas.

Having installed a Camco 50 amp replacement plug last year I would not wish it on anyone, the old plug was also a Camco replacement plug, however in the years between when it was installed and when I bought the new one it appears Camco have en-cheapened their design considerably.  Even with a fair amount of experience working with wiring installing that Camco plug was a pain.

I like the yellow one better, but it is too big and i dont want it hanging out of my storage hole.  I suppose maybe a bit of sealant can be added to the black one when it is reassembled to make it more weather resistent.

I have one of the non waterproofed versions ?indoor use?  I purchased mine from the local Lowes store, they had it in stock in the electric Dept.  I dry to keep it dry as much as possible, it has worked Ok.  Another negative about it is that it is hard plastic, if you let it drop hard on a concrete driveway it could crack, I have not broken mine yet, sometimes I need to toss it under the Rv to get it to the other side, I try and do it gently .

You'll probably have to cut the handle off that yellow one in order to close the cover on some panels.

On my new trailer that we bought two years ago that is how mine is.

On the black one, I wouldn't worry about it being in a dry area. With the panel door closed it is in a dry area. Think about the breakers and receptacles in that  panel.

Jack L

Personally, this is what I would use.  Leviton is a well known, high quality electrical device manufacturer and has been around for years and years.  High quality products......
https://store.leviton.com/products/30-amp-125-volt-nema-tt-30p-2p-3w-plug-straight-blade-industrial-grade-angle-grounding-black-830-t?variant=18215939587

I like the Camco Power Pull pulgs.. But I do NOT have a hole to shove them in. It is not waterproof but it does ok. plus the outlet I plug it into is high enough it's never under water.. (Or at least should never be under water) Mine is only about 20 months old since I had an "Issue" summer 2017 and as it turned out I did not need a new plug. but I played safe and put a new on on anyway. (Wire became disconnected)

Yes I agree I am not really worried about it being underwater but when you are at a nice campground with grass and you roll it up it drags through the grass and could get moisture inside of it that way.  So That is why I am thinking that alittle sealant when assembled could help.  From the sounds of other replies it looks like the black one is thin plastic and the yellow one is more heavy duty plastic.

I really like the Leviton model, I wish it had some measurments on the page.

djw2112 said:
Yes I agree I am not really worried about it being underwater but when you are at a nice campground with grass and you roll it up it drags through the grass and could get moisture inside of it that way. 

Since you push the cord into a hole, why are you dragging the plug thru the grass?  Simply carry the plug and position it near the hole then push the cord in.  That large handle on the yellow one is something that I don't want because some boxes are held open.

lynnmor said:
Since you push the cord into a hole, why are you dragging the plug thru the grass?  Simply carry the plug and position it near the hole then push the cord in.  That large handle on the yellow one is something that I don't want because some boxes are held open.

X's two

Jack L

You folks are way overthinking this, but applying some sealant can't hurt.

Or get a better grade of plug. Here are a few:

https://tweetys.com/progressive-industries-tt-30p-power-cord-plug-end.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/Miady-30AMP-Replacement-Unplug-Design/dp/B077QJT8PT/

https://www.amazon.com/Journeyman-Pro-Connector-Industrial-Grounding-TT30P-YELLOW/dp/B078XMCD56/

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/Power-Cord-Plug-End--Replacement-Plug--30-Amps--90-Degree-Angle--TT-30-Type-End.html

lynnmor said:

Because sometimes it is necessary to toss it under the RV to reach the portal, and so retrieving it would mean dragging it under the RV as well.

Right on Gary! Thank you for more options !

I wouldn't recommend the last example in Gary's list.  The back cover on the one I had was made out of hard plastic and cracked when I accidentally dropped it onto some concrete.

I recently replaced both ends of an old 30A extention cord my dad gave me...using the yellow camco plugs.
I didn't find them to be overly difficult to work with and they seemed ok.  Not the most durable perhaps for constant dropping and rough use (I can imagine the plastic cracking with too much rough handling) , but ok I think for what they are...for normal use...

and I agree with Gary...way overthinking it.  My guess is by dry areas, they mean not on a boat in a marina...and not submerged... I don't think a little rain is going to be a bother for any of them when used correctly...especially in a rain duty pedestal

I suspect the difference is the material and its intended purpose as some have eluded too. Cords are made using different materials for indoors and exposed to the elements. Indoor cords are not designed to withstand the rigors required outside. Outdoor cords are also better insulated between conductors to prevent electrical shock should the wiring become damaged. Indoor cords don't have an extra layer of protection around the conductors and at best a paper wrap around the ground. Nick the hot line and it will short to the ground wire, maybe not enough to trip the breaker, but enough to give you a wake up call, or worse. In outdoor cords the ground wire is insulated, not with paper, but with the same material as the other wires.

Can you get by with an indoor cord, sure. Until it gets damaged, and damaged is where the outdoor cord adds a layer of protection the indoor cord doesn't have. Your life, choose wisely.

docj said:
Does anyone have an idea why this plug is so much more expensive than the ones that have been discussed so far? I don't mind paying the extra money if I'm really getting something for it.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00A7ZS1H2/?coliid=I1BMZNSPY33S72&colid=2NB4E2CI1CVV9&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Well, for one thing, it's a 50A plug.....and the above plugs being discussed are all 30A 120VAC plugs.  Beyond that, there are higher quality plugs vs. some of the other brands that do not use as good a quality components in the manufacturing process.  Eaton in general isn't as good a quality as Leviton, and some of the Chinese junk I simply would not put on any cord, especially my own.  Leviton has been in business for over 100 years in the manufacture of quality electrical products.....so I'm sure they know a thing or two about how to make something that is high quality and will fit and perform exactly as it is intended to.

Leviton has a place in Dallas, wonder if they sell direct to the public.  I might like to pick one up in person.  Well I got alittle excited there for a second thinking I could support a USA MFG but their plugs are made in Mexico.  I guess they only make certain things in the USA now.

I suspect it is because that Eaton plug is for sale at only $2 below list price, no one but end consumers pay list on electrical equipment, most shops sell over the counter at around 50-60% of list.  Also it is an industrial rated plug, vs commercial, or residential.

Back
Top Bottom