Reputable Motor Home Dealers in the St Louis Area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mississippiriverguy

We are just now investigating the purchase of a used motor home. We plan to spend no more than $30,000. We want a Class C that sleeps at least 4. We would like to find a honest dealer in the St Louis area. Or would we be better off from a private seller? TIA
David

Welcome to the forum.

In my opinion, you can find a better deal with a private seller. But, of course, you need to do your due diligence and get it inspect it first. Also, look at your needs and wants in terms of layout and function. Class C motorhomes are mechanically easier to take care, compared to class A, but they are heavy for their frame and their cargo carrying capacity is rather limited.

Welcome to the forum.

In my opinion, you can find a better deal with a private seller. But, of course, you need to do your due diligence and get it inspect it first. Also, look at your needs and wants in terms of layout and function. Class C motorhomes are mechanically easier to take care, compared to class A, but they are heavy for their frame and their cargo carrying capacity is rather limited.
Thanks for your response. We considered a Class B since it is just the two of us, but the very small bathrooms are a serious concern. What do you own?

It's a class A. 1999 Georgie Boy. 34ft, no slides. What I like the most is that it feels roomier inside and driving it is easier because of the higher vantage point, from the driver's perspective, compared to a class C.

We are four in the family as well, so the sofa has to be used in bed configuration. That's one advantage of a class C. The bunk bed in the front is very convenient. Not many Class As have bunk beds.

Yes, there's a classified ad section in the forum :

The lack of used inventory could be a combination of timing (many people want RVs due to Covid19 travel restrictions) and also location. It's not unusual for people to travel quite long distances in order to get the RV they want.

I'm all for the private seller, they don't have middle men to pay. I would include Facebook marketplace and Craigslist as options, but as mentioned, due your due diligence. Often you get a good gut feel of the person selling during the first meeting. You can have most any shop check over the mechanicals with a Class C, and you want to inspect for any type of water leaks current or past. Don't think buying from a dealer has any advantages, and as a general rule, stay way away from any Camping World operation. Some are decent, most are high pressure finance factories.

Yes, there's a classified ad section in the forum :

The lack of used inventory could be a combination of timing (many people want RVs due to Covid19 travel restrictions) and also location. It's not unusual for people to travel quite long distances in order to get the RV they want.
Thanks for the info.

I was nearly scammed on Facebook over an overly attractive Class C Winnebago. It supposedly was also listed on eBay with a fake link. Fortunately, I called eBay and discovered that the invoice number was fake and escaped being scammed. As the saying goes, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

I was nearly scammed on Facebook over an overly attractive Class C Winnebago. It supposedly was also listed on eBay with a fake link. Fortunately, I called eBay and discovered that the invoice number was fake and escaped being scammed. As the saying goes, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
Yup. Tons of scammers in FB, Craigslist and such. It pays off to be alert.

We considered a Class B since it is just the two of us, but the very small bathrooms are a serious concern.
Same here. I really like the Oliver pull behind, but the bathroom is a non starter for my wife

We are most interested in the

Thor CHATEAU 28A & Thor FOUR WINDS 28A​

I really want smaller, but the other turnoff for my wife is access to the bed. She wants a walk around bed, and I don't want slides

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom