Residential refrigerator installation, Cost, Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary RV_Wizard said:
Used RV fridges are in demand, but connecting with a potential buyer in your local area is difficult, making a sale unlikely.  And it has to be local pick-up, cause packing & shipping is too difficult and expensive.  You might try Craigslist.

I removed a working Norcold 1200, of which there are many in the RV world.  I thought sure someone would want at least parts of it, e.g. the glass shelves, door hinges and latches, control boards, etc.  NADA. The only interest came from remote locations and it was neither economic nor practical to get the parts to them.  They seemed to expect that I would disassemble, pack & ship and they would pay only $5- $10 to cover costs. I wasn't looking to make a profit, but even the main control board cost more than that to ship and my level of effort was well beyond trivial.  I ended up sending the board to a good friend who might need one some day and didn't charge him anything. I kept the smaller parts for a year but ended up throwing them away.

I was real lucky. Had mine on CL and within 5 days I had a buyer. He was going to put it in a boat.

UPDATE: Removed my Norcold refrigerator and sold with-in 2 days, got $450 and they were happy to get it. Installed a Magic Chief 10.1 cf in the same location with no modification required also installed a AIMS 1200 watt inverter and all works better than I had hoped. I just need to do some trim work around the top and bottom and the project will be complete.

sc4668 said:
IBTripping do you know the manufacturer and part number of the inverter you installed?

I purchased the AIMS 1200 watt pure sine inverter with auto-transfer switch based on Gary's recommendation. Sorry it took me so long to reply. But, looks like you've got it covered.

Do they make a way to blank off the outside vent, so that we keep the bugs/weather out, but still maintain the ability to access the currently installed household refrigerator?

I replaced a two door Norcold with a three drawer (french drawer) Samsung at about $1,500 and $400 to install. Didn't bother to connect the inverter as I always run the generator and ac when I'm not hooked up.
Most counter depth refrigerators will fit through the door if its doors are removed.

Ernie

See my description of the install elsewhere here.

Do they make a way to blank off the outside vent, so that we keep the bugs/weather out, but still maintain the ability to access the currently installed household refrigerator?
It's strictly a DIY thing, with no standardized parts to do that. I taped the sidewall vent with Eternabond to close the holes, and also screwed a removable wood insert into the wall opening behind it. The roof vent I permanently closed off but left the plastic cover in place for cosmetics.

When I purchased my fridge, I made sure the condenser was along the back wall of the fridge. I did this because I was then able to insulate all around the fridge box especially the bottom of the fridge to keep bugs out. Then I left the access doors the way they were designed so that heat from the condenser would rise and go out the top vent.
If your fridge has the condenser under the fridge, you can’t insulate the bottom at all because it needs air from the back of the fridge and this air flows over the coil to remove the hot air and guess where that hot air goes? Right inside your RV.

I am replacing the refrigerator because I want frozen ice cream and a larger capacity refrigerator.
Perhaps you might consider this... Dometic Dual-Zone

Not only would you increase capacity, you would also have a reliable freezer and fridge combination, or dual fridge, or dual freezer... it's a lot less expense, work, effort, time out of use, and more...

Perhaps you might consider this... Dometic Dual-Zone

Not only would you increase capacity, you would also have a reliable freezer and fridge combination, or dual fridge, or dual freezer... it's a lot less expense, work, effort, time out of use, and more...
That would not be too convenient at all. Maybe as an additional system if you need something.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom