Reservation rule that should be enacted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SRGuy

OK, this should be interesting.

Year, after year, after year, I dutifully write the powers that be about the following proposal, which has come out of my absolute frustration with trying to get reservations at "No sites available" State and Federal parks.

Unlike some/most, I sometimes go to parks that are "full," after the gate offices close. I park in outside overflow, if available, sometimes, or down the road. I usually find a way to safely hike in, just to see the "packed" sites. Yes, I've been stopped a few times by cruising Park Rangers. I simply say that I was hiking, and got turned around. I've never been hassled. Once, I was driven to the gate, and wished well.

Anyway....I know from experience, as above, that most of the "No Sites Available" parks are, quite often, half empty! It's maddening!

With that in mind, I write to State and Federal offices proposing that the following rule should be enacted:

"If you have a paid in full reservation for a given site, BUT you are not in that site by 7PM on your reserved night, you will forfeit that site and not be refunded your charge for that night. Should you show up late, even into the next day, as long as you arrive before 7PM, your other reserved nights will be safe, but you may have to stay at a different site if the person on your site has paid to stay several nights."

Listen, I'm not new to this scene. I know things happen, on the road. Still, it's not fair for those of us who can make it to a given park, ready to pay for a site, early in the day, to be told nothing is available, when the staff knows, full well, that they'll have empty sites, that night, and every other night, usually. I know, they don't care. Less work for them. Still, I care.

The way I'd handle my system is to have a "stand-by" line of those wanting a site, after 7PM. I believe it would work, provided some staff is willing to work the line of waiting folks.

Any thoughts on this? I know it may strike some as unworkable. Still, there should be some way to fill up those empty sites with those who want them.

I have been camping all my life including 10 years of full timing and I have never seen full parks that were half empty parks. Makes no sense to me.

8 years since I have been on the road but I have lived in an RV park the entire time. Nothing has changed. There are always spaces open in this park.

I think you have the right idea, the problem is there is no real penalty to making reservations as many of these systems operate now. As a result people make reservations they never intended to keep. Don't know what the weather will be doing on your vacation week, no problem make reservations for 2 or 3 possible trips all in different directions, and go which way the weather looks best at the last minute, abandoning the other sets of reservations, and paying only for the first missed night, ...

"If you have a paid in full reservation for a given site, BUT you are not in that site by 7PM on your reserved night, you will forfeit that site and not be refunded your charge for that night.
If I paid for that site that night, it's mine. Does not matter if I sit on it or not, I own that spot for the night.

It's not complicated.

Well, I'm pretty new to the RV travel scene - 5 years. I have never made a reservation more than 12-24 hours in advance. I have never been without a site. I just don't take part in all the hoopla of busy national/state park campgropunds that operate the way you describe. There are plenty of them do accept last minute dive ups.
Good luck with your plea to the government controled facilities. I know that if I paid for a site, I would expect it to be there, empty, when or if I arrived. I would expect most folks would feel the same way.

Uh, as I wrote......
Let me guess, you think the campground should get my money for the campsite, and then take your money for the campsite too if I don't get there by 7pm?

I need to buy a campground and play that game.

While the frustration (as an RVer wanting a spot) is understandable, the state/federal parks have little incentive to spend extra money and resources devoting staff to enforce a no-show policy. They have already taken as many actual people out of the loop as possible, by turning over reservations to third-party online sites in most public parks.

Plus, can you imagine the disputes that would occur if a park gave away someone's paid site at 7pm (or whatever time), and then the original booker showed up 15-30 minutes later, 500 miles from home, packed rig and family in tow, after having dealt with some emergency or unplanned delay during their trip? The bad press and complaints would be worthwhile for the parks or staff to deal with.

I really do understand both sides, but it seems that paid reservations (whether sites are occupied or not) will likely continue to trump the chances of walk-in business to fill a park.

Perhaps something as simple as a call ahead within 48 hours of reservation rule if the person with the reservation is not going to arrive by 6 pm on the day of booking. Better yet automate it with a confirmation text message requirement.

One problem that needs to be addresses is large RV sales lots are buying up blocks of prime sites,, as a cost of doing business,, to reward folks that buy from them.. The reservation fee is a non issue to them over time,, and the response from buyers is positive..>>>Dan

Perhaps something as simple as a call ahead within 48 hours of reservation rule if the person with the reservation is not going to arrive by 6 pm on the day of booking. Better yet automate it with a confirmation text message requirement.
That would sometimes be a problem for me as we don't always get cell service.

It's a tough thing to manage. I just wish all campgrounds had a percentage of walk ins available.

I have been in several State, County, City, and some Federal campgrounds that flag available sites with tags that say "This site available for one night". That way drive ups can find a site and then go to the office the next morning if they want to stay longer.

However, giving away a prepaid reserved site, regardless of the time lapse would be chaos. I could see brawl's breaking out in that scenario.

I agree, but something needs to be done about all these tricks people are pulling to get a site, such as reserving sites on week nights in order to get weekend bookings with no intention of arriving for the first night reservation, ...

Here's what the NY State park system says about no-shows in their cancellation policy. Bolding added...

Cancellations
If you cancel your reservation you will be assessed the following fees. It's important to know the closer to your arrival date you cancel, the less money you will receive back as a refund.
  • Cancelling 8 days or more prior to arrival - $7.25 Reservation Fee + $7.25 Cancellation Fee
  • Cancelling 7 days or less prior to arrival - $7.25 Reservation Fee + $7.25 Cancellation Fee + the cost of the first night' s stay (this amount varies based on the cost of your site).
  • All fees are retained if you fail to arrive and do not inform the park of a cancellation in advance.

Back
Top Bottom