Returning camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvinciguerra

Hello,

I apologize if this is covered somewhere in the forum, I did a bit of searching and couldn’t find it.

I am a former camper, looking to return back to it. I live on the east coast (eastern PA). About 22 years ago my wife and I bought a camper. For 10 years we camped pretty regularly. We took the kids up and down the east coast ( many vacations as well as weekend getaways). As happens the kids got older and we stopped camping and we rid of our camper.
well as we approach retirement we would like to start up again (albeit slightly differently).
we went to the RV show in Hershey this past weekend with some friends who are actively looking for a camper.
I was very surprised at the change in campers today vs what we had in our 2000 model (Obviously some things remained the same).
Upon my return I specifically searched out a forums page looking for a bit of advice. I had a travel trailer (31’ StarCraft w/a Slide). As I look to get back into I have been primarily focused on 5th wheel trailers. I was wondering if I could get some insight from folks on the differences between the two.
i would like to hear from people who have experience with both. Are 5th wheel trailers truly easier to tow? Is the loss of the bed impactful? Are there other less obvious factors that I should consider?

My intention is to use the camper as I ret to go on some longer vacations Where I can spen more time exploring areas and having more of a home base than a hotel could offer. It would primarily be my wife and I with occasionally bringing some guest, granddaughter mostly.
glad to be part of this forum and I am looking forward to learning from your advice.

Tulecreeper

Hello,

I apologize if this is covered somewhere in the forum, I did a bit of searching and couldn’t find it.

I am a former camper, looking to return back to it. I live on the east coast (eastern PA). About 22 years ago my wife and I bought a camper. For 10 years we camped pretty regularly. We took the kids up and down the east coast ( many vacations as well as weekend getaways). As happens the kids got older and we stopped camping and we rid of our camper.
well as we approach retirement we would like to start up again (albeit slightly differently).
we went to the RV show in Hershey this past weekend with some friends who are actively looking for a camper.
I was very surprised at the change in campers today vs what we had in our 2000 model (Obviously some things remained the same).
Upon my return I specifically searched out a forums page looking for a bit of advice. I had a travel trailer (31’ StarCraft w/a Slide). As I look to get back into I have been primarily focused on 5th wheel trailers. I was wondering if I could get some insight from folks on the differences between the two.
i would like to hear from people who have experience with both. Are 5th wheel trailers truly easier to tow? Is the loss of the bed impactful? Are there other less obvious factors that I should consider?

My intention is to use the camper as I ret to go on some longer vacations Where I can spen more time exploring areas and having more of a home base than a hotel could offer. It would primarily be my wife and I with occasionally bringing some guest, granddaughter mostly.
glad to be part of this forum and I am looking forward to learning from your advice.
First of all, welcome to the forum!

I've never owned a 5th-wheel (5er), but I did full-time in a motorhome (MH) and a travel trailer (TT). You will find that 5ers have noticeably more room than an equivalent length TT. More cabinet space, roomier overhead, more amenities, that kind of thing. As for ease of towing, 5ers usually have less issue with sway than a TT because the hitch is much closer to the tow vehicle (TV) center of gravity bringing the 5er's axles closer to the TV axles. This also means you won't need a weight distribution hitch (WDH) with a 5er. That being said, 5ers usually weight noticeably more than an equivalent length TT. And cost noticeably more.

Even though I don't own a 5er, I have towed pretty much every type of trailer under the sun in my life, having had a CDL for 30 years before I retired. I found that backing a pull-behind TT is much easier and more maneuverable than a 5er/gooseneck-type trailer connection. But others have found just the opposite.

Hang in there, there will be a lot more advice coming for your questions.

dvinciguerra

First off, thank you for your service. I appreciate the reply. The additional room is the primary reason that I am considering a 5er. I am surprised to hear that you found the tot easier to back in than a 5er. I was expecting the opposit, as you mentioned I am sure I will get both sides of that. Would love to hear particulars.
thanks again

Top Bottom