reroofing a RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gene so

Hello, first time on this site:
With an offroad teardrop nearly complete, I have received a 24 foot camper, which has sat here some years. It only has 60,000 miles and the former owner was a mechanic so its adequately animal proof, which is an absolute necessity here in the Rockies at 6,500 feet. I have all documentation.
The bed area over the driver needs to be rebuilt, also the roof over the shower. I look forward to remodeling the bed area and make it stronger, stiffer and as waterproof as it was from the factory. The roof needs to be redone and I want to do it as good as possible because mechanically this RV is very good.
If there are sources for redoing the roof so its waterproof. I would like to know about them i specific detail. Besides everything you know about a normal RV roof there is a system of solar panels up there. Is there anything special I should know about repairing the roof and wall areas around a shower?
I would appreciate any and all information about doing this challenge right the first time! The sun here at 6,500 feet is quite intense, and living on the high desert would seem that the rainproof feature is less important. It is not! Our monsoon season is fast approaching and I shall tarp the areas which need protection, but I would like to start assembling the plans and materials so when I get started on this challenge things get accomplished with some efficiency.

Thank you in advance,

Gene So

Welcome to the Forum. What do you mean by having to redo the roof? Do you mean the inside or seal up the outside roof? Is there water damage from roof leaks?

Hello:
Specifically, I have to rebuild portions of the structure of the drivers' overhang for the front bed. I note its obvious the present area over the shower leaks and only when I get into repairing that area will I know how extensive it is. I have been on top amongst the solar panels and can see obviously whatever fabric covering was used is now cracked significantly. Obviously here on the high desert we don't receive that much moisture. But our "monsoon" season is coming starting in late June and I plan to get inside during any rain and locate any leaks and hopefully assess properly the damage to the shower area. The original owner, now deceased, had several special items retrofit at the factory. Apparently you press a button and the whole unit levels itself. I was told units this small do not normally have this feature. Aside from being a mess inside, everything looks to be in very good condition since the unit was basically used to move here from California and has largely sat for many years, but the RV was thoroughly vermin proofed. I can see it will need new tires, due to weather cracking.

Gene So

You can buy all necessary material from Dicor among other places. Its relatively easy to do with help from a couple of friends.

Search YouTube, there are a bunch of videos showing how to take the AC unit(s) off and peal the old roof off, you may need to replace plywood and/or framing under them and then put it all back. It's not rocket science.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom