Revisiting Full Classic Rock Albums from the 60s and 70s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice to see somebody besides me knows King Crimson.
I use to love Van Halen(Not Van Hagar!), however they were the worst concert I ever attended. DLR was so wasted he forgot a lot of the words and the crowd was way unruly.
My all time top 2 concerts were Pink Floyd and The Who.

Wally,

I bought some nose bleed seats at the Top of At&T center, the Geriatric Tour I think with Kool and the Gang Opening the show, I kid you not. It was an eclectic mix.

I know Kool and the Gang did have some hits thought, I just can't recite them without research.

Not a huge fan of the entire show "Different Kind of Truth Tour", as we departed early.

Just like in my youth, I had to get the obligatory T-Shirt. All of the ones back in the day became oil Field Wardrobe material. "Greasers" coveralls, as we referred to our Disposable Rig Wear back then.

Anyway that 4th time I saw them was the original Line up had Michael Anthony Replaced with Eddie's Son, Wolfie on Bass. I remember it was hot and very hot way up there in the AT&T in IH 35 in San Antonio. David's Voice was SHOT. Our night was a Terrible performance.

No Replacing their Very First Appearance at the Cotton Bowl in July 1978. They Set the Stadium into Nuclear Melt Down Frenzy Mode.

I know the energy of 100,000, and it is off the charts Wild!

JD

Attachments

• Van Halen Final Act.jpg
    Van Halen Final Act.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
To be honest once I saw that David Gilmore Link that Wally posted I wanted to immediately Click on it, I love The Floyd and all their Stuff, most of it I should say.

The Initial Stuff with Syd some of it is just too out there for me to Enjoy, but some of the most Long Lasting, Timeless Music of the 1900s - 2000s for sure.

JD, if you still do concerts, and you get the chance, check out Brit Floyd. They are about the best PF tribute band I've seen(and I've seen several). I see they have 3 tour dates in TX this year. Sugarland, Austin and Grand Prairie(all in June). I've seen them twice when they were in Little Rock, and it's just about like being at the real thing.

Ola Bienkowska totlaly nails Clare Torry's part in Great Gig in the Sky:

When we saw VH, the opening band was called The Fabulous Poodles. They were sort of Devoe-ish(minus the hats). At the end of their set the singer sailed a copy of their album out into the crowd as a gift. Somebody sailed it back to them.

Ed, I was there didn't you see me? Right at the Front in the sardine can, Mosh Pit, in the Mix, or what ever it was called. We camped out the First three shows, in line and were some of the first people inside once they opened the gates.

I remember year one, Day 2 Willie Nelson was headlining that event. We were limping back to San Angelo, in Sam's Mother's Station Wagon, Big old Battle cruiser of a Vehicle don't remember alot of the drive home.

Year 1, 1978 (I went to Texas Jams- 1,2,3 and Year 86). Fair Park, the property the Cotton Bowl Sits on, was open and alot of Circus and Fair type activity there prior to the events kicking off, Battle of the Bands, and the Winner got to Kick off the show as the opening group.

Year 1 they ran Rain gutter and 1" PVC pipe around the 4 ft concrete wall with holes for water. They had a huge metal water tank at the other end of the football field as the water source it was circulating from. That PVC at about waist high that ran around the perimeter of the football field flowing back into the rain gutter. People climbing down onto the floor stepped on and broke the PVC and water was pumped into the floor of the Cotton bowl for hours. We were standing in 6" of water and once the sun came out...it was brutally hot and you were getting baked.

That first year they did not have the Speaker poles approx 5 on each side of the field Greased (Following years Axle Grease Smeared on those poles so people would not climb. 1st year people climbed them and sat on the speakers on the poles about 30 ft above the crowd on the floor. I saw a guy almost fall when the speaker hinge folded from his weight sitting on it. Crazy times.

12 bucks... I think I paid for that ticket. I found this photo of the crowd by Vernon Gowdy, famed Rock Photographer. I found myself in the crowd and had a poster blown up and keep it on my wall.

I will say in 78, when Edward Van Halen Plugged in and set the Cotton Bowl on Fire before lunch time, I have never been in a more electrically charged situation in my life. Skin Crawling When they Played the Entire First Album. Nothing beats the Frenzy of 100,000 chanting the Corus and raising those youthful Fists in the Air in unison.

Photographer had the flawed view as he was snapping pics from the side of the stage. I am in Front. My Mother Saw me on CBS news Walter Cronkite getting sprayed with the fire hoses. Called my Sister in Ft Worth. Me and my friends were at her house when the phone rang. I was not suppose to be there. Anyway. Save that story for never. LOL

JD

Oh, hey JD, I think I DO remember you! Hah...nah, I was way up in the nosebleed seats somewhere. I still have my ticket stub somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up. I paid $15.00. For seven bands! Top billed rock and roll bands. You sure won't see anything like that these days. Anyway, great stories, and great memories.

Hey JD, I went to Texxas Jam in '79. UFO, Sammy Hagar, TKO, Van Halen (Van Halen was THE hot group then...just after the release of their second album), Heart, Blue Oyster Cult (and I think I'm missing one). Awesome weekend. What I can remember of it. I caught the tail end of the Hippie years, then joined the Air Force in 1980. I've been waiting (for a girl like you) by Foreigner became "our" song for me and my wife when I met her back in 1982. Anyway, here's one I have always liked and I think was always so underrated, but really good stuff.

I went to a festival here in Denver the same year it was Heart, Ted Nugent, UFO , The Cars

My recent discussion WRT lithium battery waste, here and in the electric motorcycle forum , made me think of this 60's classic. Especially the words "He's taken everything this old Earth can give. And he ain't put back nothing." -Nothing but a lot of lithium battery waste!

Pink Floyd had such high and low note ranges music stores used them to demonstrate high end speakers like Bose. The very end of ELP's Lucky Man was another song to test your setup. Most people never knew those low notes were there which would shake the dust off the ceiling and vibrate every bone in your body.

Last edited:
JD, if you still do concerts, and you get the chance, check out Brit Floyd. They are about the best PF tribute band I've seen(and I've seen several). I see they have 3 tour dates in TX this year. Sugarland, Austin and Grand Prairie(all in June). I've seen them twice when they were in Little Rock, and it's just about like being at the real thing.

Ola Bienkowska totlaly nails Clare Torry's part in Great Gig in the Sky:

Wally,

Not bad if you close your eyes. I saw a Pink Floyd Laser Light show at the Planetarium in Fort Worth back in the 70s, The Wall was super popular at the time. I think the Wall charted on the Top 200 bill board for a decade +.

I moved to Ft Worth when I was 16. Ah the memories of the lawn Chair and cock roaches in my living Room at my apartments. The Lack of Joy x10. I remember it very well. Gets one ready for the challenges life throws your way.

Looks like that cover band is prolly the nearest thing to The Real Pink Floyd that people are going to see in their life times.

I guess they say, never say never, as they got back for some fund raiser I think in the 2000s somewhere and did a few songs. AC DC , Foreginer are just Cover bands to me. I saw the original line ups and when those shows came to town I passed, and just could not get excited to throw 100s of bucks to go see them.

Roger Waters came to San Antonio a few years. I was contemplating going and I read the show review in the paper and of course it took a political spin and got some mixed reviews.

Concerts were once affordable. I have paid $300ish per Tickets to Bon Jovi and Aerosmith, Motely Crue shows in the 2010s. At the AT&T center. San Antonio, it was $20 just to park. I got in to the first three Jams for under $20 per tix for a all day and into into the night concert. I think the Bon Jovi was the most Expensive Tickets, Maybe Billy Joel I have ever paid. I was 3 rows from the Top at AT&T and I paid $185 a ticket for the Billy Joel Show.

I had read somewhere that the ZZ amd the Stones Outdoor Show down in Austin, TX at Memorial Stadium (Texas Long Horns) trashed the entire football field, which they had to resod. This was the beginning of the end for those outdoor shows.

It got hard for the music Promoters to secure insurance for those venues for all the willful destruction taking place, and that was one of the main reason for stopping those stadium events. They had around 10 years of Texas Jams in the Cotton Bowl and similar shows at the Astrodome in Houston, before they pulled those Annual Cotton Bowl Shows.

I stated earlier I was enjoying some random Country music. Here is a 2 hour Loop of various country songs I have been wearing out on my playlists.

Last edited:

One of my Favorite Offerings from AC/DC, 1975, High Voltage, Full Album link above.

RIP Bon Scott, 41 years last week. I had the Great Pleasure seeing, Highway to Hell Tour in 1979, Midland Texas, just a few month's prior to Bon Scott's death in Europe.

John

2:42 in.
"But the humans will give no love."

There's a lot of people that love and protect. I consider myself one of them. This is a really good video clip.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Eagles. The audio is a little muddy but I like watching it.

Tom,

I saw the Eagles at the Cotton Bowl Texas Jam. In between groups it could be up to a couple hours, so standing their baking was your only option. For their appearance a Helicopter was approching from the distance. It was hovering over the cotton bowl at the rear of the outdoor arena.

Here it come down into the Cotton Bowl and I am thinking Really? As it was lowering down into the upper rows of the stadium it stopped. Turned and bee Lined out. We turned around and looked at the stage, and the Eagles Started to Play. Hotel California Tour. I was there. I got the T-Shirt and I ruined it wearing it at the Drilling Rig. That T-shirt became Oil Field Trash, just like everything that goes out there. People Included.

The Eagles came to San Antonio with Glenn Frey shortly before his death. I passed on that concert. Wish I would have gone to it now. I did see ACDC "Highway to Hell" Tour a Few months before Bon Scott's Passing. I also saw a Aerosmith show in 2009 at the Woodlands in North Houston. Their next gig was the Buffalo Chip at Rushmore where Steven Tyler Fell off the stage and broke his shoulder. I thought I had seen the last show of Aerosmith at that time. Proved to be false as I saw Aerosmith again a few years later in Dallas TX, Music from Another Dimension, Tour. Aerosmith tix, 300 bucks a ticket first row of balcony.

JD

Wally - You are listening to the wrong version of CN. PULSE has the ultimate version. I have only watched this about a thousand times.

I bet the people sitting under the unfolding disco ball must have been pooping their pants.
Tom,

I use to live in Napoli Italy when stationed there with the US Army. For those who have never been to Pompeii Volcano Area in South of Naples you could walk hours lost in the maze of streets of Pompei. We passed on a tour guide thinking it was a scam. After a hour or so wondering aimlessly I was thinking, hum that guide may have been a good idea.

I know Pink Floyd played the outdoor amphitheater at Pompeii. After seeing that place in person, It must have been a great show to attend. An experience to never forget. I real Trip I'll bet.

This band, "Pink Floyd" will be listened to up until the last day, I refer to the day when Mankind wipes itself off the face of the earth doing idiotic stuff.

I am a huge David Gilmore Fan!

JD

Last edited:
When I was a kid I saw Gloria Estefan sing. She has class, smart, talent, beautiful.

I needed a bigger motorcycle back then. LOL

Back
Top Bottom