Replacing seatbelts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

free2bme801

Wanting to replace seatbelts the RV we are remodeling. The seatbelt mounts are in-place but the webbing has been removed. I was thinking I could find universal seatbelts, that I could weave new webbing through the existing mounts, but I have yet to find any.
The original anchors, are attached by means of a 5/16? pop-rivet, in a difficult to access location. I could grind off the pop-rivets, and replace them with SAE grade 5 bolts, but it would be so much simpler to re-thread  webbing, Like I did in my first car that did not come with seatbelts.
Anyone had the same issue?

Try to take a rough measurement of what you may need then go to a auto salvage yard and see what they would have

free2bme801 said:
Wanting to replace seatbelts the RV we are remodeling. The seatbelt mounts are in-place but the webbing has been removed. I was thinking I could find universal seatbelts, that I could weave new webbing through the existing mounts, but I have yet to find any.
The original anchors, are attached by means of a 5/16? pop-rivet, in a difficult to access location. I could grind off the pop-rivets, and replace them with SAE grade 5 bolts, but it would be so much simpler to re-thread  webbing, Like I did in my first car that did not come with seatbelts.
Anyone had the same issue?

Please remember that seat belts are a safety item and are regulated by the DOT, you can not sew, staple or modify a seat belt or its' anchor point. You can replace the complete seat belt with a longer one but you can not modify it in any way. You could grid off the rivet and bolt the seat belt down as long as you use the original mount hole but don't use a grade 5 bolt, use a grade 8 bolt for safety reasons.

X2 As far as I know the salvage yards are not allowed to sell seat belts, there is no way to determine what stresses they have been subject to.

Agree on the grade 8 bolt, although FMVSS #209 does not specify an SAE grade, I did find this, ?Seat belt assemblies designed for installation in motor vehicles shall have 7/16-20 UNF-2A or 1/2-13 UNC-2A attachment bolts.
One listing of tensile strength for 7/16 bolts are; grade 2 5850, grade 5, 9050, and grade 8, 12800. So while grade 5 would seem adequate, the grade 8, would definitely satisfy.

After much searching online, found this solution in a local auto parts store, of all places.
Dorman 74352 Seat Belt Universal 90? (also available in 72?)
So nice to be able to replace all of my seatbelts without having to remove the existing anchors, removal of which would require significant effort.

Our new to us coach just has lap seatbelts in the drivers & passenger seat, not the ones that cross the chest.  Is there anyway to add the ones that cross the chest too?

prnebs said:
Our new to us coach just has lap seatbelts in the drivers & passenger seat, not the ones that cross the chest.  Is there anyway to add the ones that cross the chest too?

That would depend if there was a vertical post behind the head and shoulder. Also that post would have to be structurally sound and designed to become the anchor point for the belt. Without even looking at it, I?m thinking it would not be feasible.
When anchor points are designed I would think that there?s quite a bit of engineering involved along with crash studies. I would not try it.

Buy new seats with shoulder harness built in. Our 96 does not have shoulder harnesses either. Have thought about replacing seats. More for comfort than shoulder harness

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom