Replacing Slideout Rollers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoelP

I noticed today that one of 4 slide rollers supporting one of 3 rams on my superslide had split in half and was laying loose under the ram.  Since it is black I am wondering if this is hard rubber or perhaps nylon.  If one fell apart should I be worried that more of them are at end-of-life and should be replaced?  Is this easy to replace or is this a job for a shop? Is this a common part that is generally available or does this require a genuine Winnebago replacement?

I am taking my 2005 Adventurer to HWH in Moscow, IA in June as the first stop on our three month vacation trip. I took my coach to my mechanic after returning from last summer's vacation and told him I was getting strange rubbing noises on the back end of the largest slide. He looked and found those bushings you are describing were crumbling and falling apart. Most people call them nylon or Teflon, but they are actually high-density plastic. We found the bushings in the back ram are disintegrating, the front ram are cracked, and the bushings in both rams of the opposite side slide are cracking. My mechanic told me it would cost $1,800 to repair because he doesn't have the machinery needed. I emailed HWH and found they will do the job for about $335 for each slide so I made an appointment with them to take the coach for the entire day and check out the entire hydraulics system including finding out what is wrong with one jack that won't deploy. If I need new solenoids, which is probably what is wrong with the jack, they will replace them for a fraction of what my mechanic charges because there will be no markup in parts price and their labor rate is $90/hr while my mechanic charges $144.

If your system was made by HWH, I suggest you take your coach to them if you can drive it to Iowa. You can go to Winnebago, but I have heard HWH does a much better job and will educate you after the work has been completed on preventative maintenance so you won't have as many problems in the future.

I have a Fleetwood, not a Winnebago, but I had problems with one slide roller last year.  It was screwed into the floor and came loose--twice--because the particle board was so junky.  The first time the just replaced it, but the second time I insisted they screw it in through the slide.  They fastened a thin metal plate to the underside of the slide and fastened it completely through.

One warning--I would order the parts and make sure they were the right ones ahead of time.  I could not find a Fleetwood dealer or even the factory service place that had them in stock.  So, I ordered one from the factory and had it sent to my son's house, and then took it with me to the factory service repair place.  Otherwise there would have been a several day's wait to get the right roller! 

JudyJB said:
One warning--I would order the parts and make sure they were the right ones ahead of time.  I could not find a Fleetwood dealer or even the factory service place that had them in stock.  So, I ordered one from the factory and had it sent to my son's house, and then took it with me to the factory service repair place.  Otherwise there would have been a several day's wait to get the right roller!

My slideouts are by Power Gear.

I went to the  local RV service shop to buy these and to schedule service.  They are booked 8 weeks out, but I am leaving for my next trip in 2 weeks.  I decided to order them myself. To my delight I found them on Amazon and bought all of their inventory - 2 slide rollers for about $8 each which arrived yesterday. It looks to be identical to the one I am replacing.

I also decided to replace the broken roller myself.  My plan is to prop up this ram with a 2 x 4 and raise it with an air shim, or perhaps regular shims. When I see the rollers turning freely I will take out the screw and put this on.  Sure would be nice to fix this for less than $10.  I will keep the spare until I see another one give out.  If and when this happens I will resume the search for more of these.

JoelP said:
My slideouts are by Power Gear.

I went to the  local RV service shop to buy these and to schedule service.  They are booked 8 weeks out, but I am leaving for my next trip in 2 weeks.  I decided to order them myself. To my delight I found them on Amazon and bought all of their inventory - 2 slide rollers for about $8 each which arrived yesterday. It looks to be identical to the one I am replacing.

I also decided to replace the broken roller myself.  My plan is to prop up this ram with a 2 x 4 and raise it with an air shim, or perhaps regular shims. When I see the rollers turning freely I will take out the screw and put this on.  Sure would be nice to fix this for less than $10.  I will keep the spare until I see another one give out.  If and when this happens I will resume the search for more of these.

llI was able to prop the ram up with a 2x4 and shims and changed my bushing in less than 20 minutes. It is nice that this only cost me $8.xx and amazingly led to no problems. 

JoelP said:
llI was able to prop the ram up with a 2x4 and shims and changed my bushing in less than 20 minutes. It is nice that this only cost me $8.xx and amazingly led to no problems.

Congrats on a job well done...That means the money you saved can be spent on new toys ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom