Revisiting Full Classic Rock Albums from the 60s and 70s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice version. Not many people know this but the version of 'The Sound of Silence' that was a big hit in 1965/66 was the second version of the song. The original version had no bass, drums or electric guitar. This version was released in 1964 and did not chart. It was remixed to add the bass, drums and guitar and it was a smash. I can't imagine how S&G felt with their version being bastardized, but it was a hit and put them on the map. If you listen to this with your head in between the two speakers you will hear Artie in the right speaker and Paul in the left speaker. In the hit version the voices are mixed together in the middle. This is my favorite version:

Here is the hit version:

BTW the song is 'The Sound of Silence' and the album is 'Sounds of Silence'.
I will Vote for the First Version of the two also. Sounds Clean.

So much YT out there to Listen to in the background.

I am currently reading a book about Richard Perry, the amazing record producer whom in 1968 recorded Fats Dominos version of Lady Madonna. Paul said his inspiration for writing the song was
Fats. Fats kicked some butt with a tremendous recording:

I am currently reading a book about Richard Perry, the amazing record producer whom in 1968 recorded Fats Dominos version of Lady Madonna. Paul said his inspiration for writing the song was
Fats. Fats kicked some butt with a tremendous recording:

Pulling out some vintage stuff there for sure Tom. Nice. Crazy to think about some of these cats, back in the day, just scraping and Gigging to make ends meet. All word of Mouth advertising. Wonder if they really had an net worth, during their time on earth? I bet their estates have made 1000x over in death as they ever earned in life. Some Great Pioneers of the music industry. Those cats paved the way for many to follow.

Wally,

We once took in a show with a up and comer off of American Idol, Chris Daughtry? We were taking in the show at the Freeman Col. That is in the same parking lot as the newer AT&T center in San Antonio.

The acoustics were so bad we walked out half way thru the performance. Not sure if it was the band's lack of equipment that carried poorly thru out the venue or if it was just the building itself. This venue presented many shows earlier PRE-AT&T days.

Wally,

We once took in a show with a up and comer off of American Idol, Chris Daughtry? We were taking in the show at the Freeman Col. That is in the same parking lot as the newer AT&T center in San Antonio.

The acoustics were so bad we walked out half way thru the performance. Not sure if it was the band's lack of equipment that carried poorly thru out the venue or if it was just the building itself. This venue presented many shows earlier PRE-AT&T days.
I suspect it was the building. The Freeman Coliseum is very old, and built for basketball and rodeos. It never made a good concert building.

I still remember getting ready for high school one morning while watching the news with Hughes Rudd, and hearig that Jim Croce had died. So sad, I was a huge fan.
I like watching live stuff.

My wife hates his music because her X looked just like him. Funny thing is I like her X. Her family thinks it's weird but I think it's good for my daughter that her two dads get along.

Handing my grandson to her other grandpa is pretty cool. Good guy.

Last edited:

RIP, Jim Croce. This article said he was at the end of the tour, but going to Austin TX to play a small college. I had heard, but never have seen it in print, but there was talk of him appearing at ASU in San Angelo also at the time of his death. I have never been able to confirm that in any article I have read though. Makes sense as Austin is only 200 miles from there.

REO Speedwagon. Caught them Minus Gary Richrath a few years ago at the Majestic Theater in Downtown San Antionio.

The Majestic is a Great place to take in a Show! Not easy to leave the venue as it is on a one way Street and they have a multi level parking Garage near, Better to park and pay a block away and walk to the Theater.

I am reading a book by Richard Perry, one of the most gifted producers in the history of music. I found out he produced Nilsson. That reminded me of the time my wife left for a trip to visit her sister and wanted me to lend her a few cassette tapes for the journey. I gave her a few and off she went. Well one of the tapes contained Hilsson]s song "You're Breaking My Heart". She had never heard the song and it caused her to almost drive off the road.

I am reading a book by Richard Perry, one of the most gifted producers in the history of music. I found out he produced Nilsson. That reminded me of the time my wife left for a trip to visit her sister and wanted me to lend her a few cassette tapes for the journey. I gave her a few and off she went. Well one of the tapes contained Hilsson]s song "You're Breaking My Heart". She had never heard the song and it caused her to almost drive off the road.

I was looking for a old Hendrix song, and it had very similar repetitive "lyrics" theme I can say.... I can't remember the name of the Album? My friend had it, but for some reason his was Red in Color Vinyl.
I would not dare to post it, but if I can find a copy I will IM you...

I wonder about you. :D

I do remember some old memories of previous shared conversations.... you were a big concert going guy, back in the day out in California?.....

I was looking for a old Hendrix song, similar repetitive lyrics theme I can say.... I can't remember the name of the Album, but for some reason his was Red in Color Vinyl. I would not dare to post it, but if I can find a copy I will IM you...

I wonder about you. :D I do remember some old memories of a conversation you were a big concert going guy, back in the day out in California?.....
i don't know about the Hendrix album, I stopped buying records 40 years ago. Yep I have been to a million concerts.

Back
Top Bottom