Retired and Ready

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PawpawJeff

Just retired and looking to buy a new 5th wheel.  We have lots of Grandkids and one Great Grandchild.  Plan to spend a fair amount of quality time in the camper with the grands.  Looking forwards to learning a lot from you folks here.  Any recommendations for a current how-to book for new 5th wheel owners?  I?m only seeing books that are several years old.

Thanks,
PawpawJeff

Welcome to the forum. Much of what a new RVer needs to learn applies to fifth wheel trailers, travel trailers and motor homes. I suggest you check out the articles in the forum Library. There is a "Library" link near the top of the page. It includes articles on batteries, waste tanks, RV wiring, winterizing, etc.

Fifth wheels trailers are heavy and almost all cannot be towed with a half ton pickup. Some require a 3/4 ton pickup and others require a 1 ton pickup. This is because 20% of a fifth wheel rests on the rear axle of the pickup. So, a 10,000 lb fifth wheel will add a ton of weight to the rear axle of a pickup. Some fifth wheels require the pickup have dual rear axles (dually).

I hope this helps.

Thanks to all of yall for responding.  I have never owned or used an RV before. My wife had a pop-up trailer and also tent camped years ago.  We have several friends that have either a Motorhome or 5th wheels.  We will be picking their brain in addition to learning from the forum. I?ll take a look in the library as suggested as well.  We are in Louisiana and will likely do most of our camping in the South, relatively close to home,  This will allow me to gain proficiency on the camper use and share our time with all of the grandkids.  We have 13 grands and 1 great-great.

We fulltimed in a 5th wheel many years ago. When we were looking at models my wife?s main concern was floor plan. She got a floor plan she liked and loved living in the RV for more than 5 years. Fast forward to this past weekend. We spent some time at an RV show and could not find one 5th wheel floor plan we liked. But the thing we noticed the most was the shoddy workmanship. Most of the units were falling apart sitting in the mall parking lot.

Look at a lot of trailers and choose the size & layout that makes the wife happiest. It's probably going to be larger and heavier than you ever imagined. You are also going to need a bigger (and more expensive) truck that you likely imagined. Don't skimp on either one.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Look at a lot of trailers and choose the size & layout that makes the wife happiest. It's probably going to be larger and heavier than you ever imagined. You are also going to need a bigger (and more expensive) truck that you likely imagined. Don't skimp on either one.

Gary is spot on. Budget at least $100,000 for truck/RV combo.

Thanks guys. I just bought a 2019 F-250 4WD Diesel with the off-road package and tow camera. I?ll certainly be getting a fifth wheel that it can manage. Although it is tempting to get one of the fancier models, we will stay somewhat conservative. We have seen several floor plans that we like.

I suggest you start out with a used model. 3-5 years old.  It will cost a bunch less, have the bugs worked out, and chances of you finding the 'perfect model' is not likely on the first try.  Are you sure you know what you are getting yourself into with that many grandkids  ;D ;D ;D

I certainly agree with buying used. Let the original owner take the big depreciation hit. Plus... you will learn a lot during your first years camping. What you want, what you ?must? have, what you don?t need, and preferred floor plans. Once you?ve established all of this.....buy used again! Unless of course winning the lottery came with your retirement!  Good Luck and enjoy your retirement!    :))

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The advice is usually find the 5th wheel first then get the truck that can safely tow it. 

You are in for some fantastic times with those grandkids when you get out camping, they will love it!

Oldgator73 said:
We fulltimed in a 5th wheel many years ago. When we were looking at models my wife?s main concern was floor plan. She got a floor plan she liked and loved living in the RV for more than 5 years. Fast forward to this past weekend. We spent some time at an RV show and could not find one 5th wheel floor plan we liked. But the thing we noticed the most was the shoddy workmanship. Most of the units were falling apart sitting in the mall parking lot.

Well....they did have to transport them to the lot!  Gives a realistic meaning to the term...?shake down cruise?! 

Memtb, we live between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. I settled here after my 6 years in the Navy.

Is it best to buy used campers from a dealer?  Do you find they offer any warranties with them?

My opinion is that it doesn't make much difference buying from a dealer or private individual. What's important is to carefully inspect any fifth wheel before buying. Water destroys RVs. So, inspect carefully for any water damage. Below are some links on inspecting a used RV. Don't let them scare you. There are a lot of perfectly good used RVs for sale. I purchased one that was over 20 years old. However, a 3-5 year old RV is less likely to have any water leaks if it has been properly cared for. You just need to inspect before buying.

Also, if you find one you like, post the year, make,model and other info so the experts on the forum can give you an opinion on that particular brand and model.

The Library has this brief buying guide: http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/38-buying-an-rv/428-buying-used-trailer-or-fiver

Here are some Youtube videos on inspecting for water damage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUue4DTH6gU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlJc6CqwGsQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgdh5i9KT4E

Back
Top Bottom