Replacing spark plug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HRDWRK

Hi:
Does anybody know how often (miles and time) the spark plugs needs to be changed on Ford V10? Mine is 2016. I can't find my owner's manual and for some reason online search is not producing any results!
Thanks

Thank you.
It is interesting. All my searching come back referring about the problems and the hype around changing them. No mention about the interval.

I'd go with 100k as a rule of thumb.  As long as the engine is running properly, the plugs should stay clean (no fouling) with very little burning. The slightest bit of poor combustion, though, could easily reduce that to 75k. I don't know how susceptible the V10 is to that, or whether the 2-valve and 3-valve engines would be te same in that regard.

I guess my approach would be to pull one plug somewhere around 75K and see how things look. If still clean and unburned, I'd put it back in and wait for 100k.  If any signs at all of deterioration, I'd change them all at that time.

If the plugs are readily accessible, it would make sense to just go ahead and change them, but I've not seen a modern engine installation that didn't require a major effort to get at all the plugs. And avoid breaking anything. Pulling one of the easier ones for inspection is a compromise.

Gary, to support your comments, I recently realized that i was getting up there in milage on my Durango, so I have booked to have them replaced.  It is a 6 cylinder, so I was very surprised to be told that the time allocation is 2 and a half hours labour.  Given that estimate, I would not even try doing it myself because using Rene's time examples, it would take me a couple of months to change them.  :eek:

Ed

I have changed the plugs at 115K on one and the second at 100K just depends how it is running. Ford says 100K be perpaired to spend about $500 for the plugs and coil pack wires with labor.

I can't be sure my Buick LaCrosse FWD V6 even has spark plugs - it's a well-kept secret!  I can't see them at all from the top, nor the bottom either. The owner manual has a spark plug number in case I ever need a new one, so I assume they must be in there somewhere.

And then my truck has two spark plugs per cylinder. I did replace them once and as I recall, it was expensive.  But what isn't?

One thing to keep in mind about spark plugs is that they can grow fast over years and thread damage can occur when they are removed.  I like to change them to prevent that from happening.

On the V10, be very careful changing the plugs.
There was a thread here a while back about that. I think the final root cause was about making sure the new plugs are correctly and fully seated, or they can be blown out, ruining the threads.

99dart said:
Whaaat? They can "grow fast"?? What does that mean?

Surely you have heard of corrosion and unlike metals reacting.  Removing steel parts from aluminum after years of extreme temperature changes can be an issue, especially if one does not understand what is going on.

Some advise from a fellow ford owner, when it is time for spark plug replacement, buy only the original equipment Motorcraft plugs. These ford modular engines are very picky  on the plugs and Motorcraft will last the best.
When I did them in my 5.4, the motorcrafts were made in Japan and are good quality , word has it these are made for ford by NGK.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Gary, to support your comments, I recently realized that i was getting up there in milage on my Durango, so I have booked to have them replaced.  It is a 6 cylinder, so I was very surprised to be told that the time allocation is 2 and a half hours labour.  Given that estimate, I would not even try doing it myself because using Rene's time examples, it would take me a couple of months to change them.  :eek:

Ed

I change the plugs on my Durango and it was not fun. And, it did take a while.

I bought a 1993 Nissan Sentra from my sister with just over 100,000 miles on it.  She had never replaced the spark plugs.  When I pulled them shortly after I got the car, the electrodes were worn below the level of the ceramic insulators, giving over twice the recommended spark gap.  I'd never seen that happen.  The car wasn't running badly beforehand, but it ran much better afterwards.

TLRam1 said:
What about using thread anti-seize on the plug threads?

Simply Google "anti-seize on the plug threads" and you will see that in many cases it is NOT recommended.

Anti seize is only recommended when the plug is removed for inspection and then re-installed.  The worst thing you can do is over tighten the plugs when installing. Some recommend as little as 10-12 ft/lbs. But do use a thin coating of dielectric grease on the top of the plug before installing the spark plug wires. It is best to install high quality plug wires at the same time even if they look ok. They probably don't last as long as the spark plugs in this day and age.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom