Reverse Osmosis filter danger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredethomas

Moderator Emeritus
First - This is from a newspaper article in the Sierra Vista Herald.  I am making no judgement - don't know how accurate it is.  Please don't shoot the messanger!

"Traditional purifiers using  the reverse osmosis process remove beneficial minerals along with other dissolved solids from the water which results in a dramatic pH reduction that has been linked to health issues such as calcium loss, kidney stones and osteoporosis."

fredethomas said:
"Traditional purifiers using  the reverse osmosis process remove beneficial minerals along with other dissolved solids from the water which results in a dramatic pH reduction that has been linked to health issues such as calcium loss, kidney stones and osteoporosis."

Well, this statement can be broken into two parts.

1:Traditioal water purifiers ...... benefical minerals...

Based on my study of chemistry and science, this is a 100% ture statement. These filters are supposed to pass ONLY pure water, distilled water.. In fact it is also refered to as "membrane distalation"

and 2: "Which results.... Osteoporosis"

Since I've not seen a study, I can't comment but it may well be worthy of investigation

fredethomas said:
First - This is from a newspaper article in the Sierra Vista Herald.  I am making no judgement - don't know how accurate it is.  Please don't shoot the messanger!

I wouldn't even consider this to be of any concern at all. First, when you reduce the TDS (total dissolved solids) in a water, as an RO does, you do not drastically reduce the pH. The pH reduction which was reported is most likely do to improper handling of the water sample during testing. When the TDS of the water is reduced, it becomes essentially an unbuffered solution. As such, it very susceptible  large pH swings when a little bit of acidity is added. In this case once the RO water is sampled, it IMMEDIATELY starts to adsorb carbon dioxide from the air, which immediately forms carbonic acid. Iin an unbuffered water this can depress the pH to less than 5--just like Club Soda. (Can't remember exactly how low CO2 can depress the pH, but is quit a bit, 4.3 seems to come to mind.) If it is tested in a TOTALLY closed system without any exposure to the air, immediately after passing through the RO, the pH will be around 6.8.

The amount of minerals removed from drinking water by an RO is insignificant when you consider the amount of the same minerals that are normally ingested in food during the day.

I'd not give it another though--says I--as I'm just now taking a drink from my glass of RO watter.

Are you aware that most of the "bottled water" sold by the companies such as Coke, is  local water, run through an RO and carbon filter, to produce a constant "perceived taste" across the entire country?

Chet18013

You would have the same risk from drinking distilled water. ?If someone is depending on their water for their daily mineral requirements, they should see a doctor.

Thanks for the explanation Chet.  Like Jim G I was waiting for your comment.  Guess that newspaper will have to figure out some other rumor.

We are enjoying our ice tea made with that RO water.

I will add to my earlier comment now that some of you have weighed in

I said that RO filters do indeed remove beneficial minerals (Which they do)  They also remove harmful ones, giving you very pure water

I said that I did not know how serious this was "health threat" wise, And now I think I'm starting to figure it out.

Does it remove beneficial minerals (YES) is it a health threat (NO) should we worry about them (NO)  should we use RO filters? Depends... Personally. I looked at them, looked long and hard. and I decided that the cost was excessive for the benefit promised, at least everywhere I've watered up....

I do use a filter, a fairly good ceramic/carbon filter, and I may add additional filtering (same kind only better) inside, but I did not feel the R/O filters were worth it

Are you aware that most of the "bottled water" sold by the companies such as Coke, is  local water, run through an RO and carbon filter, to produce a constant "perceived taste" across the entire country?

That true, but they also re-introduce several minerals to return the "spring water" taste. The particular blend is a trade secret (just like sodas) and is consistent in all bottling plants across the country/world for that brand of designer water.

Interesting sidebar:
I have an acquaintance who operates a Pepsi bottled water (Aquafina) plant in NY state.  They have access to a large and fine natural spring but decided to use the local city water instead, so that the city rather than they would be responsible for the purity of the base water supply. Then they filter out whatever the city has left in, especially the chlorine, and remix according to the secret formula to make it "Aquafina" brand water. Since they were going to filter the water to a neutral state and re-blend it anyway, there was no advantage to using the natural Adirondack spring water they already had.

They can bottle and sell the spring water as is for more profits :)

Back
Top Bottom